Posted by fiasco 
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

STPR 2008...big trouble
October 06, 2007 06:48PM
This was on SpecialStage, which was reposted from STPR.ORG.

Think it should be seen here. Seems they've all but lost the roads, and are going to beat the "alcohol free event" drum even louder as a result of the drunk guy arrested last year.

The roads made this event, it's a damn shame.

STPR® 2007
Administrative Chairperson Report - Meridith L. Croucher
I am very sorry to say that the STPR® that we have been organizing for the last 31 years is now no more. Unfortunately the actions of a few angered the many and DCNR has taken action. In a letter from District Forester, Roy Siefert the following points were presented: 1.) Ensure that at least a component of the rally fits within the Forestry Department’s mission, 2.) Eliminate the water crossing, 3.) Control all access for all hot stages and parking monitors at all spectator areas continuously from 8 a.m. until the clearing car passes after the final stage for that particular spectator area, 4.) Spectator areas need more effective marshals and some form of spectator limits, 5.) Daylight only stages on State Forest Land, 6.) Department of Conservation and Natural Resources can supply a maximum of 10 Rangers.
Stage Rally has evolved over the last few years into a more “professional” event. We have not kept pace with the changes, basically remaining the same, resting on our laurels and reminiscing about the “old days.”
What I will be doing looking ahead to 2008 has many facets. First I will be establishing a “core” group to deal with the massive changes that are required. Those people have already been contacted. We will begin looking at all the options that are available to us; keeping in mind National events shall have at least 100 miles or 140 minutes of special stages. In the past we have had more than that!
This Core group will begin meeting at the end of the month and bring others into it as each problem is addressed. Our priority will be the route first, and then we will be taking on the other problems one by one. The regular committee meetings will begin in January as usual. It is my expectation that we can overcome this setback, and continue to have one of the foremost events in the country.
We are in the process of partnering with the Tioga County Fairgrounds. One of the visions I have is a “Super Special Stage” that can be run as many as 3 times. This will give the spectators an opportunity to watch the rally cars in a controlled environment. It is so controlled that we may be able to sell tickets. We may be able to get enough money to repay the communities for allowing us to play in their forest by returning more money to the various fire companies, ambulances, hospitals and other groups.
There is also some private land that we may be able to get permission to use. We will be chasing that dream as well.
The events at Colton Point have increased my resolve to see STPR® remain an Alcohol Free event. The incident of a few years ago was one of us, and unfortunately again it was one of us. I will be contacting the PA State Troopers and the Tioga County Sheriff’s office to assist us in that.
I recognize a need for education of the volunteers for the positions they are asked to control. I will be revisiting the DVD that was done a few years ago to update it and perhaps show on the website.
The Supplemental Regulations will be reviewed and revised to reflect the changes in what and where we will be competing in 2008. There will be a new fee structure to better meet the needs of the organization and the competitors.
Communications has been a problem since I came on board this committee. We will also be scrutinizing this, identifying the problems and working through to resolution. Rob will continue as Communications chief, but we will all be sensitive to his needs as communications is part of what “broke” the event. We may be working more closely with the folks that allow us to use their repeaters and radio equipment without charge to see how we can help not abuse the equipment.
This seems like a lot, but it is only the tip of the iceberg that struck the Titanic. Once we assess the real damage, we can go deeper to continue to make STPR® the best event on the Rally America schedul

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Rallyho
Mike White
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 900 - aka-The Swedish Rally Tractor

Re: STPR 2008...big trouble
October 06, 2007 07:21PM
WTF? I mean really. what the fuck...

what the fuck do they want?
what the fuck do they expect?
What the fuck is their problem?

What the fuck!?

She's screamn' fer eet!
Rallyho
Mike White
http://www.facebook.com/rallyhomotorsports
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

October 06, 2007 09:18PM
The DCNR wants a parade of Priuses drinking free-range lattes through the forest followed by a memorial service for the gravel that gave valuable surface area and was turned to dust so the hybrid cruise could happen.

I don't know what can be done to save the STPR roads.

At least they still friggin' LOVE us in Canada!!!

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

October 06, 2007 11:00PM
I have personally seen some DCNR people warning wanna be rally racers in Subies racing on public acces roads. So not to my surprise this shit is hapening.

rally gods would turn in their graves if they ever knew Lada's were now part of EU rallying!!!
Saabfarm
Luke Sørensen
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
SAAB 99

October 07, 2007 01:18AM
So all night stages are gone? And they want a stupid special at a fairground? Barf. I am sure the format will have to go to 2 days nows... Sounds like I won't need to bother with ANY rally america events next year.
tedm
Ted Mendham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
once upon a time drove WRX, Sentra, SAAB 99

October 08, 2007 09:31AM
Yeah, think about the percentage of stage miles that used to run at night and all the minor issues. Definitely looks like the end of STPR as we knew it.
DCNR probably has had more than enough of the unruly drunks and the wannabees in the woods.

A fairgrounds super-special will work for the Travis and Ken show, though. They can do some autograph signing, give out trinkets and maybe build a big jump.

STPR had: smooth, fast, unforgiving stage roads and lot's of them, a great do-it-all in 24 hours endurance format, a supportive headquarter town (Wellsboro), was run in beautiful country, and was the oldest continually running event in the series, what ever the series was called.

It was the first rally I ever attended.

I mean no disrespect to the organisers, but I don't see this as a tail-spin that they are going to pull out of by June.

RIP STPR!

Ted Mendham
www.rensport.net
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

October 08, 2007 03:45PM
So does that mean we re gonna miss out on the girls dressed up in prom wear?
smiling smiley

rally gods would turn in their graves if they ever knew Lada's were now part of EU rallying!!!
Phlyan Pan
Travis Sleight
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Moved on....wasn't much of a rally car anyway

October 08, 2007 04:27PM
They didn't say they were canceling the prom. Just get some sketchy sunglasses and hit the town.

Hey...I have a schoolbus.....

wait, forget I said that....

"Time to unpimp ze auuto."

sleightc (A.T.) Yahoo {DOT} com
tedm
Ted Mendham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
once upon a time drove WRX, Sentra, SAAB 99

October 09, 2007 07:19AM
I watched Death Proof last night. I have some new ideas about how those prom girls party. Stuntman Mike says we don't need a sanction.

Ted Mendham
www.rensport.net
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login