Posted by reecers 
reecers
Reece
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

How far do you go
September 30, 2013 12:55PM
So I am starting to get more serious about dumping money in my legacy and well trying to see exactly what is going to be my go to rally. I for see only being able to do 2 rallies a year just because every rally I can go to (nasa rally because the leggy will still have a turbo) I live in OKC so as far as I can tell its pretty much a 2 day drive to anywhere. Is this typical for everyone? Also are there any other people from the south/midwest on here? And where do you go. I'm not complaining I am just making sure I am not making this harder than it needs to be. I know the guys competing for RA drive coast to coast but for me and my 2 weeks of vaca a year that is not possible.

I am not an alien

Koolaid on specialstage just an FYI
Please Login or Register to post a reply
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

Re: How far do you go
September 30, 2013 01:15PM
Take the turbo off, come do 100AW and Perryville.

There was a guy with a turbo legacy that simply removed the turbo and did a retune.
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbozzzzzz

September 30, 2013 01:40PM
I didn't even retune! I just bypassed the turbo. Still managed to crash because I was going too fast. smiling smiley

After the wreck, I bought a parts legacy from Chicago, and swapped that engine in. That thing started eating a quart of oil every 30 miles, so I swapped in another 2.2 that I got for $150. That thing has run strong ever since.

But yea, I only did Perryville and 100AW this year due to vacation days (saved for Honeymoon) and $$$ (saved for wedding). Otherwise its a 10-12 hour tow anywhere else.
reecers
Reece
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 30, 2013 01:41PM
yea, iv'e seen Matt's vids of him cussing at the car going up a hill. Perryville is pretty far for just 20ish stage miles. I don't know if i would want to just be putting along. I have already driven a 1982 subaru wagon at rallycross and it is painful to drive with 60ish horses. I can imagine a deturboed car would be about the same. Also retune? I might as well drive to prescott for the additional money and time with a car that has enough power to make me hold back.

I am not an alien

czwalga
steve czwalga
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

September 30, 2013 01:48PM
Stage rally and Rallyx are not the same. It doesnt take much hp to get into trouble especially if you're a new.

Your best bet is just taking the turbo off and running 100aw. Don't even bother with the retune. Your first event power will be the last thing on your mind.
reecers
Reece
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 30, 2013 01:55PM
right, i am not worried about power. My concern would be harming the engine because the old ecu would be doing all sorts of craziness not being used to no boost. I am not new to keeping myself off the go pedal for the first time out. I don't see why there is a restriction anyways but then again we have rules for those of us with no self control. With great power comes great responsibility!! Your right, but I don't want to make more work for myself and be out of an engine when I could clearly have just slowed down and gone to prescott for a couple hundred more miles and a couple more bucks and then gone to rally america when they see I won't wreck on a rally stage with a turbo car, at least I think that's how it works, but I am sure I am wrong.

I am not an alien

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 30, 2013 02:05PM
johnhuebbe
Take the turbo off, come do 100AW and Perryville.

There was a guy with a turbo legacy that simply removed the turbo and did a retune.

Lobby the Foggies to dump the idiotic rule since you guys seem married to Wawwie Amewicah

It was made on a ill-informed, not thought out at all whim, it can be un-made just as easily.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2013 02:07PM by john vanlandingham.
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbozzzzzz

September 30, 2013 02:26PM
The deturbo'ed legacy was still suprisingly quick for a newb. When you are on stage for the first time, speed comes up quick. Granted now that I have a few events under my belt I laugh at how "slow" I was going in it. But the time it felt quick enough. There were only a few sections that I was wishing I was had more power, but for the first event... it worked out okay. Complete sensory overload on the first race, even though I had done several other races as a co-driver in faster cars.

And Perryville is 100% worth the drive for 36 stage miles. Fantastic roads, great great great stuff to learn on. I'd drive 6+ hours to the event if I had to.
HiTempguy
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

September 30, 2013 04:06PM
reecers
right, i am not worried about power. My concern would be harming the engine because the old ecu would be doing all sorts of craziness not being used to no boost.

