Rally Chat
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Does anybody know this car (Rally Saturn Ion)?

Posted by SeanP 
starion887
starion887
Junior Moderator

Re: Does anybody know this car (Rally Saturn Ion)?
September 09, 2012 03:51PM
NoCoast
Biggest issue for current rulebook is that main components of cage needs built with 1.75X0.095 which many components are not, which would mean complete recage.
May be OK for NASA with 1.5" if under the wieght limit; those rules folow along the FIA rules as to tubing size. And that size may be granfathered in for any series per that series' grandfathering provisions....hard to tell without a complete review.
Mark B.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
heymagic
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 09, 2012 05:39PM
Cam,

Let me explain some logbook/cage info for you. My name is Gene McCullough (the name missing from the forum is in orneryness protesting silly policies) anyhow I am the western tech supervisor for Rally America and a western scrutineer for Nasa Rally Sport.

In 2007 Rally America brought in new roll cage standards based on the FIA basic design with allowances for DOM tubing as that is the common material in the US. We also allowed earlier logbooked cages to compete if they met the 2004 SCCA minimum spec. Some cars weren't fully built by the 2007 date and we allowed many of those to be logged under the Appendix 1 spec, which was the '04 SCCA spec. This is called grandfathering. Grandfathering should be considere3d a courtesy, it is not a legal right or an absolute. I can issue both RA and NRS logbooks but when something is not to the correct accepted '04 SCCA spec then I consult with Mike Hurst , the Technical Director for Rally America. We go over these older builds and discuss what to do, any required mods and have even had to pull an existing logbook every now and then.

You should pull your EBay listing for the time being. Contact Mike Hurst at tech@rally-america.com . Consult with Mike on what it would take to get the car logbooked at this time. If we can come up with a plan your car will be easier to sell, worth more and we won't be arguing with a new owner next year. Bonus for everyone!

As a side note the NRS cage rules allow for a bit more freedom of design and from that standpoint neither mark nor myself can see enough to amke that decision. One concern there is that every car entered in a Rally America event has to meet RA safety standards, so even with a NRS logbook the car could be turned away.

So if time and budget allows the best path would be to pursue the logbook with Hurst now.

It is a neat car and if out here I'd buy it for my son to do hill climbs with. We built an 03 Cavy with the GMPP Stage 1 kit. Dynoed at 225hp and 224 tq at the wheels. Awesome power plant. 40,000 miles, several track days and road race schools, several drag races (legal ) and nary an issue. Lost 1 mpg over stock, amazing.

So chin up lil' buckeroo and we'll get that car sold.
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

September 09, 2012 05:49PM
Looks to me like that Saturn cage has a 1.75" main hoop.
starion887
starion887
Junior Moderator

September 09, 2012 06:39PM
If the car is in the WIS area, that is in the heart of R-A events so Gene's suggestion makes a lot of sense.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 09, 2012 08:35PM
Doivi Clarkinen
Looks to me like that Saturn cage has a 1.75" main hoop.

Huh, might be now that I look again closely at the door bar to main hoop. That would make for pretty minimal modifications if the important required stuff is sized right.

Grant Hughes
urr
Andrew Sutherland
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru, EVO, Honda, Husky

urr
September 10, 2012 12:09PM
$6-7K for a almost built rally car with Proflex!? Seems pretty fair to me.

Final drive, diff, wheel travel etc kinda don't matter if you're just looking to go have fun 2-3 times per year! Go run a couple events, wreck it and start over! How many people still have their first rally car!!???
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 10, 2012 12:41PM
urr

Final drive, diff, wheel travel etc kinda don't matter if you're just looking to go have fun 2-3 times per year! Go run a couple events, wreck it and start over! How many people still have their first rally car!!???

I do cause I chose a good car to start with and one I could continuously upgrade affordably

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

September 10, 2012 08:23PM
urr

Yeah I don't think anybody is really arguing on the price. Fuck.. if I had the money I'd consider buying it. It's really just a cage away from being stage ready. I don't think you could get a G5 car like this any cheaper.
gagegregory
Gage Gregory
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Eagle Talon Tsi

September 10, 2012 09:11PM
Or you can buy a real one for $6.5 with proven performance and REAL rally's under its belt...Just sayin.. http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?7,70275 ..Oh and with a current log book.. You can ACTUALLY GO RACE IT!!LOL

Gage
batman
Cam Douglass
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2005 Saturn

September 10, 2012 10:02PM
I tried talking another guy out of the car today. He made the trip up from Chicago anyway. First guy to look at the car and he couldn't peel off the hundies fast enough. He put dealer plates on it, smoked the tires hard through second and got a nice long bark in third gear. If your driving on the 94 tonight watch out for the silver flash!
heymagic
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 10, 2012 10:13PM
Well congrats on the sale. It was a deal on a really fun platform. Since you're into cars and I'd guess our kinda guy you should stick around and join in the fun. Many of us are pretty close, although you'd never know it from the 'discussions' grinning smiley Lots of knowledge, tips, tricks and most importantly opinions!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 10, 2012 10:52PM
heymagic
Well congrats on the sale. It was a deal on a really fun platform. Since you're into cars and I'd guess our kinda guy you should stick around and join in the fun. Many of us are pretty close, although you'd never know it from the 'discussions' grinning smiley Lots of knowledge, tips, tricks and most importantly opinions!

Yeah, 6K would just about cover a really nice rwd car if you started with a good 200-400 car, and you do work yourself.
Of course you aren't welcome in Canada unless you want to spend a lot more on your 2wd car because their top 4wd cars are too fast, so gotta limit another class..

That's the logic Gene, isn't it?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

September 10, 2012 10:55PM
batman
I tried talking another guy out of the car today. He made the trip up from Chicago anyway. First guy to look at the car and he couldn't peel off the hundies fast enough. He put dealer plates on it, smoked the tires hard through second and got a nice long bark in third gear. If your driving on the 94 tonight watch out for the silver flash!

Can't argue with Franklin portraits!!! Even if it needs a cage, it was a deal for someone! I always liked my wife's old 94 Saturn SL2 (I drove it as "my" car for awhile, and it went pretty good for what it was), and those Ecotecs are decent engine in the later cars.

Cam, stick around here, I like you!

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
SeanP
Sean Lane
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 Dodge Neon G2, bruised

September 10, 2012 11:08PM
fiasco

Cam, stick around here, I like you!

x2.
krisdahl
Kris Dahl
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Integra, Civic

September 11, 2012 06:50PM
Seemed like a pretty damned good deal at $6900. Kudos for the sale, maybe someone will spend the time/money to get it on stage.

Best of luck!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login