Posted by Abnormalradio13 
Abnormalradio13
Anthony cuthbert
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
03 svt focus

Re: New svt focus rally builder
March 18, 2014 06:34PM
Awesome Conner. I'm heading out to the first scca rallycross of the year this Saturday at Calhoun fairgrounds. Just volunteering since my car will be getting worked on, this way I can get some pointers and advice on what to do and such

One of the very few black guys trying to racing all over the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 18, 2014 09:40PM
Abnormalradio13
Awesome Conner. I'm heading out to the first scca rallycross of the year this Saturday at Calhoun fairgrounds. Just volunteering since my car will be getting worked on, this way I can get some pointers and advice on what to do and such

There's a phase in Medicine that goes like this:
Primum non nocere
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Primum non nocere is a Latin phrase that means "first, do no harm." The phrase is sometimes recorded as primum nil nocere.

The equivalent phrase for all motorsports and for life in general should be
"First, do no stupid"

Watch and observe the multitude of ways people can screw up a simple low speed turn...

The most common low speed screw up is almost always TRYING TOO HARD, though some don't seem to try at all...

Hey Anthony, and Conner, you guys need to go back and fill out the name thing fully.. We try and all have a full name cause then for example when you are getting all famous and we're looking at results, they---like most people use the LAST NAME....the combo of a first and a last makes you more an individual (I was in a race once in Sweden where in the top 12 out of 30 there were 5 Johanssons and 3 or 4 Anderssons---imagine the announcer trying to ad lib an exciting spiel about that race......)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

March 19, 2014 12:27PM
Abnormalradio13
lol awesome. i plan to keep the car stock for now and compete in the scca rallycross stock class

If you put the Eibach's on the car you won't be able to rally x in stock class and you'll actually be worse off performance-wise. It's a decent kit for street but not for rally or rally x. Like others said, return or sell that off. Use the cash towards something more useful like some Bilstein HD's or a JVAB setup or the dozens of other things that you'll need before you can run a stage. Stay positive because you've got a lot of work to do!

I just looked up the entry list for 2005 LSPR and I guess I raced with Block, Foust, and Pastrana. I suddenly feel much more awesome. lolz

Dave Grenwis - DG Rally - www.dgrally.com
Abnormalradio13
Anthony cuthbert
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
03 svt focus

March 19, 2014 12:40PM
Well what should I get? The car needs suspension badly!! And I don't have the cash for the fully rally suspension yet. Should I just get the stock suspension for now then or what?

One of the very few black guys trying to racing all over the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 19, 2014 01:55PM
Abnormalradio13
Well what should I get? The car needs suspension badly!! And I don't have the cash for the fully rally suspension yet. Should I just get the stock suspension for now then or what?

Anthony---you go by Anthony?--or Tony? I have big problems wif sayin 'th"...---for grass-o-cross anything will do... what's on the car will do.....for rally you have to have something good and strong..
And its a tad over $2100 for a Focus now---partly because you MUST have better front top mounts than the plastic washer with a buncha BBs that is the current upper bearing.
Or MORE... And you don't want some Luke-warm Bitch or Hot-bitch,

Again for grass-o-cross anything will do...It is slow and mostly guys blow things trying to hard and understeering and boiling the tires but not going clean..

For rally:
1) suspension
2) better axle ratio
3) brakes
4) reinforcing all the junk in the back of the car, all the links and arms.

But really all that is no1, no. 1.25, no.1.3, no. 1.6

Good short axle ratio/final drive means you don't need to worry much about the motor for a while..

And if that still has the 6 speed box you can't get alternate final drive so that means getting a MTX75.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Abnormalradio13
Anthony cuthbert
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
03 svt focus

March 19, 2014 02:16PM
i'm gonna do rallycross for now and get the practice in. probably spend the year getting getting used to driving in dirt and such. I figure do that and spend the rest of the year honing my skills. trust me i know not to try too hard. i do autocross when i had my dart and i was surprising people left and right. car was basically stock with minor bolt ons and i was getting better after each event. my first event i beat two guys driving a srt4 and a 87 daytona getting second place in my class. i figure i may keep the eibach for now since i already got it and as the months go by, save up and get the better brakes, wheels, safety equipment, suspension, etc.... i also plan to autox my abarth in the stock class and use it in the nasa hpde events so i'[ll be busy this year. then when magnus comes around, i'[ll volunteer and get some insight and info.

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 19, 2014 04:25PM
Dood I get worried when I see people write "prolly spend a year hetting used to driving in the dirt"

Lookiwe we keep saying rally-cross is cheap fun---but because of the slow speeds, almost nothing is applicable or transferable.. You just can't learn braking from 85mph for a T junction when the rx course may not let you hit 30, see?

98% of what we do is 24-90mph again and again most is 40-75mph within that...

If you wanna learn to do THAT, then you have to do THAT, and if you want to learn to do it WELL, you have to be able to practice THAT a lot..literally thousands of hours..
For most people, I know it was for me, and I knew all kinds of National Championship winning capable, and World Championship winning capable guys when I was active in that other, much harder sport I did before taking up rally,

the human and budget limits on time means most people ---if they want to do well-- you concentrate on one sport.

So you don't "need" a year of playing around in grass-o-cross to "learn' anything for rally..
IF the goal ultimately is rally..

Gotta keep your eye on the prize.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Abnormalradio13
Anthony cuthbert
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
03 svt focus

March 19, 2014 11:43PM
True true. Thankfully there are school like team o'neil

BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

March 20, 2014 06:07AM
john vanlandingham
IF the goal ultimately is rally..

