Carthik
Carthik S
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1999 Honda Civic 2DR

Advice on Non-Studded Snow Tires
January 11, 2013 12:27PM
Hello RA, I went MIA for a while there.

What's the best performing non-studded snow tire? I needed to order my new tires last week! Must be available in 13" or 14". Car is a 1992 Honda Civic Si, 125HP, approx 2200 lbs. Though I will be running them on a 1999 Honda Civic Si/SiR, 160HP, approx 2600 lbs till I get my 1992 Civic prepped. The 1992 Civic will be a dedicated rally car.

I would like to run them on a 14x6 aluminum wheel, though if that is too wide I can use a 14x5 or 14x5.5 steel wheel, I also have the options of running 13" steel wheels if 14" treads are too wide for this application (I think the 13s are 5" wide).

I've heard the Michelin X-Ice are among the top performers. What about the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R? I"m looking for the best performer in mainly deep snow and some ice.

Thanks,

Carthik

Carthik S
1999 Honda Civic 2DR

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 12:49PM by Carthik.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
KTurner
Kevin Turner
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
2wd Impreza... dude you should do an sti swap

Re: Advice on Non-Studded Snow Tires
January 11, 2013 12:45PM
I've got a set of the x-ice2's and am very happy with them. From an informal survey the Michelins are quieter, get better milage, and don't get super soft in warm temps like the Nokian stuff does. Probably can't go wrong with either for a road tire.

-KTurner
Stomp down on the exhilarator and hold on to the wheel.
Carthik
Carthik S
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1999 Honda Civic 2DR

January 11, 2013 12:48PM
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear enough. Edited my first post. This is for a rally car, that will not run studs.

Carthik S
1999 Honda Civic 2DR
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

January 11, 2013 01:09PM
No competition experience, but I've been happy with both the Firestone Winterforce and Cooper Weathermaster S/T2 in snow usage.

They're probably not as good (on ice) as a a more ice-oriented tire (most blizzaks, and looks like the michelin x-ice too).

cooper:

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
2023maple
Junior Moderator

January 11, 2013 03:03PM
My experience from SnoDrift says that the Nokians are better in snow and the Blizzaks and X-ice's are better on glare ice... if your not one of the first 10 cars...your on glare ice! I have my Nokians grooved to help with snow traction and the Blizzaks lightly tractionized.... then just bolt on what the weather dictates and services allow. IMHO you need 6-8 tires for the varying conditions and to bolt on if your not careful with the "curbs", so get a a set of your best guess and 2-4 more of the other.
Hope this helps.
Rallymech
Robert Gobright
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
91 VW GTI 8V

January 11, 2013 06:11PM
Deep snow and ice are vastly different. Experience (in Canada) tells me studs are always better. The sidewalls on Hakkas are weak. I have had good performance with Firestone Winterforce.

Robert.

"You are way too normal to be on Rally Anarchy." Eddie Fiorelli.
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Professional Moderator

January 11, 2013 08:04PM
Rallymech
Deep snow and ice are vastly different. Experience (in Canada) tells me studs are always better. The sidewalls on Hakkas are weak. I have had good performance with Firestone Winterforce.
Plus juan on the Winterforce tires. They are fantastic on snow, and decent on ice (studs will always perform better in my experience). They can also be used as some serious grass-o-cross tires, and they're CHEAP too! Don't run them (or any snow tire) on wet or dry pavement for a long time, they will be smoked in 1-2k.

linky-poo
Morison
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

January 11, 2013 08:06PM
Nokians are expensive, last I checked.

I've been running Kumho kw19 winters for many years, recently replaced by the kw22.
The kw19 has been a 'go to' tire in the western Canadian Championship and we see them both studded and not. We allow studs in our regional series, within limits. Usually in deep snow we see the Yokohama AO34s come out.

WalMart, in Canada at least, has 'Marshal' kw19s and 22s which I expect are made under license or on contract. If it isn't the same rubber compound, it won't be the same tire even if the tread pattern is the same.

I'm on my 3rd set of Kumho winters.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

January 11, 2013 08:54PM
Liked the old Yokohama IG10 and IG20 ice tires, but they didn't last long...1.5 winters and the ice sipes were all done.

My current winter tire is a non-studded General Altimax Arctic. They're basically the Gislaveds that were stolen from Nokian when they snagged a couple of their engineers a few years back. Not perfect, but a good street car compromise tire. They're studdable, I didn't, wish I had. I'm on my second winter with them, probably have one more winter left before they become "summer" snow tires or Craigslist curb alert freebies.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

January 11, 2013 09:54PM
My favorite snow tires are whichever ones I get for a decent price on craigslist.
I usually search for Nokian, Gislaved, Subaru Snow and BMW Snow.

Grant Hughes
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Professional Moderator

January 11, 2013 10:06PM
I have a set of iPikes that worked really well, but again, thats just on the street.

I seem to recall someone mentioning they were going to use them for a rally, though. Or maybe they were sold at a rally?

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
Iowa999
no-one of consequence
Elite Moderator

January 12, 2013 09:30PM
I have 215/65/15 General Altimax Arctics on my Evo and like them a lot. Better deep snow grip than Blizzaks and just about as good on ice. Not bad on dirt or gravel if you have a tendency to ignore your daughter yelling "no cut" when just driving her to and from school.

Yeah, an Evo isn't exactly the same as a Honda, but they do come in a few 13" and 14" sizes.
TylerEstes
Tyler Estes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
E30 325E "practice girl"

January 13, 2013 01:15PM

Just be like me about an hour ago and see how close you can get to hitting signs. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Why do you even need brakes? Are you some sort of pansy or something?
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 29, 2013 09:44AM
fiasco
Liked the old Yokohama IG10 and IG20 ice tires, but they didn't last long...1.5 winters and the ice sipes were all done.

My current winter tire is a non-studded General Altimax Arctic. They're basically the Gislaveds that were stolen from Nokian when they snagged a couple of their engineers a few years back. Not perfect, but a good street car compromise tire. They're studdable, I didn't, wish I had. I'm on my second winter with them, probably have one more winter left before they become "summer" snow tires or C
raigslist curb alert freebies.

Thinking about a set of these for our outback. Funny thing was I remembered this post, thought, I think this is the tire Andrew was saying were basically rebadged gislaved.

Grant Hughes
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

September 29, 2013 11:48AM
According to a Volvo forum:

General Altimax Arctic = rebranded Gislaved Nordfrost 3. They're both Continental products.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login