Rally Chat
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Cameras may not be mounted to competitors’ helmets.

Posted by webkris 
tipo158
Alan Perry
Junior Moderator

Re: Cameras may not be mounted to competitors’ helmets.
May 08, 2012 02:41PM
EricW
Okay, I'm going to intentionally be argumentative right now. Please forgive me winking smiley

What this is coming to, HIGHLY paraphrased... "We don't expect the video editors to know the rules, or the media team, or the racers, or the scruitneers." Who's responsiblity is it to know the rules? The only person not listed there are the Stewards and Organizers. I would think that a rule change, mid season, to address a safety issue that was worthy of its own bulletin would at least be checked and verified. By not doing so, the value of the importance/criticality of the rule change is diminished.

We do expect the scrutineers and the competitors to know the rules. We even test the scrutineers on the rules before issuing them licenses. But, ultimately, all of this is implemented by imperfect individuals who make mistakes or don't stay up to date on the rules.

If a competitor doesn't read the Bulletin and wears a helmet cam in violation of the rules, the stage ATC crew or a steward may catch it and insist that the issue be corrected before the competitor may proceed, but it is ultimately the competitor's responsibility.

And, on the no penalty for helmets/not part of car equipment... consider this scenario:
Car passes tech with all equipment. Driver chooses to change from shoes to sandals or flip flops before the start of the rally. Penalty is...? Or, more safely... driver forgets/chooses not to wear their HANS. Penalty is...? Or not wear their nomex underwear when using less than a 3 layer suit? Penalty...?

If these are caught before the car starts the stage, the competitor is not allowed to start. For the most part, if it isn't caught then, it isn't caught. Unless the competitor posts video of it. And, if the correct people see the video, the competitor will hear from them.

I think most people would be in agreement that *some* sort of penalty makes sense for negligent, willful disregard of safety procedures. But that requires the steward/organizers to weigh each safety violation with their own set of risk criteria to create a corresponding penalty.

This is what happens now.

alan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2012 12:20PM by tipo158.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Super Moderator

May 08, 2012 02:48PM
The odd thing is... while John was in the hospital/out on drugs... this forum had no trolling or flame wars....

Interesting....

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 08, 2012 02:59PM
Dazed_Driver
The odd thing is... while John was in the hospital/out on drugs... this forum had no trolling or flame wars....

Interesting....

Another post from Timmay which is nothing but a complaint...

Don't you have a car you've been not working on for how many years now to work on?

Can you try and contribute something sometime that is helpful, or useful to anybody instead of whining and moaning about people who are helping others?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Super Moderator

May 08, 2012 03:31PM
Actually, it was an observation, not a complaint.

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
heymagic
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

May 09, 2012 10:26AM
I talked with Carl at tech, but didn't actually tech the car..just the restrictor. To explain and not try to justify...tech was a bit of a mess this year. There was a huge SCCA road race contingent using the track, tech signs weren't put out adequately, they were under easy-ups that sometimes were blowing away from the passing storms. To add to the bulletin was new, many of the scrutineering team were new. Many times helmets and suits are left in the bags and the labels are just inspected. maybe not the way it should be but reality is you only have so much time and there always seems to be 10 cars lined up and then none for an hour...I never heard the camera rule discussed by anyone all weekend except I joked with Alan about this thread.

Things get missed at tech, just the way it is. I try to look at different cars each event, I think Alan does also. Most competitors likely didn't know about the cam rule and since Carl is a well established bike racer he probably didn't even think about it being on his helmet. I'll bet he got a nice nasty gram, which is appropriate. We (scrutineering) get to make some calls on safety stuff ( bad helmets, expired belts etc) but don't have to worry much about applying penalties thankfully. Stewards get that job for most issues. Althoug I did have a competitor go to the stewards once because I wouldn't allow his 6 1/2 year old expired belts...guess how that turned out.

