Posted by John Lane 
Scott Manley
Scott Manley
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4Ti

Re: Doo-Wops!!
February 03, 2006 11:29AM
Morton- Probably has less to do with the law as written and more to do with the abandonment of Civil law in this country. Judges operate under administrative law, which is different then the written law. And altogether different then the law practiced in Canada, as well I think. I would add that it is doubtful someone would see jail time for speeding though. It would be far more expensive to the state and they're basically in it for the money. King County rakes in the money with petty law inforcement.

Scott Manley
Spokane, WA
86' XR4Ti
Please Login or Register to post a reply
John Lane
John Lane
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 262turbo AKA the SPE

February 03, 2006 11:36AM
Morten EVEN YOU would have to fail the 'Attitude test' BADLY+do in excess of 100mph to find your way to the pokey. I've done all manner of naughtiness and have only once (deservedly) been offered a ride in a Police car.

Don't be an idiot and you won't have a problem.

JohnLane

Volvo 260turbo AKA The Fire Breathing Monster
Overkill is consistently more fun
Morten
Morten
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt

February 03, 2006 03:12PM
Well... I happen to know someone that got 2 weeks in the Everot mini max and a $1000 fine for speeding on the I-5. He had made a deal with the prosecutor for $500 fine and no jail time but the Judge in Arlington wouldn't go for it.

Ironically when he was in court, the guy who went in front of the Judge before him. Had a DUI and a reckless and had the same deal with the prosecuter ($500 fine and no jail time), and the Judge accepted the deal.

I know it sounds hard to believe, but it happened in January 2000.
Scott Manley
Scott Manley
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4Ti

February 03, 2006 04:35PM
I also know a fellow who was pulled over on his way to Whistler to go snowboarding. He and his companions were arrested and taken back to the boarder. The Canadian police asked the WSP to arrest them for auto theft, cause his name didn't appear on the registration. Duh! he was under 18, you can't legally own a car in your name you're 18. Never mind that his address on his drivers licence and the address on the registration were the same. And the last names, his and his fathers, were the same. He was driving a 59' Cadillac and I didn't believe him until a couple of years later when I was roadying for a friend's band and we were stopped at the boarder. We were in a 61' Rambler. We got read the riot act about how it was a privilage to enter Canada. The big problem they had was that the car ran on Reg. gas, at the time still available in Washington State, and that the speedo wasn't marked in KM. Fortunately they didn't stop the van with the equipment, it was a new rental, but they did remove EVERYTHING from the Rambler, including taking my friend's guitar, out of the case, and throwing it on the concrete.

But that's really the only bad experience I've had. I chaulk it up to being young and in an undesireable car, by Canadian standards at least. Never had a problem since, at least heading North. However, our wonderful boarder guards have been quite genorus with their time in explaining the need for proper identification when entering Fortress Amerikkka.

I've even had my exhaust fall off my car while inline to cross the boarder into Canada. The guard, with a smirk, asked me to turn off my car and pick up my exhaust system. Told him I was going to a car show, he just laughed and let me go, open 3" exhuast and all.

Scott Manley
Spokane, WA
86' XR4Ti
Kirby
Kirby Read
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1981 Volvo 242

February 03, 2006 04:56PM
yeah not to mention the nearby vincinity of the noisemaking airport.
Skye
Skye Nott
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Xratty

February 04, 2006 12:18AM
A significant number of border gaurds are total pricks, no matter what country....

www.rallyrace.net
Scott Manley
Scott Manley
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4Ti

February 04, 2006 12:45AM
Or drunks, not kidding.

