Posted by smwwoody 
smwwoody
David Woodring
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
none yet

Car Transport Ideas
September 01, 2013 09:07PM
I am looking at MartinB's car. http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?7,87917

Who has some good ideas about how I could get it back to Virginia. If I had the time I would go get it myself but I really dont have the 6 days to make the trip right now

Thanks

Woody
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Car Transport Ideas
September 02, 2013 01:43AM
4000km=2400 miles Edmonton to Richmond. Average 75mph and that's 32 hours driving time.. Drive 18-19 hours, rest, do the rest 2nd day..

So fly up, drive back in 2 days.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
smwwoody
David Woodring
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
none yet

September 02, 2013 09:00AM
I have done Bellingham WA to Richmond VA towing a trailer a few times in 3 days. edmonton is about 500 miles closer and you cut out most of the mountians, so i guess it could be done in 2 days
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 02, 2013 11:15AM
smwwoody
I have done Bellingham WA to Richmond VA towing a trailer a few times in 3 days. edmonton is about 500 miles closer and you cut out most of the mountians, so i guess it could be done in 2 days

Yep, I did Seattle to Boston and back I don't know how many times--but 3 just moving back.. In a 1971 Saab 96 with the mighty Ford V4 powerplant I'd do that in 3 days, 3 hours.. But then I shot for a 50 mph overall average including sleepy time..20 hours=1000 miles/day.

Might be nice to knopw what the gearing is, but whatever should be OK.

It SHOULD be reliable enough.

I looked at all kinds of alternate roots, no more than maybe 2 hours difference.. so some of Canada! Go oooooover the top of the Great Lakes and come down via Michigan-- Western Ontario is truly amazing..and empty...
Northern Michigan is surprising: Pretty!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Morison
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

September 02, 2013 11:34AM
1 day travel to get to edmonton
bank on 3 days to get home. A car with race seats and DMS doesn't do long hauls well. I drove my RS home from Vancouver and it wasn't the most fun.
4 days total.
The car will be reliable, I know it - and the seller - well.
Understand importation of a vehicle well before you do it.

Gas and hotels in Canada are more expensive and driving through northern Ontario is 2 lane highway for much of it and 55mph limit with cranky police. You're probably better getting back into the US as soon as you can, particularly if you want it to be a cheap and quick drive.

The drive across the tip of wiscionsin (hwy 2) is nice, from what I remember, but it's been 20 years since driving that way. I remember going around Chicago being a choice of toll roads or a painful drive. But, again, it's been a while.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 02, 2013 11:48AM
Yeah Morison's right. nobody could possibly drive 20 hours striaght in a rally car for a couple of days straight...

Oh wait.
People in RALLIES inside RALLY CARs used to do 20+ hours and do dozens of stages in between--100% of it on skinny 2 lane at most type roads...

But we are all pussies now, those men were men.

Yep better reckon 400 miles max/day. then min 8 hours sleep so at least 8.

Guess that nixes that car.

I did forget the gruesome ordeal of crossing into Fortress Americaâ„¢ with a Canajian car---which I hope the TITLE is in your name...and insurance policy is in hand, and a good notarized, signed Bill of Sale and above all minimum 24 or 36 hour advance notification... And a :
Certificate of compliance from the Canajian importer that the car meets all relevant 'Merikanski pollution laws.
Add 2 days for that.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2013 12:08PM by john vanlandingham.
smwwoody
David Woodring
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
none yet

September 02, 2013 11:50AM
wow 2500 mile road trip in a rally car???
Morison
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

September 02, 2013 12:07PM
john vanlandingham
People in RALLIES inside RALLY CARs used to do 20+ hours and do dozens of stages in between--100% of it on skinny 2 lane at most type roads...
All I was saying - haven driven a 2.5 RS with DMS from Vancouver to Calgary, with Thunderbird thrown into the middle - was that the long straight hauls ARE going to be tiring. Push a little bit, to get the suspension actually working, and the ride gets much MUCH better.
Not saying it can't be done, just that it won't be fun, but the seats will make it easier. (I can spend WAY more time in a good race seat than I can in a road car seat)

john vanlandingham
Or, maybe, the suspension was softer. We came to the conclusion that we were effectively using JUST the sidewalls for suspension most of the time on the road, particularly since we were running winter tires with flexy sidewalls on that trip.