Gotta keep your eye on the prize.

This is something I personally struggle with.

I want to get on stage!
...And do rallycross
...And co-drive
...And other crap.

Got to focus on the focus I guess.

Enablers, All of you.
Abnormalradio13
Anthony cuthbert
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
03 svt focus

March 20, 2014 06:56AM
I am focused. My ultimate goal is stage rally but at the same time I wanna rallycross and such. I want to do a lot of racing from road racing to global rallycross to stage rally. I want to do it all really lol but for the focus, the ultimate goal is stage rally. I'll rent a car for rallycross(maybe if I'm lucky I can race in the spec rallycross class at the x-games lol)

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 20, 2014 10:10AM
Abnormalradio13
I am focused. My ultimate goal is stage rally but at the same time I wanna rallycross and such. I want to do a lot of racing from road racing to global rallycross to stage rally. I want to do it all really lol but for the Focus, the ultimate goal is stage rally. I'll rent a car for rallycross(maybe if I'm lucky I can race in the spec rallycross class at the x-games lol)

Don't fly off and get all butt-hurt but you don't seem to be particularly focused or you wouldn't be writing stuff like that.

If you were focused, you'd have seen it written a thousand times "don't worry about buying anything specific for grass-o-cross. ANYTHING WILL DO..."

Anything will do because it is mainly just like auto-cross: Masturbation..

Don''t get pissed ..Flogging the log is fun------but I don't want to invest a whole day sitting around and watching other guys do it.

So, if you were focused why do you say "maybe I'll rent something for rallycross?"

Your stock Fuckus Ess Vee Tea is FINE for grass-o-cross..EXCELLENT platform for GRASS-O-Cross.....

Got it?
Dayum, mang. Pay attention.tongue sticking out smiley

FURTHER if you were focused on going somewhere in the sport, then you would have picked up exactly why the Focus is NOT a particularly good car for RALLY...

And, more specifically why the Fuckus Ess Veee Tea is particularly a bad choice, not just not so good, but a BAD CHOICE for building...

Why isn't that evident?
Do you know exactly why ot is a bad choice as a stage car?

And on a separate note....rally like other hobbies is just a part of life...
Some sports you can pay for out of your own pocket......I did moto-cross from 15 to 30 and all but 2 years was self sponsored and those 2 years was livng on Start Money.

We have to be realistic here before getting tooo TOOOOO excited, so I have to ask,
how are you intending to pay for all the car stuff, and what are you doing for your future?
You a Trustafarian? IT programming hero? what?

It's very expensive to pay others to build a car, and more expensive to build a competitive car, and EVEN MORE expensive to build a competitive car when starting with one that is
SO UNSUITABLE....*.

This is pretty important to know, otherwise all the dreams and ideas and plans are just Pie in the Sky (Which IS a great song by the way...)

*I will not go into gruesome detail in type. It takes too much time to type.
I will be happy to talk to you on the phone...but you may not be happy afterwards..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Abnormalradio13
Anthony cuthbert
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
03 svt focus

March 20, 2014 11:48AM
I know I may seem all over the place and such but I know for sure I'm building the svt into a stage rally car. My brother actually bought the car for $750 with 234k miles on it. All it needed was a fuel pump and a battery but a month later the clutch went so it sat in the yard for months then I got it. Plus I've seen what people have done to the focus and I know it's a great project car whatever the case

Money isn't that big of an issue. I know I'm gonna be paying for a lot of the work myself whether I do it or have a shop do it. I stay at home so that helps out a lot with saving up.

I love all types of racing and I want to do as much as I can. From rally to autocross, road racing I wanna do it all and win. I want to be known all over the racing world.

I respect your opinion on why you think the focus isn't a good choice but this is something I'm focused on doing. I've seen plenty of focus cars rallying back a few years ago when they were still hot before the fiesta came about and I still see focuses rallying out there. I know what I have planned, I know I'm gonna be spending some $$$$ and I know that it isn't gonna be easy but I do know that in the end, I WILL have me a 300-400hp turbocharged focus(depending on the class). That's my goal and objective for stage rally. Road racing and autocross I'll save for another thread.

My mom always told me that strong criticism from others will help you along the way. So I appreciate what you wrote to me. smiling smiley No need of me getting mad when people speak to you making sure you're not just another person on their forum talking about how they want to do this but chicken out or quit or change their mind along the way. That's not me. I will build a stage rally focus, I will build a abarth track car, AND I WILL WIN MY COMPETITIONS!!!!!! Now it's time for lunch. Who's hungry grinning smiley

Morison
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

March 20, 2014 12:40PM
Two of the worst reasons to choose a car to build into a rally car are:

1) Because it's sitting in my yard
2) Because I can buy the shell cheap

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
Abnormalradio13
Anthony cuthbert
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
03 svt focus

March 20, 2014 12:44PM
it's not that i bought it cheap or because it sat in the yard. it was turned on everyday and such. and it was my brother's car at first but i understand what you mean. if i would've bought one, it would've been in good shape at least but i've seen worse cars in rally

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 20, 2014 01:56PM
Your mom is a smart person. When people just say shit like "That's sucks" then that's useless.
When they say "That sucks BECAUSE...._____________________ and ______________ and ____________________" and I tried it already and then we tried _____________ and it was still a POS" that is already suggesting a solution...

I'm in the middle of ordering suspension stuff for some Subies and Volvos so can't type a bunch now but
You should call and then ask "Just why is the Ess Veee tea such a good grass-o-crosser but so unsuitable a platform as a rally car?" And we can talk, not type.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login