Posted by lelikmed 
lelikmed
Alex Kuklov
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 RS

What to use under the jack?
November 01, 2013 04:45PM
Hey guys, I m new , so just trying to organize service area in a simple and most effective way possible.
I have done 3 rally and looking here and there how different crews organize there work space.
One thing I noticed at Black river that everybody uses looks like thick aluminum plates to roll a jack under the car.
We went to Charlevoix and I saw they used something like MDF but not sure. I didn't dare to ask because they all were busy and speaking French. But it can't be MDF because it would get wet and get soft.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
alosix
Jason Powers
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
02 WRX, still to quiet, but it finished a rally

Re: What to use under the jack?
November 01, 2013 04:55PM
For the last few service I've been using pieces of stair tread. Worked decent for the jack and the stands.

Caveat : everything was dry.

This isn't floor mat anarchy
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 01, 2013 05:02PM
lelikmed
Hey guys, I m new , so just trying to organize service area in a simple and most effective way possible.
I have done 3 rally and looking here and there how different crews organize there work space.
One thing I noticed at Black river that everybody uses looks like thick aluminum plates to roll a jack under the car.
We went to Charlevoix and I saw they used something like MDF but not sure. I didn't dare to ask because they all were busy and speaking French. But it can't be MDF because it would get wet and get soft.

Maybe skatelite.

Grant Hughes
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

November 01, 2013 05:36PM
I just use plywood. It's cheap and light and lasts a long time.
TronDD
Tim Meunier
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Subaru Impreza

November 01, 2013 07:33PM
Plywood here, too. Make it thick enough. I've seem some bend enough into soft ground that the jack couldn't roll anymore.

I've seen someone use an old book shelf which was particle board, I think. Solid but was too heavy to move from the front of the car to back. But then his jack weighed 80 pounds so I guess it wasn't too bad, relatively speaking.

Tim.
lelikmed
Alex Kuklov
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 RS

November 01, 2013 07:52PM
TronDD
Plywood here, too. Make it thick enough. I've seem some bend enough into soft ground that the jack couldn't roll anymore.

I've seen someone use an old book shelf which was particle board, I think. Solid but was too heavy to move from the front of the car to back. But then his jack weighed 80 pounds so I guess it wasn't too bad, relatively speaking.

Tim.
The whole idea to place something hard under the jack is to make it roll few inches as you jack u the car. I try plywood, see if the wheels crush the hole in it.
heymagic
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

November 01, 2013 08:17PM
Plywood, cut a hand hold in one side or screw a handle on it. A piece of plywood about 3 or 4 ft long and 18" wide is very nice for sliding under the car to work on also.
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

November 02, 2013 01:20AM
heymagic
Plywood, cut a hand hold in one side or screw a handle on it. A piece of plywood about 3 or 4 ft long and 18" wide is very nice for sliding under the car to work on also.

Plus it gives you something to shoot holes through with the potato gun while you're waiting around in service.
czwalga
steve czwalga
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

November 02, 2013 09:08AM
I used to use plywood until I believe i serviced next to Simon/Kieran.

They had an old road sign, then chopped a bit off to use for under the jack stands. It's perfect; no rust/rot, and really thin. Much better than using the plywood.

Can usually find them on craiglist; if not i'm sure ebay; or every street you've ever driven down. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2013 09:09AM by czwalga.
lelikmed
Alex Kuklov
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 RS

November 02, 2013 10:11AM
czwalga

They had an old road sign, then chopped a bit off to use for under the jack stands. It's perfect; no rust/rot, and really thin. Much better than using the plywood.

Can usually find them on craiglist; if not i'm sure ebay; or every street you've ever driven down. winking smiley

How is your Celica, Steve?

Road sign is good idea.... I got a stop sign just down the road... what time does the sun go down today ...?
simoniac
Simon Wright
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Focus

November 02, 2013 12:26PM
In our defense we rescued it, damaged, from the roadside after hurricane Fran came through. We also chopped some of it into four 12" square plates to use under the jack stands and, now, pin stands.

Simon Wright
Owner/Driver USUK Racing - Home of the USUK Racing LED Light Bars!

North America Rally Map
bknblk2
Tony Wood
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Citation "Oskar"

November 04, 2013 07:45AM
lelikmed
czwalga

Road sign is good idea.... I got a stop sign just down the road... what time does the sun go down today ...?

Pilfering Stop signs are bad Karma, go for something like a speedlimit or something else that won't get someone killed. Like my grandma.
heymagic
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

November 04, 2013 09:21AM
We bought a bunch of road signs from 2nd hand stores. There must be a path for old used signs, contact your local city, county or state hiway dept to see what they do with them.
alkun
Albert Kun
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

November 05, 2013 12:49AM
bknblk2
lelikmed
czwalga

Pilfering Stop signs are bad Karma, go for something like a speedlimit or something else that won't get someone killed. Like my grandma.

I knew some hippies who named their band "Deaf Children" after a road sign near their house. They took the sign, and guess who got run over in the crosswalk?
ryolse
Ryan Sealey
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
'97 Subaru Impreza

November 05, 2013 08:38AM
I've been wanting to do a sheet of Aluminum under my tarp, so it doesn't rip the tarp. I've been seeing too many people at RX events busting through wood in areas with softer ground.

R.Sealey
http://www.facebook.com/SealeySport
http://www.youtube.com/ryolse
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login