Rally Chat
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Can RWD win 2wd national events consistently?

Posted by b00sted 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Can RWD win 2wd national events consistently?
May 13, 2014 10:37AM
A friend and I were conversing just last week. He said something along the line of, "We should pick a car and start developing parts for it." Then, "No , I mean something like a Kia Rio or Chevy Sonic" and then, "like people did with the Fiesta, Focus, and Golf."

I had to laugh as I tried to figure out what aside from the Burmeister top mounts, new Wimpey brake kit, and an M-Sport kit had really been "developed" for those three for rallying.

Grant Hughes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2014 01:51PM by NoCoast.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

May 13, 2014 01:45PM
You mean here? Lotsa stuff was developed for the Golf, just not much was developed here. And everyone's mostly moved on.

Self-righteous douche canoe
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

May 13, 2014 01:52PM
Developed and available should have been clarified. A manufacturer effort and unobtainium parts doesn't count. smiling smiley

Grant Hughes
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

May 13, 2014 02:40PM
Huh? Lotsa stuff was developed for the Golf. Ricardo/Gemini gearsets, bunch of different R/P sets, Selholm had a whole line of stuff, multiple different kinds of diffs, trailing arm bearings, a plethora of strut mount/camber plates, bigger hubs, off-the-shelf struts, etc. Most of it's gone now, but there was a lot available until about 10 years ago. Then it started fading, and now it's all getting hard to find.

I think there was lots of stuff made for the Focus too, but only the Euro version. Dunno really though.

I don't know what US car I'd pick today to develop parts for. You'd want something from a Manuf that more or less keeps the same model around for awhile. Ford/Mazda are already covered, and so is Toyota. I'd probably leap on that bandwagon and develop parts for those for awhile. Maybe MINIs too, as they've been out for over a decade and I bet they're going to be getting cheap to get used. That's all keyboard-musing of course; I haven't actually looked at any of those shells with an eye for suitability.

Self-righteous douche canoe
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

May 13, 2014 02:51PM
hoche
I think there was lots of stuff made for the Focus too, but only the Euro version. Dunno really though.

Most of the "development" for the focus was updating and back dating parts to build a focus that worked. And figuring out what small changes were needed to be made to the shell to let it survive mostly intact. Which is very similar to what happened for the VW cars that I saw.

Isn't this also what is happening to Subarus now at least for the Open Light crowd. I need this year shell, with this new motor, and that older dif, etc, etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login