Rally Chat
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Time to take control of our own needs...

Posted by derek 
derek
Derek Bottles
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

Time to take control of our own needs...
December 05, 2006 07:03PM
Also posted on SS.com in PNW

With the future of dependible roads from Green Dimond and any like logging company in doubt it might be time to look on the other side of I-5.

http://www.theolympian.com/109/story/53850.html

The huge coal mine has closed in Centrilia, I have flown over it, it is massive. They are already letting 1000 acres go to I guess the local government. Time for a full time rally school, a Nascar Track (are they not still looking) and single venue rally track with a 3 or 4 5 mile stage roads to come in and bring some jobs, some tourisum, and well something better than 600 laid off workers.

Think about it, Paul is running schools now and if people like All Wheels Driven, Cascade, Dave Clark Motorsports, OMP (in Blain now), Primitive's Shop, Silverstone Tires USA etc could be enticed to move, new jobs and so forth in a hard hit area that we already use, DooWops finsihes just down the road now.

Heck even Subi America Rally Team (Vermont Sports Car?) might move, low rent, and free testing roads makes a big impression. Think about poching RMR, and the other LA car places too, hell you could get a lot of the import market companies, I am sure there are large shop buildings there now. H and R is also near by.

Imagin it a large motorsports business complex near ports, airports, with testing gounds, low cost of space, and close to educated work places.

Just a thought.

Derek

In the long run reality always wins.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
derek
Derek Bottles
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

Re: Time to take control of our own needs...
December 06, 2006 01:05PM
I looked on Google Earth and it looks like the complex is about 70 to 100 square miles, I was not saying buy the land that would be nuts.

It is located at 46 45N and 122 50 W.

I was saying the county or city should gain control of the land though donaiton or a low cost lease and organize it like a port district. Port Districs build airports with public money and then maintain the airprot (grade, pave, maintain etc) the land in an attempt to attract a few businesses to locate on the airport that repair planes and pay rent, the rent is often lower than market to get them to come, the businesses then employ people and thus add jobs to the economy. Then via some creative math the port district says we spent 10 million on this project but created new tax revenues of 15 million from the incressed econimic activity from the sales tax, the propety tax, the payrole taxes...

It is a old and long used program. So the question is would Centrailia like to create a major motorsports industrial park? Could they uses this land that is less than supper desirable as it has been a strip mine for 40 years, as a place to hold rallys, motor cross events and 4 wheeling, bringing all the companies to service those sports, the hotels, the resteruants etc into one place that someday could be the base for a WRC event. A WRC event would bring millions to the area... As I noted prior it might be a good place for a NASCAR track too since they are looking still.

I think the idea could be sold to the econimic development manager if someone put together a program and got out and canvased the right staff members that then get it to a vote at the county or city.

Hell not long a go I got the City of Seatac to agree to give us 18million in land and other help to build a hotel. All we had to do was show the tax revenue was going up by 20 million over 20 years in current dollar values.

I can help this along but do not have the time to lead it. However I think this type of thing will need to take place for rally and other motorsorts to grow.

Remember Evergreen Speedway is on public land (State Fair Grounds) - this is not asking for somehting that has not been done prior.

And think of all the motorsporst businesses that all have one proplem - no go place to test, sell, or develop their wares - who would not see that has a huge incentive to relocated right next ot the proving grounds. Thinking real bid get the companies and schools working on remote controlled war tools like the VW that drove its self over the CA wast land need a place to test and manufactur their products.

Derek

In the long run reality always wins.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login