tdrrally
post some pix!

http://doowoprally.com/history1998.htm

Jim Culp Piccie I think.

now that's a rally car !

its a shame they won't make them like that any more

what does that car weight 2200lbs ?
with about 150-200 hp and good looks too

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Yellowhammer
John Barnett
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
I really have one and use it.

Re: Battered RX-3: worth saving?
November 13, 2013 05:53PM
these are very cool cars.

Beware: Glass is damn near impossible to find, and rotary motors are drying up.
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

November 13, 2013 05:55PM
if i had the cash to rally an open class championship car, i would rally on old is kool mid 70s thru mid 85s rwd classic instead !

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
starion887
starion887
Junior Moderator

November 13, 2013 08:54PM
If you ever got this car restored and running, and ran it and got used to the RWD confige and driving, you would tell yourself "Why did I not do this sooner?" Guranteed.....It will challenge you to drive it well but if you ever get anywhere near the full ability, it'll be wild.

I can't make a good judgement on the cost and headache factor though. Seems like Chuck McCreary and Bruce Newey in GA ran Mazda rotaries in the 80's in various forms and I recall that they spent a lot of repeated re-works on the engines and they were not cheap due to that. They were HOT when they ran well, but keeping the seals working was some degree of hassle lying between unpredictable and hell. As I recall, it had a lot to do with the bridge-porting.

I would suggest your talk to Chuck McCreary on that topic; he is super knowledgeable, and as friendly as they come; he can be reached at his shop in the Marietta GA area: Baron Garage. Tell him Mark Bowers sent you his way, and tell him I said 'hi'. You'll get al the info you need and probalby some great rally stories too.
HiTempguy
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

November 14, 2013 01:38PM
starion887
I can't make a good judgement on the cost and headache factor though. Seems like Chuck McCreary and Bruce Newey in GA ran Mazda rotaries in the 80's in various forms and I recall that they spent a lot of repeated re-works on the engines and they were not cheap due to that. They were HOT when they ran well, but keeping the seals working was some degree of hassle lying between unpredictable and hell. As I recall, it had a lot to do with the bridge-porting.

This is one of those things that seperates people between those who know how to build motors, and those that THINK they do.

We have a guy who is a rotary legend out here, his car has done multiple 24 hour chumpcar endurance races with nothing more than maintenance (after he did a full rebuild on the motor, plus a little bit of fun work inside). I think that rotary's suffer from the same sort of shit-slinging that Talon's/4g63's do in the rally world. If built properly, they can be a great vehicle.

As for if the RX3 in question is worth saving... are you willing to do the work? And do you care more about being competitive or having fun? Being competitive in NA is still more about how long you keep your foot down... and it sounds like you are competent... so really it comes down to if you are willing to put in the time or not. I don't know you, so I can't say. I know I couldn't!
czwalga
steve czwalga
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

November 14, 2013 02:02PM
HiTempguy
starion887

This is one of those things that seperates people between those who know how to build motors, and those that THINK they do.

We have a guy who is a rotary legend out here, his car has done multiple 24 hour chumpcar endurance races with nothing more than maintenance (after he did a full rebuild on the motor, plus a little bit of fun work inside). I think that rotary's suffer from the same sort of shit-slinging that Talon's/4g63's do in the rally world. If built properly, they can be a great vehicle.

As for if the RX3 in question is worth saving... are you willing to do the work? And do you care more about being competitive or having fun? Being competitive in NA is still more about how long you keep your foot down... and it sounds like you are competent... so really it comes down to if you are willing to put in the time or not. I don't know you, so I can't say. I know I couldn't!

Was that legendary engine turbo'd. The shit slinging is there for a reason and deserves every bit of it if the engine is turbo'd. The NA ones kinda get a bad wrap because of it.
heymagic
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

November 14, 2013 07:39PM
I put the automatic in that car for Greg Lund when he sold it. Small world. As to rotary reliability, we ran a bunch of them out here back in the day. Dave or JV will remember better on the northern guys, Roberts, Christiansen, Wright but down south Whiting and myself and a few others also ran the snot out of them. I had a Pport , supposedly 300ish hp and no issues once I got enough radiator under the hood. Turned it 9500 all the time. There were a few bridgeports and a bunch of streetports and overall no more issues than any other brand. Nowadays they are more of a curiosity. The shells are thinner than Obamas excuses, rust was quite prevalent. Suspension is non-existant but JV could build better stuff anyway.

Go for it. If nothing else you can dust it off in 5 years a sell it to some shiney eyed kid who read about them on Wikipedia...
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

November 15, 2013 07:00PM
good news! you do live near me. and I am like the Barry White of rotaries. Which we will just take to mean I am good with them.

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
starion887
starion887
Junior Moderator

November 15, 2013 09:47PM
HiTempguy
starion887

I don't really know the specific reasons, I just remember the issues. Chuck knows what he is doing; that is why I suggested that Hoche speak with him.....or perhaps Hoche should speak with this rotary legend guy. Some calls on the topci would be a good idea for anyone thinking of the rotaries.
HiTempguy
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

November 18, 2013 11:22AM
starion887
Chuck knows what he is doing; that is why I suggested that Hoche speak with him.....or perhaps Hoche should speak with this rotary legend guy. Some calls on the topci would be a good idea for anyone thinking of the rotaries.

Fairs enough. I can definitely forward the guys info if somebody was inclined to want it. He also doesn't gouge people either, pricing seems pretty decent to me.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

November 18, 2013 01:03PM
if you port it wrong (with a bridge) the seal can either fall into the port or the bridge breaks if your too aggressive with the opening

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

November 18, 2013 03:30PM
Doo Eeet!

Love these cars!

I could watch vids like these all day!

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

November 18, 2013 04:13PM
Sorry about the non rally vids-just showing a little rotary love.

Looks like these little cars can be quite a handful!

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
alkun
Albert Kun
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

November 18, 2013 08:15PM
No need to be sorry. Cars that pull wheelies rule!
starion887
starion887
Junior Moderator

November 18, 2013 09:05PM
How about cars that pull wheelies and then crash out? LOL And I geuss that since the poll is so heavily 'YES' then Hoche is obligated to get this thng. I'll send your a free pound of bacon, Hoche.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2013 09:07PM by starion887.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login