Posted by 79corolla 
79corolla
Boone Dalton
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
79 corolla

welders
November 12, 2013 04:12PM
need some opinions on welders that will do the job, will the 669.00 240 volt Lincoln do the job..I can run a pretty decent weld , I'm not the greatest but my shit holds, don't think I wanna weld a rally car with 120...
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: welders
November 12, 2013 04:27PM
Millermatic 180.
There's a Chump team in town that might be able to help you out for cheap. Don't know guys real nameeeeeeee though.

Grant Hughes
MattWatson
Matt Watson
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Merkur

November 12, 2013 05:06PM
I love my Miller 211. Being a non-welder, I think autoset is the best thing since sliced bread. Set the temp and then you can forget about the wire speed, it does it for you smiling smiley

Its a bit above the 700$ price range though.
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Junior Moderator

November 12, 2013 05:13PM
I have been using a Hobart 210 MVP. My dad picked it up with his senior discount at the local farmer supply store for $750. I'm glad he's finally cashing in on all the discounts he's eligible for, now if only we can get him his free coffee at McD's smiling smiley

The Hobart is great, we do a lot of fab work with it. While the duty cycle isn't what our last welder was, we have yet to have an issue. Runs on 110/220 and has the oomph to weld 3/8 in a single pass apparently. Works WAY better down low (1/8 or lower) than our last Lincoln.

Hobart 210 MVP

Here's a good deal on refurbished welders: http://www.hobartweldshop.com/servlet/the-Refurbished-Hobart-Welders/Categories

Just make sure you get the polarity right, ours was set up for flux-core, and welded like poop until we got it switched around.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2013 05:22PM by Robert Culbertson.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 12, 2013 05:43PM
If you can find anything left with a T in the part number that means it has TAPS and serious guys say they work fine and last 1000 times longer than the little ones with circuit boards and infinite adjust-ability.

The ones in the $500 range often have these circuit boards which fry and cost around $350 FOR THE BOARD PLUS AN HOUR LABOR TO CHANGE...

One thing to remember is changing the wire to bigger means it carries more juice so thick work means use thicker wire.. I use 030/.032 for stitch welding and you can use it on cage too...many come delivered with 024 wire which might be nice for 16g but in order to deposit any material you have top dwelll so long the tips want to overheat...

Also check the wires size leading to the outlet...It may be a 240 outlet but it would be nice if there was stout wire from fuse panel..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
MRWmotorsports
Martin Walter
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Nissan 240SX

November 12, 2013 06:11PM
Forget TAPS if you aren't a good welder already, otherwise you'll be forever filling in holes. Infinite adjustability is exactly what you need.

I second the Millermatic 180 (220volt), I've had mine for almost 10 years, not a single problem (but it wasn't a $500 welder). Also used a Lincoln 175 a lot at my friends and that's seems pretty capable too. I found with the Miller 210 that I had for a weekend on demo that the torch was too big and heavy for getting into tight spots...

-Martin.
79corolla
Boone Dalton
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
79 corolla

November 12, 2013 06:16PM
I see what john is saying about the circuit boards burning out ,HF welder I got for free burned out on me , garbage man took it.. millermatic sounds like that will be my choice , or a Hobart, they have some good deals and a decent welder,
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 12, 2013 06:26PM
MRWmotorsports
Forget TAPS if you aren't a good welder already, otherwise you'll be forever filling in holes. Infinite adjustability is exactly what you need.

I second the Millermatic 180 (220volt), I've had mine for almost 10 years, not a single problem (but it wasn't a $500 welder). Also used a Lincoln 175 a lot at my friends and that's seems pretty capable too. I found with the Miller 210 that I had for a weekend on demo that the torch was too big and heavy for getting into tight spots...

-Martin.

Last time I took my 27 year old Miller 250 in for some luving the crusty old guys showed me shelving full of unclaimed machines, ,rows of them, at least 30--"Every one of them burned out the circuit board...for $100 more people just buy new machines"

So you tell him...seeing those racks full of abandoned machines convinced me.

Just like shocks: infinite adjustability often means people screw around and get lost.

As for fat tips, they sell slimmer so I got one for getting in tight V angles

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
czwalga
steve czwalga
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

November 12, 2013 06:50PM
I have a 110v lincoln and a 220v clarke 180en.

I've had the clarke for about 4 years; and for the price i think its good. 6 heat settings, variable wire speed. Wire speed is very finicky, unless i'm changing a spool to feed it through it seems like no matter what heat setting correct wire speed is between 4.5-6 on a 0-10 scale. High heat its like a 6, etc. Meanwhile the same lincoln with seemingly the same type of knob, varies almost over the whole range.

I guess this could be considered a negative, but for what I paid for it. $300? maybe brand new can't beat it so far. I'm sure you know this but weld with gas. I have flux core crap in the 110 but thats only because i take it to rallys. It's certainly not as good as a miller, but in my opinion its good enough.

If you have a good 110 welder I think you can weld .095 with full penetration. .120 is where it starts to get questionable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2013 06:56PM by czwalga.
79corolla
Boone Dalton
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
79 corolla

November 12, 2013 06:57PM
Yea , flux core is OK in a pinch, but other than that the splatters are relentless..I don't have 220 ran to the house yet so I'll make sure its done right! It would be nice if a good 110 would work but I don't think that's happening..
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 12, 2013 07:43PM
79corolla
Yea , flux core is OK in a pinch, but other than that the splatters are relentless..I don't have 220 ran to the house yet so I'll make sure its done right! It would be nice if a good 110 would work but I don't think that's happening..

It CAN but again wires in the wall and wire size in the extension cord and wire in the gun. I used a 120v Hobart Handler for 10 years before some Massholes broke in and stole it...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2013 09:44AM by john vanlandingham.
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

November 13, 2013 07:51AM
Hobart Handler 140. Been going strong since 2006 (or 2007 I forget). Great little welder
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login