Andrew Comrie-Picard
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Ford Fiesta, Dodge Colt

ACP
Looking for Colt engine
May 16, 2014 11:11AM
Hi guys-

I'm looking for a good 2L 4G52 for my Dodge Colt rally car. We had a 2.6L 4G54 in it but (a) that came apart, like the previous one, and (b) Canada rules would require ballast. Otherwise I'd build the various 2.6s we have around.

What I'd really like is a built engine, a little warmed-up. What I want asap is a good running engine, even dead stock. Not really looking for a core, although I'll consider anything.

2.4 from the 80s Mitsubishi/Mazda pickups possible too, if we can make the manifold work, or (oh god) convert to injection.

Nearer to Vancouver is best. We can p/u in PNW.

Thanks,
ACP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2014 11:11AM by ACP.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Looking for Colt engine
May 16, 2014 12:49PM
yo doooood.

Can you check the 2.6 cranks you have for main bearing diameter?

There were 2 main bearing sizes: early huge thing, later "more reasonable" size...

Since you have MOST of what you need you could very easily put together a much better motor than either the 2,6 truck thing or the 2,0 by comboning the following:

2,6 block with its 91,1mm bore
2,0 crank with its 90mm stroke

If you wanted to freshen the thing, a set of ---if you can find them---VW aircooled Cima-Mahle forged pistons for about $320-360 in 92mm size

makes for a 92x90 motor that is like 2393cc*....and is happy to rev.... all you need to do is bush the rods....easy.

So whatever its of course necessary that the crank goes with the block so big journal crank in a early big journal block or later--better smaller journal (smaller but still HUGE by modern standards) crank into later small journal block.. It is a massive crank, too...a few minutes checked up in a big lathe could lop off a few dozen kilos. And the flywheel is easily 40-60 lbs----or seems like it.

So if you say what the blocks you have are, I can probably find a crank.

It is seriously doubtful that you'll find anything worth wasting the time to install these days so I'd plan on a econo-build...

You have Canajian 2 valve heads? There's easy nice one piece valves waiting, big 'uns too.

Hardest thing with those is: camshafts amusing enough, making comp and not detonating, and intake manifold for getting enough air to have fun.

I did one like this decades ago, ran gooood, later heard somebody in Ontario did one and dynoed a bazillion Canajian HP but there was always the exchange rate to think about---real example:
Nissan themselves said they couldn't really make more than 175 bhp from L20B...Garage built Ratsoon guys from Calgary were claiming 240 bhp... and were kicked and stomped on by a Saab with max 130bhp.

Whatever the case the hybrid thing is really easy and lots of fun...just have to carve off some of the insane diesel sized parts---which indeed are used in diesels:crank and flywheel..

I have nice easy clutch solution too

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
ACP
Andrew Comrie-Picard
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Ford Fiesta, Dodge Colt

ACP
May 16, 2014 05:37PM
Sounds interesting, funny that we have been putting the long cranks in the 4G63 motors with almost the same formula to make the 2.3s in the Evos. Plus ca change...

But unusually for me, I'm not looking for anything innovative in the build. Just absolute fill-with-pump-gas-and-do-the-rally, for a lot of rallies. I have to avoid going down the rabbit hole of trying to make this car competitive, because otherwise it will have a sequential dogbox and flat shifting in it in no time.

One of the engines I have must be the one you built: VW aircooled pistons. Looks like it detonated badly, was in parts in the trunk. Rings were pretty beat up too. What was the CR?

Are there really no reasonable 4G52 2L engines out there?

ACP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2014 06:11PM by ACP.
heymagic
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

May 16, 2014 09:16PM
Seems like there was some grief with the 2.0/2.6 block bolt pattern. The 2.6 five speed blocks were different than the 2.6 autos which were the same as the 2.0s. So a 2.0 might not bolt to your 2.6 five schpeed.

I know where a nice low mile 318 V8 is....that alone would handle the weight penalty.
ACP
Andrew Comrie-Picard
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Ford Fiesta, Dodge Colt

ACP
May 18, 2014 11:29AM
heymagic
Seems like there was some grief with the 2.0/2.6 block bolt pattern. The 2.6 five speed blocks were different than the 2.6 autos which were the same as the 2.0s. So a 2.0 might not bolt to your 2.6 five schpeed.

I know where a nice low mile 318 V8 is....that alone would handle the weight penalty.

Ha! Thanks Gene. Does the V8 actually fit?

We've got a variety of four gearboxes and three driveshafts not including the one we had to make to get the D50 trans to fit last time. It's true that we need 2wd manual-trans blocks, but I think we could fit either 2.0 or 2.6 blocks at this point.

Nobody out there? OK, how about cores then?

ACP
heymagic
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

May 18, 2014 02:24PM
Send me a text reminder tomorrow and I'll see what I can locate around here sir. I'll get side tracked and won't remember otherwise.
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

May 21, 2014 09:45AM
I will put the word out to my colt buddy.
heymagic
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

May 21, 2014 03:52PM
Seems like a lost cause from a wrecking yeard aspect, at least local phone calls and carpart.com network. Maybe consider going to a small v6 or 2.5 4 cyl out of an early 90's Dakota. Not ideal but options seem limited. Maybe a newer Mitsu 2.0 or 2.4 ish if there is a feasable RWD conversion.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

May 21, 2014 04:56PM
There're some Ram 50s in the junkyards around here. No idea if those really have the right engine or what kind of shape they're in, but I can go pull 'em if you want. Shouldn't be too hard to get stuff from central Cal to Vancouver.

http://row52.com/Search/?Year=&LocationId=0&ZipCode=95128&Distance=500&MakeId=117&ModelId=1641&Page=1
http://row52.com/Search/?Year=&LocationId=0&ZipCode=95128&Distance=500&MakeId=117&ModelId=1610&Page=1

There're also some Mighty Maxen:
http://row52.com/Search/?Year=1978-1990&LocationId=0&ZipCode=95128&Distance=500&MakeId=186&ModelId=3673&Page=1

Self-righteous douche canoe

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2014 07:18PM by hoche.
heymagic
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

May 21, 2014 05:58PM
Michel,
Those would be the guilty parties. They had either a 2.0 or 2.6. