Posted by czwalga 
czwalga
steve czwalga
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

What can a frame shop do for me.
September 11, 2013 09:35AM
After the towing guys at WV decided to torque twist and rip my rear corner off with their 2nd winch after they used the first winch to hook it on a tree... the rear is not very straight. By towed in i mean its drivable, not some crazy angle, but maybe 3-4 degrees, just throwing a number out there.

Everything in the rear corner was destroyed, so I replaced it all. The rear wheel is still towed in a little, even it adjusted all the way out. The rear subframe doesnt look bent to me but may be.

I'm just wondering what a frame shop actually does, and if its worth it. Or just cut weld do whatever i have to and self align.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2013 09:37AM by czwalga.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
heymagic
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

Re: What can a frame shop do for me.
September 11, 2013 09:43AM
A frame shop can only do so much, they can likely tell you what is bent and how much. If stuff needs replaced it needs replaced. So they can do a lot or maybe not much. Usually for the money it is a deal. We have one a short distance from here and the owner races so is pretty friendly to deal with.
czwalga
steve czwalga
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

September 11, 2013 09:46AM
Maybe ill have to find a local one and just drive the car over. Usually people are more willing to give free advice on race cars.

Opps this was supposed to be in the construction forum. If anyone cares they can move it.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 11, 2013 09:50AM
czwalga
Maybe ill have to find a local one and just drive the car over. Usually people are more willing to give free advice on race cars.

Opps this was supposed to be in the construction forum. If anyone cares they can move it.

Don't worry. First there is nobody. Second it is about in some way, rally---build drive, what happens when things go wrong.

Of course This thread is useless without.........piccies

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
czwalga
steve czwalga
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

September 11, 2013 09:56AM
First pic is the damage I caused. The 2nd pic including the giant dent in the quarter was caused by the 'wrecking' crews.

They were winching it up the hill and the rear kicked out a little, hooking on a tree between the rear wheel and the quarter. They kept pulling until the car wouldn't go any further.

They then decided to get their 2nd truck and pull the rear up the side of the hill. Which would have been smart, but when i told them they need to leave pressure off the first winch to so the car slides back down and unhooks itself they looked at me like i was crazy. So me, my codriver, the people that wrecked right behind me, heavy sweep who were nice enough to stick around in the middle of the woods with us till 1am until the wreckers got there.... all stood there as we heard 3 trailing arms, an axle, rear knuckle, and strut pop.

Car would have been raceable the next day, only damage was cosmetic in the front, and maybe a new wheel.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2013 10:00AM by czwalga.
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

September 11, 2013 09:56AM
We used one after we boogered the left front suspension. The guy pulled the unibody out to spec and we welded the you know what out of it. Time/money well spent in my opinion.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 11, 2013 10:04AM
Grrrrrrrrrrrr.thumbs down fawkin savages

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
heymagic
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 11, 2013 10:19AM
Nasty.
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

September 11, 2013 11:26AM
Im so glad we worked on getting ours out our selves. I know after seeing your car mi ne would of been far worse being in creek on its roof and all. I couldnt believe they did what they did! You have better anger managment then me! How much was it for them to destroy your car again?

At least you saved $100 bucks and had it dropped at the end of the road.

If you can cross measure the cradle to the front of the car some where to make sure its the chassis bent or maybe its just the cradle. If its the cradle i would just replace that. If the chassis is out of square a frame rack can easily fix it. If you were closer you could use mine. But i dont think its worth the drive!! 5 hours to here and we dont even have any good roads close to make it a test day.

First rally 2013
Rally car type AWD subaru
Total rallies as driver 6
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Total rally cars repaired from offs 4
Total years racing exp other then rally 19 yrs
Like 31motorsports on FB!
Check out 31motor sales on ebay for used Subaru parts
czwalga
steve czwalga
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

September 11, 2013 02:05PM
Reamer
Im so glad we worked on getting ours out our selves. I know after seeing your car mi ne would of been far worse being in creek on its roof and all. I couldnt believe they did what they did! You have better anger managment then me! How much was it for them to destroy your car again?

