Please Login or Register to post a reply
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

Re: Rally Anarchy club car?
February 16, 2012 12:13AM
John, there is no good reason NOT to use a wagon other than they are not 2 door. Same wheelbase. Same running gear. Same suspension. Same front body panels. Hauls more shit. There may be a free one available. It might be 50lbs heavier at most.

You know me, I love me some wagons. What would be more grin inspiring than the sight of a multi colored shit box Volvo wagon sideways on a gravel stage?

It is pretty obvious you wont agree with this unless it is a 2 door. I would love for it to be a 2 door. Find us one for free/next to nothing that runs and drives.

I think a project like this might be just the thing to jump start a social rally building club.
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

February 16, 2012 01:08AM
Tim Taylor
Chop it into a pickup and rally the Fjord Ranchero smiling smiley

This was actually the eventual plan for the Lolvo.
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

February 16, 2012 01:22AM
john vanlandingham
What the fuck is it with purposely doing weird shit just for the sake of weird?
Why not put a Volvo wagon bodyshell on a 10'' lifted 4x4, CHEVVY POWER DUDES!!

OK, that clinches it. Because it would piss John off so much I wanna do it! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Anyway John, it's not doing weird shit for the sake of weird. It's a car that's available that just happens to be a wagon. If you want to spend $800 on a 2 door then go for it and I'll just keep the Lolvo and turn it into a pickup (just for the sake of being weird.) But that's $800 less to spend on the building of the project. A wagon is no different than a sedan except it has a longer roof. Also, this:
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

February 16, 2012 01:32AM
The Lolvo:

The Lolvo was originally purchased by Dave Hintz with the intent to turn it into a LeMons racer but plans changed. I did a bunch of work on it and eventually he traded it to me for rebuilding the transmission in his BMW. I'm not gonna lie, it has some issues but it runs most of the time. It's pretty slow. I kind of like it but I kind of hate it. I might be persuaded to offer it up for community service.
heymagic
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

February 16, 2012 01:36AM
Doivi Clarkinen
john vanlandingham
What the fuck is it with purposely doing weird shit just for the sake of weird?
Why not put a Volvo wagon bodyshell on a 10'' lifted 4x4, CHEVVY POWER DUDES!!

OK, that clinches it. Because it would piss John off so much I wanna do it! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Anyway John, it's not doing weird shit for the sake of weird. It's a car that's available that just happens to be a wagon. If you want to spend $800 on a 2 door then go for it and I'll just keep the Lolvo and turn it into a pickup (just for the sake of being weird.) But that's $800 less to spend on the building of the project. A wagon is no different than a sedan except it has a longer roof. Also, this:

If we do the Volvo SW into a pickup and the do a small block Chebby it could be a Volvorado....

I'm good with a wagon. 2 door rally cars aren't quite as good as a 4door for me anyway.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 16, 2012 02:19AM
phlat65
John, there is no good reason NOT to use a wagon other than they are not 2 door. Same wheelbase. Same running gear. Same suspension. Same front body panels. Hauls more shit. There may be a free one available. It might be 50lbs heavier at most.

You know me, I love me some wagons. What would be more grin inspiring than the sight of a multi colored shit box Volvo wagon sideways on a gravel stage?

It is pretty obvious you wont agree with this unless it is a 2 door. I would love for it to be a 2 door. Find us one for free/next to nothing that runs and drives.

I think a project like this might be just the thing to jump start a social rally building club.

I don't give a shit 2 door or 4 door. I think it is flat bizarre that you would say "Its pretty obvious that you won't agree...blah blah"
It ain't obvious, in fact all the guys who I have talked to and who have subsequently gotten Volvos I've said get whatever CAR pops up, and remember they stopped importing 2 doors in early 80s--I have warned them of that..
Where'd you get that shit?

Do we know Clark will just give that car away? I don't. I just think the weird factor is overplayed.

And all you pups who don't know history: Saab 95--the wagon version of the mighty 96--was used to take Erik Carlsson to 4th in 1961 Monte Carlo rally, but Saab team had a real reason: the new 4 speed box was just introduced and so had the 95 and 5000 had been done---5000 were needed for homologation in Group 1.

And Sean, the biggest advantage the fact there's 6-10 Volvos in the Pick-n-pull at any given time plummets with wagons...seems around 1 wagon to 15 sedans,.

Whatever.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
sidewaez
Blake Lind
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
orange AE86

February 16, 2012 02:23AM
Ill donate a sparco sprint seat
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

February 16, 2012 02:35AM
john vanlandingham

And Sean, the biggest advantage the fact there's 6-10 Volvos in the Pick-n-pull at any given time plummets with wagons...seems around 1 wagon to 15 sedans,.

Whatever.

This is a moot point. All the parts that bolt on are the same between the wagon and the sedan. Well, I guess except for the trunk lid and tail lights.
Anders Green
Anders Green
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

February 16, 2012 09:22AM
With a wagon, you could haul all your spares to the rally in the back. Probably the tools too. AND drive it there, no trailer needed. smiling smiley

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

February 16, 2012 09:32AM
No need to attack me John, you used some pretty harsh words in your response to the suggestion of a wagon, which led me to believe you would not agree on a wagon. Did I make a mistake in that assumption?

The intent is to throw together a car in the old fashion of very limited prep, and let some guys have some fun in it. So, what do we do about suspension John, that is where we rely on you.
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

February 16, 2012 10:22AM
The LOLVO looks like a great canidate.

I agree with Anders wagon the way to go. spares / tools / etc go in the back, no need for the current racer to borrow a trailer or a tow vehicle. Driving to the event will also encourage them to drive cleaner and more sensibly since they know they need the car to get home from the event.

Slow is also a good thing with this car. Since the point is have fun and make it available to people that are not necessarily established rally drivers. A reliable, tough, slow car sounds perfect.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 16, 2012 10:25AM
Anders Green
With a wagon, you could haul all your spares to the rally in the back. Probably the tools too. AND drive it there, no trailer needed. smiling smiley

Anders

Yeah and pile them all up in a parking lot, in the rain...
And when the clubbie flips the car and crushed the whole rear bart into a hatchback then spend weeks tracking down where all the parts crawled off to

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Racinkid13
Max
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 MKI GTI

February 16, 2012 10:27AM
If it is indeed going Volvo, Ill donate whatever $$ i can and elbow grease. Since I want to aim for building my own volvo, this would help a lot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login