Scott Manley
Spokane, WA
86' XR4Ti
Taro
Taro Snell
Mega Moderator

February 05, 2006 04:01PM
Last week I was Driving from Tswassen (bad spelling) to Surrey, I ended up in Point Roberts, at least just before the border. I saw a sign that read Return to Canada, so I pulled a U turn, and ended up at the Canadian Customs booth. The guy asked what my business in the states was, how long, etc, I told him that I got lost and made a wrong turn on my way to surrey. He asked if I had any drugs, weapons, etc, I said no, and my cell phone beeped in my glove box, so I looked across the car. He saw this and roared Why are you looking over there!! I said my phone just beeped, next thing Ièm pulled over, my car is being searched, and Ièm filling out piles of paperwork for smuggling bottle rockets and a fire crackers, plus loosing my 40oz bottle of Famous Grouse that a buddy gave me for christmas.
So much for Friendly Canadians. There is doing your job, and just being an asshole. Those guys were for sure assholes. Little wankers who think are big shots for gaurding the country.
But now Ièm in surrey... interesting experiance to say the least.
But, ièll be down at Doo-Wops. As time gets closer, Ièll have to work out meeting up with you JVL and your cage guy.
Cheers

Taro

Taro Snell
Gabriola Is, Colombie Britannique, Canuckistan
1979 Volvo 240 GrF....eventually
Kirby
Kirby Read
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1981 Volvo 242

February 06, 2006 02:17AM
just tell them to fuck off. Your canadian. what are they going to do refuse you entry?
Scott Manley
Scott Manley
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4Ti

February 06, 2006 10:12AM
Taro- My wife and I did the exact same thing at the same border on our second anniverary. Didn't get searched or harrassed though. I think they found if funny that US Citizens didn't know they were attempting to enter their own country by mistake. I've lived in Washington State all my life and nobody I know has even heard of Point Roberts.

Scott Manley
Spokane, WA
86' XR4Ti
Taro
Taro Snell
Mega Moderator

February 08, 2006 09:55PM
Yeah Kirby, I was very tempted to tell them to fuck off. But last time I told anyone to fuck off he was a constable that I couldn't see in a crowd of people laughing at me. He told me to shut up and go in side cause I was being too rowdy. next thing I knew I was in the drunk tank, full of people comming down off meth or some shit. Which is all well and good, but I was dead sober, wasn't even at the party long enough to have my first drink. So since then I've managed to keep being a dick to a minimum. At least until someone crossing my line.
But where I come from, there are 3 cops, so I can't really avoid them if I see the same damn one every day at the gas station, restaraunt, or bar.
Here a question for you washington people. Why would you live in Point Roberts anyway?
Cheers

Taro

Taro Snell
Gabriola Is, Colombie Britannique, Canuckistan
1979 Volvo 240 GrF....eventually
Kirby
Kirby Read
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1981 Volvo 242

February 09, 2006 02:16AM
Point roberts is a weird place. Why they arn't part of BC is beyond me. They get their telephone service from bc and everything. If you were to walk across in most areas bordering it. One Street ends in tswassen there is a small ditch and then the street continues and boom your in the usa. its rather amusing. Check out Bay View Dr. on google maps it's rather amusing.
Morten
Morten
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt

February 09, 2006 05:07AM
Point Roberts has it's benifits for some people.

There are those who own houses there (Canadians), in order to have a US shipping address. It also makes shipping to Canada alot easier by having things shipped to Point Roberts.

A lot of the customs and other infrastructure that is in place at other crossings do not exist at the Point roberts crossing.

The boat launch on Point roberts is also an excellent place to launch a personal watercraft from when crossing the Georgia Straight, to Active Pass, and onto the Gulf Islands. I've made that trek a few times when owned my GP1200. A little hairy when there's a small craft warning, but a ton of fun !

derek
Derek Bottles
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

February 09, 2006 10:48AM
My father in law lives there and likes US taxes, and his US business but he can enjoy the socity of Canada for shopping, dinning etc.

Derek

In the long run reality always wins.
Rally291
Matt Manspeaker
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Some ugly imported thing

February 20, 2006 11:01AM
I suspect that it has more to do with zoning, commercial vs residential. I'm surprised it took this long for it to become an issue.

If I were his neighbor, I wouldn't be too happy about it either. Very few people want to live next to a salvage yard

Matt
PNW USA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login