At least you saved $100 bucks and had it dropped at the end of the road.

If you can cross measure the cradle to the front of the car some where to make sure its the chassis bent or maybe its just the cradle. If its the cradle i would just replace that. If the chassis is out of square a frame rack can easily fix it. If you were closer you could use mine. But i dont think its worth the drive!! 5 hours to here and we dont even have any good roads close to make it a test day.

$300. Although i do pay $1.20 extra a month on that car for towing. winking smiley
heymagic
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 11, 2013 04:44PM
Without assigned blame or responsibility...has the organizer been made aware of this situation?
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

September 11, 2013 06:52PM
Gene:

Why would this be an organizer issue? As far as I know, any competitor is entitled to pay for the extraction crew of his/her choice. Plus, if he/she are concerned about what the gratis crew is doing (or the ones they are paying), they are entitled to address those issues.

Don't see that this would ever be an organizer responsibility/claim.

Wilson

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
czwalga
steve czwalga
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

September 11, 2013 07:07PM
This wasn't heavy sweep or anyone associated with the rally. The local firecrew called the wreckers. Your options are pretty much limited. I mean what can you do middle of no where.... late night.

If you say 'dont call these guys next year' well its probably them or no one. It was pretty unique circumstances. for this to happen.

A focus ditched it right behind me... and their car looked to be in worse shape/position than mine before the towing started. They wreckers got them out without a problem and was able to drive the car out of the stage.

Was really a dangerous area to wreck. Was a 'downhill r4- slippery', which was before the inch of rain we had that day. As soon as I wrecked i yelled at my dad to get out asap, my door was pinned on a tree. We just passed 3 people within the last few miles (we missed a stage due to a loose ground on the battery durrrr). So the normal duration between cars wasnt there.

First car asked if we were ok and took off, next car saw us and locked them up, with the grip levels i knew they were done long before they did. Then I finally was able to get up the road with a triangle and slow people down.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2013 07:11PM by czwalga.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 11, 2013 09:09PM
czwalga
This wasn't heavy sweep or anyone associated with the rally. The local firecrew called the wreckers. Your options are pretty much limited. I mean what can you do middle of no where.... late night.

If you say 'dont call these guys next year' well its probably them or no one. It was pretty unique circumstances. for this to happen.

A focus ditched it right behind me... and their car looked to be in worse shape/position than mine before the towing started. They wreckers got them out without a problem and was able to drive the car out of the stage.

Was really a dangerous area to wreck. Was a 'downhill r4- slippery', which was before the inch of rain we had that day. As soon as I wrecked i yelled at my dad to get out asap, my door was pinned on a tree. We just passed 3 people within the last few miles (we missed a stage due to a loose ground on the battery durrrr). So the normal duration between cars wasnt there.

First car asked if we were ok and took off, next car saw us and locked them up, with the grip levels i knew they were done long before they did. Then I finally was able to get up the road with a triangle and slow people down.

Jeezuz, sounds like no fun... Maybe in future we should try to say "Hey I want you to help recover the car but I want to work with you so that the car is not unnecessarily damage further. Will you work with me?"

If they don't want to, point in some random direction and act shocked and shout "LOOK! A MOOSE!" and when they look, cold conk the dumbshits with a lunk wrench, quickly pull the car out carefully, fold up a couple of Cs and shove it in their pocket and get the fuck outta there before they wake up.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
rallyfast18
kevin lester
Ultra Moderator

September 11, 2013 10:36PM
So i have always kinda wondered why teams dont set up themselves for extractions. Any light to shed on that?
I mean good winches and some practice are cheap in the long haul..its not rocket science. (Proof- me and my redneck brethren manage to figure it out without injury or further damage to vehicles )

Olympus has been reclaimed! Now t.v. needs more rally coverage in general! Watch w.r.c. on mavtv...ratings will keep it airing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login