Posted by lelikmed 
lelikmed
Alex Kuklov
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 RS

Shit that bends... on Subaru.
April 06, 2014 11:04AM
There isn't many K.Blocks, Higginses or L'Estages on this web site who can afford to hire 5 -10 people crew or carry a separate bus full of spares. I am more practical and have to approach rally realistically.
Something happens there is only so much I can do to fix it and go back.
There are some minor damage to suspension that can be quickly repaired and car brought back to a stage. Here is a question regarding spare parts for Subaru suspension recommended to have.

Control arm - steel
trailing arms rear
Lateral arms rear
Spare calipers
brake hoses
Top hats for shocks
One front axle
One rear axle

I don't carry spare knuckles or spare wheel studs ( I use APR) and the reason is that these are less likely to brake or bend. More likely something else would give way.

Opinions?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbozzzzzz

Re: Shit that bends... on Subaru.
April 06, 2014 11:07AM
Carry a full set of spare OEM sprint/struts. Even if it's busted. Front and rear.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

April 06, 2014 11:13AM
I've replaced more rear uprights on Subarus at events than control arms due to wheel bearing failing.

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 06, 2014 11:58AM
Tavarich one of the things I have been told that routinely fail---leading to damage and DNFs is the captive nuts inside the bodyshell where a lot of the junk screws into. Captive nut held in with cheezoid resistence weld tears look, control arm flops and round and bangs banmgs bangs and then rips loose.

Then people say "The control arm failed/bent/whatever" when it was first the stinking captive nut.. Several you have no access to the back side (where the bolt sticks thru) because there is a false floor.

It seems some work welding in more substantial nuts, what some people call "Thimbles" would go a long way towards reducing more serious failures.

Are you familiar with this idea and solution?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Do It Sidewayz
Chris Martin
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
E-85 powered Impreza

April 06, 2014 12:58PM
NoCoast
I've replaced more rear uprights on Subarus at events than control arms due to wheel bearing failing.

Sorry...but no pre-event check? Even if a wheel bearing starts making some noise on stage 1, it would/should finish the event!

As for the original list:

Control arm - steel - Yes, a pair pre assembled WITH Balljoints, by far fastest way to change a control arm is pull the pinch bolt from the hub and knock control arm out. If you have not aready, pull the joints and make sure the bolt and hub are anti-siezed.

trailing arms rear - If you happen to trip on them or have a set, may as well, but not essential by any means

Lateral arms rear - Yes, they take up almost zero space. But make absolutely sure you remove the lateral links, especially the "Big Bolt from Hell", and grease/anti-sieze.

Spare calipers - Wouldn't bother, but do carry spare pads

brake hoses - Yes, a full set of Stainless Braided lines is like $100, buy a complete kit, do not open it, and put it in your spare package. The kit will include banjo bolts, sealing washers, clips.

Top hats for shocks - Replace the stuff on the car with NEW ones, All 4 mounts are like $250 total, but a new set and throw the old ones in the spare package. The rear mounts have been known to fail, the steel in the mount rusts and separates from rubber.

One front axle - Yes

One rear axle - You will VERY likely need both sides. Depending on the diff you are running the axles may be different left/right. Some LSD's require different splines from one side to the other.

I would add a full set of FULLY ASSEMBLED STRUTS. 2004 STi inverted struts make a FANTASTIC set of spares for Subaru. Around here you can get a complete set with springs, top hats, etc for about $450 from JDM importers (version 7 sti). I cannot stress fully assembled enough, you don't have a chance in hell changing struts in a 20 minute service if they need to monkey with springs and top hats. But changing out a fully assembled unit can be done in 3 minutes a corner.

For the record, none of this shit just bends unless you are hitting stuff!

Chris
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

April 06, 2014 03:22PM
Do It Sidewayz
NoCoast
Sorry...but no pre-event check? Even if a wheel bearing starts making some noise on stage 1, it would/should finish the event!

Chris' list is spot on.
They were checked pre-event. It was fine until final transit when it became super loud. If we didn't find a new one, we'd have run it. (100AW this year)
The big issue is that I've mostly been involved with budget builds and running original or often even junkyard replacements.

John - Aside from the Merkur control arm one, I've never had a captive nut be a problem on any car provided one isn't a moron with a 1200 ft lb impact.

Grant Hughes
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

April 07, 2014 08:10AM
lelikmed
I don't carry spare knuckles or spare wheel studs ( I use APR) and the reason is that these are less likely to brake or bend. More likely something else would give way.

Opinions?

You should carry spare lug nuts in your car and have spare wheel studs with your service vehicle.

Lug nuts can easily come off during a rally due to not being torqued by a service member or get lost during a tire change (either during service or on stage).

