Posted by b00sted 
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 acura integra, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Re: Good studless ice tire?
November 30, 2013 01:23PM
i had high end toyos on my cherokee. go2plus if i remember correctly but tire manufacturers change models and compounds like car manufacturers do now adays. best ice tire ive driven besides blizzacks. only prob with performance ice tires is theyre soft as chewing gum and wear super fast on dry surface or surfaces over 7 degrees celcius. personally i drive a midrange everyday (bridgestone ice slalom) but the side walls on these and gummy soft performance ice tires have super soft side walls and you experience it in the handling when the car hooks or hits ruts. if you are on straight ice these are great. on my rally cross car i run directional studded highway compound champipro gt winter compound cause the harder casing makes for strong sidewalls for side ways, ruts ect keeps beads on real nice like. i use those fir clay and gravel as well. great for snow ruts ect but icy cornering is alotta slow in fast out or perfect sideways action with not alotta oops room.
there
back on topic kinda
i like skinnier as well to maximize ruts and diggyness

All bridges burnt, island life is beauty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2013 01:25PM by Snidewhips.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
b00sted
David Barrett
Infallible Moderator

November 30, 2013 08:07PM
I'm going the studded route...Nut/Washers/Bolt through tire. I was watching videos, and the cars with studded tires just look much more fun...The non-studded guys look like they're trying to navigate an icy parking lot without hitting anything.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 30, 2013 08:45PM
b00sted
I'm going the studded route...Nut/Washers/Bolt through tire. I was watching videos, and the cars with studded tires just look much more fun...The non-studded guys look like they're trying to navigate an icy parking lot without hitting anything.

They take a LOT of time....and I don't how much time you have...

They're insanely heavy once you have a bunch screws thru them and the ice race guys I knew down east in Maine said you have to have some liner or the heads chew the tubes,,,

all told might be smrater-er to get some trashed for top level rally stuff and fly them in:
http://www.blocket.se/klippan/Rally_is_dack_50378899.htm?ca=1_8&w=3

4st 15" Trelleborg på
5,5" Volvo fälgar. Pris 6000kr

4st 15" utan fälg. pris 2000kr<---------4 pcs without wheels 2000 SEK/around $320

#1 44

skip the first 0

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2013 11:09PM by john vanlandingham.
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

November 30, 2013 09:01PM
or
http://www.koldkutter.com/catalog/index.php
work wonders on a motorcycle on ice or rocks

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
Carl S
Carl Seidel
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 honderp

November 30, 2013 09:57PM
I've heard the weight of a car will rip those kold kutters right out of the tread block.
With liberal use of a sealant, like windshield urathane, you can get a decent enough seal on bolt tires that you don't need to run tubes and liners to protect the tubes. Do bring some spare air though, just in case. Although I have it on good authority that snowmobile studs are the way to go. They're pricey new, but used ones are easy enough to find and they allow an 8v mk3 golf with an open diff to beat evos and stis on bolt tires.
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 acura integra, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

November 30, 2013 11:47PM
eight hours a tire to do it proper, use doughnut spares, bolt head, washer on tire inside, washer nut on outside, tach weld bolt to nut after tight, sharpen bolt, windshield urethane interior of tire and beads, mount and inflate to max psi.

All bridges burnt, island life is beauty
b00sted
David Barrett
Infallible Moderator

December 01, 2013 02:59AM
Snidewhips
eight hours a tire to do it proper, use doughnut spares, bolt head, washer on tire inside, washer nut on outside, tach weld bolt to nut after tight, sharpen bolt, windshield urethane interior of tire and beads, mount and inflate to max psi.

That is my plan aside from the windshield urethane...I haven't heard of that before. My plan was to use 3M High-Tack on the bolt threads that end up threaded in to the rubber, the underside of the interior washer, and the underside of the interior bolt-head. I did that on dirtbike tires once and they held air quite well all things considered.

JVL, those tires you posted might be a nice alternative. The first race is in January, and there's only 5 ice races total I believe... Their rules mention no screw-in/press in studs, but I'm guessing that's in reference to studdable street tires with studs added after the fact...If these are manufactured with the studs in them, they may not bitch about it. I'd have to ask.

Also, keep in mind that this is for a AutoX on ice basically. The runs last about 60ish seconds and then I can go back and add air to the tires if need be...So even if they slowly lose air over the course of 24 hours or so, it won't be much of an issue to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2013 03:01AM by b00sted.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

December 01, 2013 11:03AM
Got hakka 5s on my car. Still awesome tires, pricey though.

Grant Hughes
kwesley
Kevin Wesley
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1976 Dodge Dart Lite

December 11, 2013 06:08AM
Carl S
I've heard the weight of a car will rip those kold kutters right out of the tread block.
With liberal use of a sealant, like windshield urathane, you can get a decent enough seal on bolt tires that you don't need to run tubes and liners to protect the tubes. Do bring some spare air though, just in case. Although I have it on good authority that snowmobile studs are the way to go. They're pricey new, but used ones are easy enough to find and they allow an 8v mk3 golf with an open diff to beat evos and stis on bolt tires.

What kind of pattern are they using with the snowmobile studs? I have a box of them, but everytime I calculate it seeems like I have about half of what I need. Not sure what is too many, or overkill. They are pricey.

Thanks,

Kevin Wesley
Carl S
Carl Seidel
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 honderp

December 11, 2013 07:26AM
kwesley
Carl S

What kind of pattern are they using with the snowmobile studs? I have a box of them, but everytime I calculate it seeems like I have about half of what I need. Not sure what is too many, or overkill. They are pricey.

Hi Kevin! Good to see you back around rally stuff. I haven't seen the tires in question so I don't know what sort of pattern they're using. I know where they run has a 160 stud/tire minimum rule, so at least that many I guess. I'm hoping to make it to an event or two this winter so I can see for myself.
Brian Johnson
Brian Johnson
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Co-Driver - Old School Motorsports WRX

December 11, 2013 08:22AM
Chris Martin and I ran tractionized Hakkapeliitta R2s at Tall Pines a couple of weekends ago. They seemed to work pretty well. grinning smiley

-Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 08:22AM by Brian Johnson.
MattP
Matt Pullen
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Ford StRanger

December 11, 2013 08:37AM

Yes, it's a Ranger.
Xr4Ti, it is rwd and was made in Germany.
DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

December 11, 2013 08:38AM
I used to have a set of Menard's on my ice racer ('83 GTI) and they were the shit. It's like driving on gravel without those pesky trees. Menard's aren't around any more but it looks like Pryme has replaced them, with the same mold. Pryme Tire

You can buy studdable tires from tire rack and they'll install the studs for $15 a tire, something to consider before spending 30+ hours installing them yourself. I've had good luck with winterforce's but never tried them studded. I would think that's a good inexpensive alternative.

Some other info on real ice racing can be found here: Ice Race MN IIRA

I've tried kold kutters (without nuts) on car tires before and almost all of them came out after a few miles of hard driving.

Dave Grenwis - DG Rally - www.dgrally.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login