Posted by Mad Matt F 
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

2.3L duratec to NC miata transmission?
January 21, 2014 11:35AM
Okay, so um, this car might run some TSD's so its rally chat right? I thought I would ask my questions here, rather then the B site where the typical answer is 4L buick motor or stock...

I have a pretty much stock '69 MGB GT with the 4spd transmission. Fun car, slow, noisy and rolls at 3800 rpm down the highway.

I could get an overdrive transmission ($600) and it would be happier in modern traffic, but it would still be slow.

I could build up the 1.8L all iron tractor motor, but it would still be slow, and that would cost more then I spend on rally in a whole year...

Ranger duratecs are getting cheap, sump is right, I can bolt on some carbs and keep my current low pressure fuel system, just need to light up ignition, but I think that shouldn't be an issue. Problem is transmission. Shifter would be under the dash if I use the ranger transmission. I could make up a remote to move it further back, but it looks like I would have to lift the tunnel a fair bit. I'm not opposed to that, but would avoid it if I could.

It "seems" like the NC miata transmissions will bolt up with a tailshaft shifter! But scouring the interweeb, I can't seem to confirm this.

Anybody know?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
EvanB
Evan Arthur
Professional Moderator

Re: 2.3L duratec to NC miata transmission?
January 21, 2014 01:34PM
According to this discussion you shouldn't have a problem:

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14753
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

January 21, 2014 01:41PM
yep, just found that one...

Althought it seems I may be then again looking for high priced transmissions...

Local yard price is $1000 to $1650 for the Miata Transmission...

If so, this discussion will go nowhere fast! I'm sure the NC miata's are still pricy whole too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2014 01:42PM by Mad Matt F.
EvanB
Evan Arthur
Professional Moderator

January 21, 2014 01:46PM
I'm sure you've seen the MGB Zetec swap. Looks like a little more work but may be cheaper in parts.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

January 21, 2014 01:56PM
EvanB
I'm sure you've seen the MGB Zetec swap. Looks like a little more work but may be cheaper in parts.

Yep...

Interesting project, and a ton of work to do well I think.

I'm going to measure up the tunnel some more and think about a remote shifter. Whole ranger motor/transmission seems easier then sourcing seperate parts.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 21, 2014 04:16PM
Mad Matt F
yep, just found that one...

Althought it seems I may be then again looking for high priced transmissions...

Local yard price is $1000 to $1650 for the Miata Transmission...

If so, this discussion will go nowhere fast! I'm sure the NC miata's are still pricy whole too.

FAWK!
I can draw you up plans to do a remote on a T5---or anything that has a bolt on stick on top.. Simple stuff like you and i like..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

January 21, 2014 04:19PM
john vanlandingham

FAWK!
I can draw you up plans to do a remote on a T5---or anything that has a bolt on stick on top.. Simple stuff like you and i like..

Exactement!

Now John, can you build suspension for a B???? (Joking, joking, don't even think I'm serious...)
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 21, 2014 09:56PM
Mad Matt F
john vanlandingham

FAWK!

Exactemente!

Now John, can you build suspension for a B???? (Joking, joking, don't even think I'm serious...)

Silent e en Francasie, mon sewer.. I think that's where we got silent e at end of words in Angleski

Yeah I had a guy want to do the T5 thang in a Volvo 740 K-car limo and you have to have extentions so I was downstairs having a ciggie and saw a shock eye wif a 15mm ID bearing, a couple of my Sooooper bitchin stainless shock spacers-BOF! (francaise for Pooof!) there your shifter end. Then a plate to bolt on top of the gearstick cover---low skill just has to be a hole and 3-4 bolt hole--we can manage that---and extend to the hole in da tunnel. The weld on top of da plate2 D shaped ears wif a 12mm hole--send a 12mm bolt thru the ears and the inverted shock eye. Then some ol iron bar threaded m12 x 1 to screw in to the eyelet.
The spherical bearing will move for gating 1-2 and 3-4 and the just a straight rod from stick to the stud stickin outta the box..both are above pivot so motion isn't reversed.
Tres simple, manure!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
fidel
lawrence knox
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
78" volvo 242

January 22, 2014 01:19PM
john vanlandingham
Mad Matt F
john vanlandingham

FAWK!

Exactemente!

Silent e en Francasie, mon sewer.. I think that's where we got silent e at end of words in Angleski

Yeah I had a guy want to do the T5 thang in a Volvo 740 K-car limo and you have to have extentions so I was downstairs having a ciggie and saw a shock eye wif a 15mm ID bearing, a couple of my Sooooper bitchin stainless shock spacers-BOF! (francaise for Pooof!) there your shifter end. Then a plate to bolt on top of the gearstick cover---low skill just has to be a hole and 3-4 bolt hole--we can manage that---and extend to the hole in da tunnel. The weld on top of da plate2 D shaped ears wif a 12mm hole--send a 12mm bolt thru the ears and the inverted shock eye. Then some ol iron bar threaded m12 x 1 to screw in to the eyelet.
The spherical bearing will move for gating 1-2 and 3-4 and the just a straight rod from stick to the stud stickin outta the box..both are above pivot so motion isn't reversed.
Tres simple, manure!

how much farther back does the shifter need to be ,the commodore and holden shifter locations are farther back that the standard merican gm and ford t5s.

lawrence knox aka fidel
knox motorspors
knoxmotorsports.us
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 22, 2014 02:27PM
fidel
john vanlandingham
Mad Matt F
john vanlandingham

FAWK!

Exactemente!

Tres simple, manure!

how much farther back does the shifter need to be ,the commodore and holden shifter locations are farther back that the standard merican gm and ford t5s.

The Aussie tailshaft housings are right about the same as US GM, so good for Xratty and 240

That extension thing idea was so a guy could get the stick in the middle of the hole for 7 series. Matt seem to indicate that "the stick would be under the dash" so prolly a real extention is needed..
Now in yet one more ironic things I have discovered--ironic cuase I ain't a Volvo ---especially the 7 series (erp---I think I just threw up a little) it just soooooooooooooo happens there is an actual OEM fitted T5 extension dealie
available right here in 'merica... Once again The Outside figures out a stupidly simple solution that the alleged heros and ex-spurts working full time on Volvos can't figure out---and like the saab PP interchange and 215/228 upgrade thing, it is precicely BECAUSE I am not a Volvo-fixated perv that I fingered this out..

Come here, closer...youse want me to tells ya what the "I think this will be possibly Soooooper Bitchin" extension comes off of? OK I will---if you tell me bellhousing front face to stick length...

Then we know if the OEM thing will be cool---and we can go taunt the ex-spurts---and even ask "Hoe is it decades after people start using T6s nobody had a solution......except an outsider?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login