National rallies are a very busy time for those involved, from tech to film editing to worker sign-up and that is part of the fun as well as the dread.

OBTW..I did get some time to visit with Keith and while he is one of my favorite Canadians and I'm very glad I know him ...he is a racer so therefore must tell lies, much like fishermen...hot smiley
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

May 09, 2012 10:32AM
EricW
What this is coming to, HIGHLY paraphrased... "We don't expect the video editors to know the rules, or the media team, or the racers, or the scruitneers." Who's responsiblity is it to know the rules? The only person not listed there are the Stewards and Organizers. I would think that a rule change, mid season, to address a safety issue that was worthy of its own bulletin would at least be checked and verified. By not doing so, the value of the importance/criticality of the rule change is diminished.

I don't see why the video/media should know rules pertaining to car prep and/or vehicle safety? I mean, it's good if they do in case they spot something and could report it. But they are being paid to film, they're not there to check if people are running helmet cams or don't have their HANS clipped in.

And where did anyone say the racers or scruitneers are not expected to know the rules? That's a bit "added flavor" to your highly paraphrased quote.

I wasn't at the event, was it mentioned in the driver's meeting by chance? If not, it should be a topic said at STPR.

Violations are at the stewards and organizers discression. If they want to slap on the wrist they can, if they want to exclude the competitor they probably could too.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

May 09, 2012 11:03AM
EricW
Edit: More questions - isn't the RA media team comprised of past competitors who are on a lot of these forums, aka MJ?

I bet MJ goes to specialstage once a year. Maybe more if he's selling something, like his RX8 right now...

Grant Hughes
echoplex
Infallible Moderator

May 14, 2012 06:56PM
Are onboard dash-mounted chickens considered competitors?

Cause they have better image stabilization than Youtube... just sayin.

http://www.onlinesocialmedia.net/20101230/chicken-cam-vs-human-cam-video-comparison-for-stabilization/
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 14, 2012 09:05PM
echoplex
Are onboard dash-mounted chickens considered competitors?

Cause they have better image stabilization than Youtube... just sayin.

http://www.onlinesocialmedia.net/20101230/chicken-cam-vs-human-cam-video-comparison-for-stabilization/

Don't know who you are but that's pure genius. No rules about head mounted cameras on chickens, and no rules about helmet mounted chickens.
PROBLEM SOLVED!

Would you suggest attaching the chicken with duct tape of zip ties?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
beebe
Chris Beebe
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Sold them all!

May 14, 2012 10:38PM
I love it! Had to wipe the tears from my eyes!

Time to head out to the farm store and pick up some chicks!
heymagic
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

May 14, 2012 10:50PM
beebe
I love it! Had to wipe the tears from my eyes!

Time to head out to the farm store and pick up some chicks!

Now in Eric's part of the country they'd be looking to pick up chicks at a family reunion.....
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

May 14, 2012 11:02PM
So, all I have to do is add GoPros to the 8 Rhode Island Reds I have peeping behind me and I'll be an instant rally video bazillionaire? Matt Johnston, send me that Kickstarter check, do I have a deal for you....... winking smiley

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Anders Green
Anders Green
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

May 26, 2012 07:43PM
Not sure how to say that the helmet cam (sorry, I meant DOOM-CAM) view in the GRC broadcasts a few minutes ago made me laugh, because of all this ridiculousness.

But they did. Out loud. grinning smiley

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 26, 2012 08:03PM
Anders Green
Not sure how to say that the helmet cam (sorry, I meant DOOM-CAM) view in the GRC broadcasts a few minutes ago made me laugh, because of all this ridiculousness.

But they did. Out loud. grinning smiley

Anders

You callous bastid.
Laughing at those poor innocent men who will certainly all die.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
TronDD
Tim Meunier
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Subaru Impreza

May 26, 2012 08:35PM
Well we're ALL going to die. At least it can be said that these guys really LIVED because they had a camera on their head.

Tim.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login