Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

Great opinion piece on current WRC affairs
May 13, 2014 12:02AM
http://www.irallylive.com/ir_news.htm?00006678

Over the past fifteen years there has been a developing cult of making change in the sport for its own sake, in the past few years there has been an obsession that changes must be made because the top end of the sport is not being televised. Hold on, getting the sport on to television is not a life-saving operation, it is a method of trying to bring more money into the sport.

The sport is not at risk because of a perceived shortfall in television coverage, it is at risk because it encourages money to be spent in the wrong way.

Although I don't think anyone in the US is proposing the sort of hair-brained changes that VW etc. are, it's amazing how much of this piece is still applicable IMO.

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Great opinion piece on current WRC affairs
May 13, 2014 10:34AM

Maybe it would be heretical to suggest that the sport would be healthier if the world championship was fought out with R2 cars.

Grant Hughes
Jens
Jens
Infallible Moderator

Re: Great opinion piece on current WRC affairs
May 14, 2014 10:43AM
Martin Holmes must be reading some of my posts from rally_l. Some of this sounds really familiar.

"....Rallying will continue to exist whether it is televised or not, active participants will continue to enjoy what they are doing."

"....the failure to recognise the distraction that television actually creates. Rallying is not a stadium sport"

Well, Marty, I have news for you. Kurt Spitzner and his disciples can show WRC the way to rally prosperity.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login