You mean it would run as if the turbocharger is producing no boost, as in probably 50% of the engines normal running time?

There would be no craziness. It would run perfectly fine. Might be (MIGHT BE, even then it is unlikely) a little rich with the hammer down, but definitely nothing that would harm the engine. Just dog slow. And considering that I've saw noobs go "too fast" for their own good in a 1.8L awd impreza, I doubt a turboless 2.2 will be too bad.
reecers
Reece
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 30, 2013 04:15PM
Adam I hear yea, maybe I am overexaggerating. I just don't like having to cripple a motor on purpose. Also its the 2.0 jdm ej20g engine... but who cares subaru 2. something motor.

I am not an alien

Pete
Pete Remner
Super Moderator

October 01, 2013 07:55AM
reecers
yea, iv'e seen Matt's vids of him cussing at the car going up a hill. Perryville is pretty far for just 20ish stage miles. I don't know if i would want to just be putting along. I have already driven a 1982 subaru wagon at rallycross and it is painful to drive with 60ish horses.

That was you?

I remember this beige-yellow DL bouncing like a bronco, driver not lifting, right past my worker station...

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
reecers
Reece
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

October 01, 2013 08:03AM
Pete
reecers
yea, iv'e seen Matt's vids of him cussing at the car going up a hill. Perryville is pretty far for just 20ish stage miles. I don't know if i would want to just be putting along. I have already driven a 1982 subaru wagon at rallycross and it is painful to drive with 60ish horses.

That was you?

I remember this beige-yellow DL bouncing like a bronco, driver not lifting, right past my worker station...

hah yea, keep her pinned, you might have seen my friend though if it was at nationals. He actually owns the car. So do most people in the midwest just have to tough it out and drive or go to missouri? I guess the consensus around here from reading the new build or buy thread is that most people only do about 2 rallies a year anyways.

also matt i was thinking about that deturbo idea and how did you run the exhaust after taking out the turbo? sounds like a lot of extra stuff going on here.

I am not an alien

fliz
Chad Eixenberger
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 VW Golf #687

October 01, 2013 08:23AM
Most people in the midwest run RA, since NASA has not made a lot of inroads into central events.

That's starting to change with Magnum Opus, maybe other organizers will switch.

Your closest events are RA (Missouri, Texas)

Quick look at google and your 15-18 hours from a LOT of NASA events (South Carolina, West Virginia, Tennessee, SW events).

The downside is not much real close, but you can hit a bunch of different events with a long single-day tow.

I did a 15 hour tow for West Virginia. It was a long day, but not horrible if you've got somebody to split driving duties.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2013 08:27AM by fliz.
bknblk2
Tony Wood
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Citation "Oskar"

October 01, 2013 08:40AM
Just build a pipe with flanges in the same place as the turbo. bolt, drive, win! no racer ever has enough powah, but you will scare yourself straight at 100AW. Perryville is about the PERFECT first rally, good roads, laid back.

Unfortunately the midwest is Rally America country. Unless you are lucky enough to live in a major rally area, the Northwest, MI, etc. a 6 hour tow is going to be classed as "close" My "home " event 100 Acre Wood is 8 hours. If you want to run NASA events, that's fine, but you won't be happy with how many coefficients you will need to run turbo AWD in RA, Hint: years and years of two rally/years.

You will spend far more on towing than you will on unturboing the leggy.

But thats the great thing about rally, if you can find a ruleset that will let you, you can do what ever you like! Tow it to Mexico!
reecers
Reece
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

October 01, 2013 10:08AM
its not about having enough power, its just the hassle of deturboing the car that is annoying because people should have self control and determine things for themselves, but that is of course not how it works. You can wreck the same in any car if you keep your foot down...

I am not an alien

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login