tedm
Ted Mendham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
once upon a time drove WRX, Sentra, SAAB 99

Cherokee Trails Cancellation, thoughts?
March 06, 2006 07:26PM
Hi,
I realize that most of the regulars on this forum are NorthWestern North Americans, but what do you all think of the lack of entries and last minute cancellation of CT?
No agenda or spin from the old Tedneck here. I just want to see what people who are unencumbered by the alledged mind police elsewhere have to say.
Thanks,
Ted Mendham

Ted Mendham
www.rensport.net
Please Login or Register to post a reply
sagsert
Mustafa Samli
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Gaylant VR4

Re: Cherokee Trails Cancellation, thoughts?
March 06, 2006 09:35PM
I heard about the cancellation last night during our bootleg WRC Messico get together.

I dunno why, I dunno who. I am sad that a rally got cancelled due to lack of entries. Well at least that's what we are told. If there are other contributing reasons / factors, do tell us for information purposes.

Cheers
M.Samli
Phoenix AZ
Gaylant VR4
EVO III GSR (Stolen)

Rallies are no place for traitors
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 06, 2006 10:03PM
Who can say?
I have spent a couple of hours looking at their stages on some fancy schmantzy amp thing and I tell you the roads and the elevation changes make it look like it would be a real gas to drive but the event has always been a troubled event it seems.

It really seems that the Forest Service doesn't want the event there and is trying their damnedest to give the Organisers a hint by jerking them around and charging outlandish fees.

Remember when Spitzner arrived and was mouthing off to the Forest Service guys?

It seems that it may be sheer obstinance that keeps the Organisers trying to do events there rather than scouting someplace else which might be more welcoming.

I just don't think there's the entry numbers locally in the whole southern quarter of the country to make a rally a fure sure deal, unfortunately.

Rally fans and drivers should just move and abandon the South to the redneck Bible thumpers and Nascar clone/clowns.
Maybe the rest of the country could demand an involuntary secession from the Union.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
cbombara
Colin Bombara
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
00 Impreza RSTI

March 07, 2006 08:18AM
Thoughts? Only disappointment! I found the cancellation post about 15 minutes after I fired up my new motor for the first time....I was about 5hrs of work away from being ready to go!

In my opinion (this was the first rally I ever finished) the roads are worth the cost and any associated difficulty in using them. I can't imagine roads better suited to rallying, and some comments I have heard from top drivers support this.

I only wish that there was some way to salvage the event as a 1 day/no recce event, but it doesn't seem like that will happen.

Colin B

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2006 08:23AM by cbombara.
Skye
Skye Nott
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Xratty

March 07, 2006 01:53PM
I don't understand the math. There were 15 entries at over $1000 each, and according to SS.com at least another 4 in the mail that missed the reg deadline by a few days. The event cost more than $20,000 to run?

www.rallyrace.net
cbombara
Colin Bombara
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
00 Impreza RSTI

March 08, 2006 06:20AM
Apparently so....John cited a 5 figure road use fee, so assume a min of 1/2 of that $$ goes to the forest. I can't imagine that notes, printing fees, and insurance wouldn't eat up the rest pretty quickly. It doesn't matter regardless, it was John's call and he felt he had to make it. I'm sure he was as disappointed as everyone on the entry list.

I think the real question should be "Why can't we get more than 20 pre-registered competitors for a rally with some of the best roads in the US?". People wanted more rallies, "bigger" championships, recce, stage notes, and more mileage. It was delivered and few signed up....

-C
Jens
Jens
Junior Moderator

March 08, 2006 08:51AM
tedm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what do you all think of the lack of entries and last minute
> cancellation of CT?

I've been constantly accused of being a broken record, but...

Rally in the U.S. has never, is not, and will never be able to sustain a large, European-like presence.

Currently I'm not financially in a place to rally at all, but if I was..... I can't speak for others (only myself). Unless I was floating in money there is no way I would pay $1,000+ for entry fees. $10 / stage mile is way more than I think it is worth (FOR ME). I thought the $500+ dollar entry fees of a few years ago were ridiculous. I ran some rallies in '99 and '00. With lodging, fuel, food, etc every rally cost me around $3,000 (not including any car parts). I love rallying, but the costs in time, money, dumb rules now outweigh the pleasure factor for me.

I don't know the answer to your question, but perhaps the investment in time and money for CT was not worth it for many people.

NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 08, 2006 09:10AM
Lack of entries comes down to one main thing. Number of events in closer proximity. How many people came down from Oregon, Washington, or California for Colorado Cog this year? Pretty much, zero that I recall. The event survived on National entries and Colorado teams. How many PNW competitors don't do any events outside of Oregon, Washington, or BC? For people in southern California, Oregon, Washington, Great Lakes region, and the North-east, there are enough events within a close proximity that skipping and event with a 1000 mile tow and $1000 entry fee just makes sense. It's part of the reason why most Colorado teams do only Cog. Our closest event is 900 miles away. We are almost to the point though of having enough active teams that we could hold a sustainable event if 80% of our local teams show and no out of state teams. Snow rally at 11,000 feet is one project we're exploring.

Imagine that backdrop! And lack of Oxygen.

Grant Hughes
Jens
Jens
Junior Moderator

March 08, 2006 09:47AM
NoCoast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lack of entries comes down to one main thing.
> Number of events in closer proximity.

Proximity is one factor, but how do you explain 100 Acre Wood having entries? It's out in the middle of the country.

When I lived in Colorado I rallied in Colorado. When I lived in Ohio I rallied in Ohio.

I'd almost bet you could put on one heck of a rally in Montana, but who is going to tow to Montana?

I live in Connecticut. If they put on a rally here I wouldn't pay $10/stage mile even if I didn't have to tow anywhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2006 09:48AM by Jens.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 08, 2006 10:00AM
Not really. It's fairly central and being the CRNC and it has a big reputation. But, it doesn't have that many entries. Look at the number of CRNC entries. And that was only $375 entry. Most Colorado teams paid $650 without much complaint except the people that recalled the $250 entry a few years back. It's inflation at a ridiculous pace.

In my opinion, a National series is stupid. I got into this argument on Monday while we were watching WRC with two local guys who have run or are running all the RA National events, and I stated that I had no intention of running any RA event (regional or national) and they said it was the easiest and cheapest championship for us in Colorado. My argument was that it'd be cheaper to make friends in Oregon, Washington, and California and just run the NASA/CARS events in the west/PNW. Rim, Gorman, Laughlin, Prescott, Doo Wops, Olympus, Mtn. Trials, Wild West, etc. You'd have more events, less costs, and you'd get to fly in to every event. You just have to make sure you either a) can pay someone for in between event maintenance, or my preferred option, b) be prepared to fly out a few days earlier to get the car ready and leave a day later to make a thorough list of what you need. You even get four USRC events in my plan! That could be enough to place in the National Series if you need that ego masturbation.

Grant Hughes
Skye
Skye Nott
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Xratty

March 08, 2006 11:22AM
Totally. From what I hear the competition is better in the West anyway grinning smiley

www.rallyrace.net
Scott Manley
Scott Manley
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4Ti

March 08, 2006 11:14PM
And getting better all the time, right?

Scott Manley
Spokane, WA
86' XR4Ti
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login