Advanced

Cheap shipping from the UK????

Posted by Adrian Thompson 
Adrian Thompson
Adrian Thompson
Godlike Moderator

Cheap shipping from the UK????
February 14, 2007 02:16PM
OK, I"ve already asked this question on the GRM board and Special stage without luck, so let's try here, the bastion of cheapskates.

My nice 240V 130 Amp Sealey Mig welder has been sitting in England since I moved here to work for 6 months. Thirteen years later and unless I hit the lotto and become independently wealthy, I'm here to stay. I'm getting the urge to start with a pile of scrap, waste endless hours and $$ turning it into a different shaped pile of scrape, you know the curse, although this isn't necessarily for rally.

The problem is, searching around the wonderful web, I'm getting quotes of $600-$900 to ship it here. That is somewhat beyond ridicules and more than the welder is worth. I thought of selling it and buying something over here. But used there it's not worth much, and to purchase something comparable over here is over $1,000 new. After cursing, swearing and forgetting about it for a while, I suddenly realized what a wonderfully resourceful bunch of cheapskates many rally guys are. I know that there are plenty of people who bring rally parts over from the UK or mainland Europe, how do you ship them? There's no hurry a slow boat via China or even Mars would be fine. Although I live in Michigan I have relatives in Chicago, so if it ended up on a dock there I could have it picked up once it has passed customs.

So come on cheapskates, help out a similarly sick and twisted soul.

Thanks

Adrian
Please Login or Register to post a reply
PAddy
Patrick McVeigh
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Student Loans

Re: Cheap shipping from the UK????
February 14, 2007 05:49PM
I'd sell it and buy a new Hobart Handler 180. Run circles around the Sealy and probably be cheaper in the end.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login