I suppose you could look at it as a massage chair...

But... whatever. I wasn't trying for drama... just sharing some of my experience. Everyone has a different tolerance for road trips and as I get older I'm not ashamed to say I don't really want to drive much more than 14 hours in a day without a significant stop or two if I'm the lone driver.

Really wasn't looking for any drama...

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 02, 2013 12:14PM
Morison
john vanlandingham
All I was saying - haven driven a 2.5 RS with DMS from Vancouver to Calgary, with Thunderbird thrown into the middle - was that the long straight hauls ARE going to be tiring. Push a little bit, to get the suspension actually working, and the ride gets much MUCH better.
Not saying it can't be done, just that it won't be fun, but the seats will make it easier. (I can spend WAY more time in a good race seat than I can in a road car seat)

john vanlandingham
Or, maybe, the suspension was softer. We came to the conclusion that we were effectively using JUST the sidewalls for suspension most of the time on the road, particularly since we were running winter tires with flexy sidewalls on that trip.

I suppose you could look at it as a massage chair...

But... whatever. I wasn't trying for drama... just sharing some of my experience. Everyone has a different tolerance for road trips and as I get older I'm not ashamed to say I don't really want to drive much more than 14 hours in a day without a significant stop or two if I'm the lone driver.

Really wasn't looking for any drama...

I understand.. But most people are giant pussies in the past as well and it's the irony of cars, seats even the roads being vastly better, and yet people say they're whooped after SITTING ON THEIR BUTT for xx hours...

Guess it really whatever you're used to...

Forgot about all the INBOUND bullshit that the AmerikanischGeheimstatspolizei will doubtless subject the guy to if he shows up with a caged car and all the foll-du-rall.

I wouldn't do that for any reason--again..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2013 08:31PM by john vanlandingham.
TronDD
Tim Meunier
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Subaru Impreza

September 02, 2013 05:44PM
I haven't done 2500 miles in a single go, but I have driven my rally car many hundreds of miles on the DMS struts to, from, and at, events. A couple or few hundred on gravel tires, too. Totally do-able.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind going to pick it up for you... Now there'd be a cool job. Driving race cars across the country. smiling smiley

Tim.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

September 02, 2013 07:25PM
TronDD
I haven't done 2500 miles in a single go, but I have driven my rally car many hundreds of miles on the DMS struts to, from, and at, events. A couple or few hundred on gravel tires, too. Totally do-able.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind going to pick it up for you... Now there'd be a cool job. Driving race cars across the country. smiling smiley

Tim.

Oh, and my XR4 street car rides pretty well on JVAB/FoMoSpo 41mm Bilsteins in front (300ish springs) and 50mm Bilstein shocks in the back (with 300lb springs in the stock location). Rides better the faster you go...so you better go fast.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
heymagic
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 02, 2013 09:27PM
There is a vast difference between driving a rally car in a rally and on a cross country cruise. The seats suck, usually aren't adjustable. The seat belts likely aren't legal. The noise level without a helmet would be quite obnoxious. No adrenalin rush, just monotonous droning. Yeah it could be done but a car transport isn't all that much money.
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 acura integra, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

September 02, 2013 09:50PM
Hey Dave I can get u a quote on hauling it through my friend compAny. He hauls cars across Canada and depending on your time line you could get a reasonable rate. Let me know where exactly address wise and ill in I'd you a quote for interests sake.

All bridges burnt, island life is beauty
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

September 02, 2013 09:51PM
Inbox
Fuckin autocowrong

Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

September 02, 2013 09:59PM
I should have called him first, he's not legal to ship to the United States. He does however recommend that you look through U ship apparently you can get a car hold to your neck of the woods from here for $1500-$2000. I hope this helps

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login