Posted by NoCoast 
heymagic
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

Re: Driving rally car on the street...
September 19, 2013 10:18AM
I don't think you're wrong, especially if they try and load passengers in the back of a street car that has been caged.

When I caged Brent's first street car we removed the back seat, built a shelf on the floor and carpeted it. Did the big gorgeous Sony Xplod speakers on the trunk partition and never had too worry about kids back there.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Nubby
Tony Wells
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
SP Evo IX #112

September 19, 2013 02:36PM
OjNK
I wouldn't want to do it as a daily driver, its amusing to do once in a while but its a pain in the ass to crawl in and out of, adjusting the camlocks every time you get in gets really old really fast, the attention it gets from the decal package isn't really ideal.

And race compound brakes.

SQUUUUUEEEAAAAKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's fucking embarrassing.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 19, 2013 06:09PM
Mark always swapped on some shitty rotors and cheap pads.
You can chew through a set of rotors fast with cold race pads.

Grant Hughes
mekilljoydammit
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
No rally car yet

September 19, 2013 07:54PM
heymagic
Civvie seat belts lock under decel, loose competition belts don't. Windshield bars need padded in all cages, belts need to be tight in all cars at all times. Think of a rally/competiton car as a safety system. It all has to work together or you can get bitten pretty hard.

Funny anecdote - my dad's doing work at a facility doing crash safety stuff for the guvmint, and recently they were doing sled tests with belted occupants to see how far they move. Fully belted occupant, civvy seat belts fastened and even pre-locked... occupant had the hips move something like 12 inches, to say nothing for the upper body. What stopped the forward motion ended up being knees jamming into the underside of the dashboard.

Got me seriously pondering a real seat and harness in my DD, that.
heymagic
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 19, 2013 10:54PM
Between belt stretch and the 'liquidity' of the human body a lot of movement can be had in a crash.

Civvie belts also can toss both occupants to the inside, into each other possibly.

I'm not actually sure of what a guy can legally do with the belt situation. In Bren'ts Sentra we had some reclining back racing style seats, lots of good support and a set of those 4 point street harness'. I've seen so many kids get in wrecks with that first car learning the ropes I made sure mine was as safe as I could make him.

I really hate to see people with the seat laid back being cool or the dumbass passenger with their feet up on the dash board.
AlexeiS
Alexei Stapinski
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Suzuki Swift

September 20, 2013 09:22AM
Maybe it's different in your areas, but as soon as I even think of taking the rally car on the street, I have to worry about cops. Rally cars are cop magnets it seems, and I really, *REALLY* don't want their attention.

I've also had people ask me not to run the car in my neighbourhood in mid-afternoon (and I was just idling/moving slowly with low revs), because I woke their babies up from their afternoon naps with the loud ass Swift sad smiley
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 20, 2013 09:53AM
AlexeiS
Maybe it's different in your areas, but as soon as I even think of taking the rally car on the street, I have to worry about cops. Rally cars are cop magnets it seems, and I really, *REALLY* don't want their attention.

I've also had people ask me not to run the car in my neighbourhood in mid-afternoon (and I was just idling/moving slowly with low revs), because I woke their babies up from their afternoon naps with the loud ass Swift sad smiley

There is no need for noise... and i have generally, since maybe88 reccomended to people to NOT paint their cars all fancy schmanzy full stickered out whoopie dooo exactly because of the unwanted attention...
and not just from cops..

If it is a "plain wrapper" and resoanably quiet, its easier to get out and PRACTICE.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
OjNK
Gordon Sleigh
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS P4WD

September 20, 2013 08:08PM
We've had rally cars pulled over on TSD rallies before and no problems at all from the cops.

The REASON they were pulled over though was that some 'concerned citizen' saw 3 'race cars' 'racing' on an highway on-ramp so they called it in. The officer was completely understanding that they weren't racing in any way, it was just three large b'winged Subarus in a row doing regular on-ramp things. OH THE HORRORZ.

A lot of cops are car guys too, if you're not acting like a douche and driving like a douche for the most part things will be good.

Atlantic Canadian Region Rallysport: http://www.rallyeast.ca - Ledwidge Lookoff Rally http://www.lookoffrally.com
2000 Impreza 2.5RS CARS P4WD (Sponsored by Rally-Tech, Great North Performance)
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

September 21, 2013 01:08AM
MarkHille
I walked out of Home depot in Brooklyn ny two days ago and saw this bad boy sitting in the parking lot.

Anyone know who that daredevil is?

That daredevil right there has driven that car from Brooklyn to the NEFR in Maine just to hangout. That's hardcore Euro style. But then again driving in NY roads you should have rally suspension.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2013 01:09AM by Cosworth.
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

September 21, 2013 01:30AM
That daredevil with the Sentra is me smiling smiley
Did a JDM engine swap recently and been driving it around locally to shake the car down. Currently it is not making the power it should, awaiting a tune...

Not only did I drive it to home depot but we also drove it down to the first viewing of Easier Said than Done yesterday!

rally gods would turn in their graves if they ever knew Lada's were now part of EU rallying!!!
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

September 21, 2013 01:37AM
Next time you gonna take pics let me know - I ll make sure its nice and shiny! lol

rally gods would turn in their graves if they ever knew Lada's were now part of EU rallying!!!
starion887
starion887
Super Moderator

September 21, 2013 08:41AM
I shoulda known! Let us know how Black River went, Ozgur...
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

September 21, 2013 11:12AM
Was hoping to make it out to BRS as it is my favorite event. Unfortunately, as I mentioned the car is not making power and needs a tune. Didn't want to push and bring a questionable car so the plan right now is to head up to tall pines. Its been a while being in the drivers seat as life (2 kids) got in the way and was enjoying that for a while smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login