Posted by Nubby 
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

Re: Noob Crew Questions
April 04, 2014 09:59AM
You should also have a checklist for your rally car. (at least I think so). Go over it before each rally. I'll post mine as an example.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhxb13nv25ce14j/Rally%20check-list.docx
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Attachments:
open | download - checklist.jpg (58.1 KB)
checklist.jpg
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

April 04, 2014 10:02AM
Also, part of my movement plan includes a fuel burn sheet. So I know how much fuel the rally car will go through and how much needs to be put in at each service and overnight.

Here is one from last year Ojibwe.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7h64jmmrf5uwm2/2013_ofpr_fuel_burn.xlsx
Attachments:
open | download - fuelburn.jpg (100.2 KB)
fuelburn.jpg
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

April 06, 2014 12:36AM
I'd just like to say that, having been volunteering in various crew-related roles since 2004, comping any BS sanctioning body fees (never heard of that, but haven't even been to a RA event in at least five years), providing even a rudimentary movement plan, and a solid checklist goes a long way toward not only smooth service, but also a really enjoyable time for those people driving out to lend a hand.

Since 2004, the only time I've paid for my own hotel, lunch, or dinner while helping the Marciniaks has been when I've been volunteering to work High Desert Trails - and even then, they deliver free lunches to courseworkers during the event.

These days, I don't really need the movement plan or checklist, but it's good to have at the ready to share with new team members. It ensures you - as the volunteer crew member - don't miss something important.

Interestingly, the only time we ever had a where's-the-crew-when-we-really-need-them moment, was at Desert Storm in 2007 or so. Trailer was at the hotel, and there was this come-one-come-all spectator stage about an hour away from the service park. We were spectating, didn't see the car, and word got to us the Neon was borked. Two hours to get the trailer to the car.

Don't think we've been back since.

Keep your movement plan high level. Comp your crew. It's the right thing to do.

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login