deaner
Dane Aura
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

Re: Adventures of a FWD guy in a RWD car
August 28, 2013 02:48PM
Slowwpoke
Exactly! The middle pedal is for transits.

Hahaha.

Very Entertaining read!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt, under construction

August 28, 2013 02:49PM
Morison
Slowwpoke
I wonder which transition is easier...
I'm a RWD driver through and through. I drove volvos as my Daily driver forever and thrashed the hell out of them. My first rally car was a RX7.

Where the comparison comes in is that I shared the RX7 with my co-driver in rallycrosses and he was a FWD guy who went on to be successful in a Gr2 Golf. He had massive trouble running the rally cross courses without spinning out in the RWD car yet when I took his golf for a run on a test day, it came to me quickly. At the end of the day I'd admit he's a much better driver than I am, but not in a RWD car.

The main difference, I find, is you have to be further ahead of a RWD car than a FWD car.

this reminded me that my youngest brother cannot drive a fwd car, he can haul balls on a logging road, rallycross, autocross or tarmac road in rwd, but the moment he tries to drive a fwd car spiritedly he wrecks it
slidewayswrx
Patrick Darrow
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Swedish John Deere

August 28, 2013 09:41PM
Merrilee, I still chuckle thinking about my experience getting used to fwd at that rallyx. Don't have to huck a colt quite as hard as the ol rally tractor it seems. Good times!

Zap zap my ass...
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt, under construction

August 28, 2013 11:40PM
hahaha, yeah, I remember that, it's always kinda fun to see people drive either the colt or the mutant for the first time, they truly are a point and shoot car
starion887
starion887
Infallible Moderator

August 29, 2013 03:27PM
One big factor in any car transition is overall weight, length, and rear overhang weight. With a hard driven RWD, how much weight hangs out past the rear wheels makes HUGE difference in how you have to throw it, how far in advance you start, and how fast you can rotate the car to change directions. So a lot of drive configuration crossover experiences will vary; for example, how many FWD cars have a lot weight/length behind the rear wheels? Similarly, the overall car weight makes a big difference too.

I am thinking that Hoche's experience was in similar FWD and RWD cars in terms of size, weight and rear overhang. If he had tried a heavy RWD car, I expect it would have been even more of a transition experience.

Mark B.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

August 30, 2013 12:20PM
Next up: The Chadillac!

Self-righteous douche canoe
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 30, 2013 01:55PM
starion887
One big factor in any car transition is overall weight, length, and rear overhang weight. With a hard driven RWD, how much weight hangs out past the rear wheels makes HUGE difference in how you have to throw it, how far in advance you start, and how fast you can rotate the car to change directions. So a lot of drive configuration crossover experiences will vary; for example, how many FWD cars have a lot weight/length behind the rear wheels? Similarly, the overall car weight makes a big difference too.

I am thinking that Hoche's experience was in similar FWD and RWD cars in terms of size, weight and rear overhang. If he had tried a heavy RWD car, I expect it would have been even more of a transition experience.

Mark B.

Valid points.
I still maintain that the biggest factor FWD vs RWD driving is the level of prep--the spec of the car.. A POS FWD is a POS first, and a POS RWD is also first a POS. Driving POSs is not driving really, its fighting with and driving around all the short comings..
Conversely a well specced FWD---decent suspension, brakes, grip and steering reacts pretty much like a well specced RWD with good suspension brakes and grip.
Dousch-canoe is way way familiar with his 2 Golves which are both "pretty good" (although is he wasn't such a gawddamn pinch-penny dousch-canoe we could improve the suspenion very easily) and they have good steering, decent enough brakes and good grip and good gearing...
We really don't know what the spec of the pooor innocent thing he was beating on, maybe it still had OEM recirculating ball vague ass 7 turn lock to lock steering, poopy ol worn KYB shocks, sky high gearing (which affects how the car reacts to stomping on the gas)..His cars are good..
(not saying that this car was "bad" there is a big range from "bad" to "pretty darn good".)

And in any case I maintain that it is THE ROAD which determines what we do: the surface, its pitch or crown, the corner etc and that's far more decisive than the drive configuration.

We've seen this a hundred years ago at Championship level in the real gravel countries when people who were lifetime RWD guys got out of thier say works Ascona B, a near perfect RWD car (99.1" wheelbase) and into Kadett GSI/Astra GTE (also 99.1" wheelbase). They did the same sort of results in the FWD as they had previously done in their Asconas...
many said "Oh it took a few hours but that was it, same as any other car"
Conversely we saw say Stig Blomqvist who had been in Saabs since the late 60s jump into Ford Sierra Cosworth, not just a rwd car but a crazy RWD car and do 2nds and 3rds with it against the all conquering Lancias (see 1987 1000 Lakes with Blomqvist and Vatanen fighting for the entire event over 2nd and 3rd)
If it was really a big deal, we would not expect to see these long term in one or the other guys instantly doing the same results.
There are other guys doing the same but I don't think you guys are familiar with the names or their results so no point in blathering.

In cornering it is all about moving grip to the front wheel(s)--especially the outside front without which--regardless of FWD or RWD-- you ain't going round the corner..
Going down straights its all about how much power the motor makes multiplied by what the gears do--ie FULL GAS, so cornering is "basically the same" and straights are basically the same...

The ONLY thing different is when/if the ass end is REALLY OUT THERE, the FWD rear tires are scrubbing and slowing, the RWD tires will accelerate.
So looping out --when waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay sideways---if a potential factor.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Pete
Pete Remner
Super Moderator

August 31, 2013 10:38AM
hoche
I realize at one point that on exits of turns, I'm just flinging the wheel free and then catching it.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 31, 2013 12:11PM
Pete
hoche
I realize at one point that on exits of turns, I'm just flinging the wheel free and then catching it.

Cool documentary!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login