Posted by bts spec 
bts spec
Steven Taylor
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
still looking

Rally car rental for regional event
March 17, 2014 02:12PM
If someone were looking to rent a rally car for a regional event where would I look? Ive been in the "I love rally and want to drive" boat for who knows how long, and before I go find a beginner rally car to purchase it would be nice to drive in a rally to experience the whole aspect of rally racing. Ive contacted All Wheels Driven in Oregon since Ive heard they offer rental packages, can anyone else suggest a place to look?

Thanks in advance

-Steven
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Rally car rental for regional event
March 17, 2014 02:19PM
But doing none event in a rented car is not "experiencing the whole aspect". It is just a morsel.

What's you whole name? Where do you live? How old are you?---all that has a bearing, and is why we have the rule that that info is required.

You could try co-driving... probably more eye opening.....

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
bts spec
Steven Taylor
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
still looking

March 17, 2014 02:36PM
I live in Seattle, Steven Taylor, age 31. Yeah I know driving a rental car in one event wouldn't get me to experience rally in all aspects, just need to start somewhere.

I came this to buying Adam Cranes corolla last year, test drove it, just felt overwhelmed with the whole aspect of rally events. Ive done TSD rallys with my wife as well as track days and I also race outdoor competition gokarts so familiar with racing and pressure behind the wheel.

I have thought of co-driving, been spectating NW rallies since 2008, just trying to find that door to open to get into the sport.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 17, 2014 03:09PM
you guys ever run the carts in the rain? Casue the big deal in gravel rally is the lack of grip..
Gravel rally is all about dancing around the limits of grip for braking and cornering, and it can be a damn hard thing to adjust to if you come from relatively high grip environment...
I know some classes have a spec tire that is pretty hard in carts.....

And I know you guys have to drive cleanly and hold lines accurately--so that's a good one to have in your mind already..but in the main gravel is a lot looser mentality than the precision of asphalt tracks..

Don't know what to suggest for rental since a0 its usually insanely expensive, and b) too often FWD which anybody with experience knows means usually very low spec cars, hardly worth the money just to drive a near stocker down the road...and a couple of thousand for a rental could go right to prep..or buying a car and some prep.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
bts spec
Steven Taylor
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
still looking

March 17, 2014 03:41PM
We do race in the rain with rain tires, but have been out there in slicks when it rains with 0% traction. Yeah coming from my driving background of traction based racing I could see a big learning curve when it comes to loose surfaces.

What is your opinion on dirtfish? I am reluctant to put down a large chunk of change for a 3 day course when that could go towards a beginner rally and obtain more knowledge on my own at rallycross events etc.
Morison
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

March 17, 2014 05:56PM
A car rental of a basic, but reliable car, for a regional event (which is a poor definition of an event, mostly because 90% of events are 75% populated by locals and really are regional events anyway...) should be (well) north of $4,000 if you include consumables, entry fees, and a basic crew. If you threw that at a build, you still wouldn't have any idea what it would be like to drive on a stage (you might not like it, many don't - particularly coming from carts/tarmac.)

You would stand to spend a bit less if you bought a used car and sold it after one event. The cash outlay would be bigger but you should recover more in the end as long as you don't ball the car up. (Either that, or hang on to it for your first year while you earn coefficients and learn 'the ropes.'

bts spec
I am reluctant to put down a large chunk of change for a 3 day course when that could go towards a beginner rally and obtain more knowledge on my own at rallycross events etc.

Skills learned at a rallycross are virtually irrelevant on stage. That said, Dirfish will be reasonably 'rallycross-ish' for the fundamentals. The nice thing about going to a school - any school - is they set a foundation for what you should learn and how you should apply that knowledge. You could spend a year playing around at rallycrosses and not learn anything near what you would in a day or three at a school. Take what you learn at a school and practice it at rallycross events and you'll build the experience that will help turn the knowledge into skills.

3 days at a school won't make you an expert - no one ever says it will - but it will show you what you need to work on and what you can do to improve.

Everyone I've talked to who's done the Dirtfish school has said it was worth their time and money to do it.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 18, 2014 08:31AM
I'd contact Dick Rockrohr first. They've had a rental Geo in the past.
Second to that, figure out your max budget. Figure on 4-5k for rental, including crew and transport.
We have an open light subaru 2.5rs that may be rentable...

Grant Hughes
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 19, 2014 01:37PM
http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?50553-Rally-car-for-rent-Idaho-Rally-2013-500

Here's details on the Rockrohr Geo I mentioned.

Grant Hughes
alkun
Albert Kun
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

March 19, 2014 11:23PM
that totally kicks ass.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login