John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Merkur pricing
March 21, 2014 06:18PM
RALLYRS
Thomas Kimsey

.......... Who knows maybe the cooling system is plumbed all goofy, I wouldn't notice it.

Ha...the problem...with an XR the cooling system was plumbed all goofy from the factory!

But a slime mold or somebody with a slime mold for brains, ya know like a Teahaddist or a Lib-a -farian could replumb it like on any other Sierra (hose in to heater core, hose out) pretty damn easy...

Obammer's in my tool tray stealin mah wrenches!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

March 21, 2014 06:28PM
Graminal95

, driving a falling apart saab 96 5800miles across the country for JV,

Yeah, you were nuts. I thought you were going to TOW that 96 to Washington behind the 240D, not take it on some roundabout adventure.

John, is that car still alive? It was a blast to drive.

OTOH, if you know the car you're driving and are resourceful, there isn't much you can't rig together to keep moving given an OtterZone, MalWart, and/or a Home Despot nearby.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 21, 2014 06:43PM
I flew to Portland and drove a $750 XR4ti back, sight unseen. It was already T5 swapped. Rode the train to meet the guy, bought car, went out with friends that night, ate some Indian food for breakfast, drove back to Denver with no heat, speedo, or tach. Only two or three roadside repairs, longest one being in Pendleton, OR thankfully at a WalMart. Rained the entire damn way. Popped a coolant hose after a 100+ morning run from Utah to Laramie, WY trying to make up some time. Almost got struck by lightning after accidently jumping the car on a back road in CO into a huge puddle bending the makeshift cat heat shield. Fun stuff, I'd never do it again.

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 21, 2014 06:49PM
fiasco
Graminal95

, driving a falling apart saab 96 5800miles across the country for JV,

John, is that car still alive? It was a blast to drive.

This answer your question?

Sniff, snivel,,, (honk!)

Robert "Roadracemech" Gobright got it...We pulled the engine 4 days after I was out of hospital after back surgery still dragging blood soaked bandages behind me..
Then we done sawed-ed 'er up..

he put the good bits like the suspension and engine and stuff in the thing in the garage I found him for $300....Had a cage put in and spent a lot of money on some stuff then advertised it for sale.. No idea what happened..eye rolling smiley

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

March 21, 2014 06:57PM
NoCoast
I flew to Portland and drove a $750 XR4ti back, sight unseen. It was already T5 swapped. Rode the train to meet the guy, bought car, went out with friends that night, ate some Indian food for breakfast, drove back to Denver with no heat, speedo, or tach....

JEEZUS! That's living life on the edge. Curry before a roadtrip? That takes some -guts-.

Jason McDaniel
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 21, 2014 07:04PM
modernbeat
NoCoast
I flew to Portland and drove a $750 XR4ti back, sight unseen. It was already T5 swapped. Rode the train to meet the guy, bought car, went out with friends that night, ate some Indian food for breakfast, drove back to Denver with no heat, speedo, or tach....

JEEZUS! That's living life on the edge. Curry before a roadtrip? That takes some -guts-.

Gas shocks!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

March 21, 2014 07:24PM
Ouch. Sorry. BTDT with more than one Merkur.

I'll tip one back in honor of the Green 96.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

March 22, 2014 03:32PM
modernbeat
NoCoast

I think a road trip in a merkur takes even more guts than curry.
alkun
Albert Kun
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

March 22, 2014 05:34PM
When I brought home the most recent 240, I had to wait for a big police raid to mop up on the block where it was parked Later it caught fire a little bit, so I got a buddy to come out and flat tow me the last 20 miles on the freeway in friday afternoon traffic.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 22, 2014 06:41PM
modernbeat
NoCoast

I had to counteract the ~30 PBRs I think I drank the night before. Hot tubs and bonfires in a friends backyard til 5 am!

Grant Hughes
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

March 22, 2014 09:51PM
Cosworth
modernbeat
NoCoast

Eh. I bought one new. And a couple more used. Curry frightens me more.

Jason McDaniel
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 22, 2014 10:04PM
One time in Bhawanipatna, India the waiter came over and said, sir, sir, that pepper is not supposed to be eaten. That was like the fourth or fifth one I had eaten by then in search of hottest one. Almost a month there and no curry fury for me. 21 years of bland and boring Wyoming food.

Grant Hughes
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

March 23, 2014 02:23AM
modernbeat
Cosworth
modernbeat
NoCoast

Eh. I bought one new. And a couple more used. Curry frightens me more.

I bought a used audi coupe outta Keene New Hampshire (living in spokane) instead of driving it straight back like I originally intended took 2 months to hit florida, texas, arizona, california, colorado, idaho and montanna in that order. Sight unseen and pedal down. 120mph ticket on the turnpike in florida, and skydiving certs outta texas to prove it.

Hell, helped a buddy with the last name of curry buy a vw out of portland this weekend just because we felt like pushing our luck! winking smiley I will say this, there were bathroom repairs made after he dropped me off at my house and headed to Boise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2014 02:27AM by aj_johnson.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

March 23, 2014 09:12AM
aj_johnson
I bought a used audi coupe outta Keene New Hampshire (living in spokane) instead of driving it straight back like I originally intended took 2 months to hit florida, texas, arizona, california, colorado, idaho and montanna in that order. Sight unseen and pedal down. 120mph ticket on the turnpike in florida, and skydiving certs outta texas to prove it.

Why would you want to go there (grew up one town south of Keene)? Actually, you can do a lot worse than Keene. Who did you get the car from?

--Andrew

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

March 23, 2014 09:18AM
fiasco

Why would you want to go there (grew up one town south of Keene)? Actually, you can do a lot worse than Keene. Who did you get the car from?

--Andrew

Can't remember his name for the life of me. Nice guy, loved miatas, this was prolly just shy of 10 years ago.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login