Advanced

Do they make this?

Posted by billp 
billp
bill peters
Junior Moderator

Do they make this?
July 16, 2007 11:36PM
I recently purchased and installed a GPS vehicle nav system. The box promised "Turn By Turn" voice prompts.

Well.... It is not exactly the same as a co-driver haha

Is there a nav system that will actually call a road like a stage?

Not for racing but specifically to get used to listening to a co-driver.
It does not have to be as accurate as stage notes but it should not be that hard for the systems that already have voices and built in maps.

Thanks for any info that you might have to share.

Bill
Please Login or Register to post a reply
david amor
david amor
Junior Moderator

Re: Do they make this?
July 17, 2007 12:35AM
Short answer: no.

What happens beetween a co-driver and driver is much more complex than it would seem on the surface. A relationship in the car is learned and it takes alot of time and alot of stage miles... and alot of near misses. As a driver it matters more to me HOW and WHEN the note is delivered more than the content. There are subtleties here. A good co-driver can make a good driver go faster but only if the driver/co-driver have complete trust in one another. A Nav system that describes the road to ME would be worthless unless I could describe the road to the nav system first. For example MY R5 is different than anyone elses R5. It doesn't matter if MOST people would call that turn a R4, If I recce the road myself and it looks like a R5 to me the first time (even if it isn't according to most) it will always be a R5 to me and that's what my co-driver has to call it as. Gets confusing but the main point is that if you're lucky you'll form a tight bond with one co-driver and speed can result. Practice is easy too, you can go for drives around the country (no not at any speed) and both call the corners and see how differently 2 people can see the same road. Doesn't matter though this is one case where the driver is always right. But we're right all the time anyway now aren't we?

Gone fishing
randyzimmer
randy zimmer
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
rallycross 13B Miata

July 18, 2007 01:12PM
I think SAAB/Arnie and Eklund were working on an electronic Navvie for Pikes Peak.
Others know more than I do about this.

I got a NAV device and have it set on Meters to help see and predict distances better , have been using it daily and see some results already.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

July 18, 2007 01:17PM
Arnie was there in 2004 with Stig in the RS200. They had it pretty well dialed in and felt it would give them a competitive advantage and was working well.

Grant Hughes
Pete
Pete Remner
Mega Moderator

July 18, 2007 05:25PM
I do not know what I am at liberty to say about this... grinning smiley

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 18, 2007 09:54PM
Pete Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do not know what I am at liberty to say about

You've said tooooo much already!
> this...
>
>
>
> Pete Remner
> Cleveland, Ohio
>
> 1984 RX-7 reshell
> 1978

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
cbombara
Colin Bombara
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
00 Impreza RSTI

August 07, 2007 11:55AM
I've never seen anything like that but I can give you my perspective on developing the co-driver/driver communication before your first rally....The old-schoolers and "pros" can shoot it down, but it has worked well for my co-drivers and myself to get used to each other.

The first thing that we did was to "recce" a few stages of a rally video game (we use CMR04) and write the notes down. Since I have used Jemba notes before I re-wrote them in that format since it's slightly different from the game. Then we turn off all of the on-screen notification and co-driver voice and play the stages. It took awhile for the co-driver to get a feel for when notes should be called but he figured it out after awhile. Once he started getting it we added in things like using the watch to time the stage, me asking questions on distances/etc, and note re-calls. We did this many times until he right on every turn and could deal with the other "noise" without getting off on the notes.

We did this on my 1st co-d (my wife Kristie) and on my new guy Rob. They were both solid from the beginning with minimal mistakes. Rob said that he would have likely been totally lost at his first rally had we not done the training. And of course the driver needs to be careful to not trust what they are saying immediately otherwise an accident could occur. But you can minimize "wasted stages" where the co-d is totally out of it and you are driving on sight only (which isn't developing anything but frustration).

(and for any doubters, my co-d training on a video game wasn't the reason for my STPR off.... I screwed up, his calls on the stage were perfect..)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login