I've also ruined studs before on my Subaru, multiple times.
simoniac
Simon Wright
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Focus

April 07, 2014 09:24AM
The ARP studs will be longer that oem which means there will be exposed threads if you use oem lug nuts. Consider longer lug nuts to keep those threads covered. I think the steel ones are better than aluminum ones for rally so watch for that if you get "tuner" lug nuts. And, of course, make sure your inexperienced crew know to hand-thread the lug nuts until they're sure that they're properly started before using the impact gun to wind them on the rest of the way.

Simon Wright
Owner/Driver USUK Racing - Home of the USUK Racing LED Light Bars!

North America Rally Map
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 07, 2014 09:33AM
NoCoast

John - Aside from the Merkur control arm one, I've never had a captive nut be a problem on any car provided one isn't a moron with a 1200 ft lb impact.

OK Grant, fine , whatever.. Just going off what a guy who was full time working on nothing but Pat Richard's Subaru from his very begining to several years later...Ya Know--full time???
Daily? And the cars getting pounded..

It was the old Dave Clark and he said --perhaps---I don't know---a bit exaggerated------

"Every stinkin captive nut on the whole car rips loose---so you gotta have these "thimble things".

Made a lotta sense...

So Tavarich Alexei now internet has brought you what it does so perfectly:
One guy says "Guy spent year working sorta -high level, big budget says to me "the captive nuts rip out, maybe think about reinforcing before hand"..........

Other guy says "I never seen that...no problem"

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

April 07, 2014 10:10AM
john vanlandingham
OK Grant, fine , whatever.. Just going off what a guy who was full time working on nothing but Pat Richard's Subaru from his very begining to several years later...Ya Know--full time???
Daily? And the cars getting pounded..

It was the old Dave Clark and he said --perhaps---I don't know---a bit exaggerated------

"Every stinkin captive nut on the whole car rips loose---so you gotta have these "thimble things".

Made a lotta sense...

So Tavarich Alexei now internet has brought you what it does so perfectly:
One guy says "Guy spent year working sorta -high level, big budget says to me "the captive nuts rip out, maybe think about reinforcing before hand"..........

Other guy says "I never seen that...no problem"

And now the internet has brought you what rally does so perfectly:
In my experience, mostly with friends who working class guys doing their own work and doing a rally or two a year max, this hasn't been an issue...
Rebuked with, "One fairly wealthy guy that was also ridiculously fast and could afford to pay one well respected rallyist to build and maintain his car did it, or should we say, PAID the guy who now says it's mandatory to do it."

Wonder what Zimmer or Don Kennedy or others that have like 50+ events in GC Subarus think...

Grant Hughes
KTurner
Kevin Turner
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2wd Impreza... dude you should do an sti swap

April 07, 2014 10:28AM
the 2 impreza shells I've had have been attacked by a hole saw from the inside the fish out broken captive nuts. at least 1 on the rear subframe on each shell plus the rear control arm mount on the current shell (I know at least one other street/rallyx car with this repair too). They seem to break loose when disassembling.

-KTurner
Stomp down on the exhilarator and hold on to the wheel.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

April 07, 2014 10:45AM
Oh yeah, what were those awesomely expensive things called to replace the captive nuts on the rear subframes that were all the rage a few years back? Basically a thick wall tube of correct diameter for the bolt.
I bet this IS more of a problem in areas with more rust issues.

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 07, 2014 11:10AM
NoCoast
Oh yeah, what were those awesomely expensive things called to replace the captive nuts on the rear subframes that were all the rage a few years back? Basically a thick wall tube of correct diameter for the bolt.

Yeah that's the things. Extremely expensive because somebody was either really greedy or cynical or doesn't know how to make things at a fair price. Simple long weld nuts. Easy principle:
integral washer and goes from bottom all the thru from bottom to top panel, and use a longer bolt, and thus stable ... A sort of ideal "do it once, then forget it" idea.

But hey it never happens so why bother?
Kevin is mistaken..

Must be like Jamie Drummond says of DMS "There has NEVER been a single failure of any DMS product in competition" it's always installer error.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
lelikmed
Alex Kuklov
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 RS

April 07, 2014 11:17AM
The only reason I don't carry a spare assembled suspenders, because I use Proflex. If these bend then I think car has far bigger problem. Otherwise I have spare KYB/ground control assembly.
Don't know how useful they are though.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

April 07, 2014 11:22AM
john vanlandingham
NoCoast

Yeah that's the things. Extremely expensive because somebody was either really greedy or cynical or doesn't know how to make things at a fair price. Simple long weld nuts. Easy principle:
integral washer and goes from bottom all the thru from bottom to top panel, and use a longer bolt, and thus stable ... A sort of ideal "do it once, then forget it" idea.

But hey it never happens so why bother?
Kevin is mistaken..

Must be like Jamie Drummond says of DMS "There has NEVER been a single failure of any DMS product in competition" it's always installer error.

It probably is installer error. Over-torque, cross threading, or rusty hardware.

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login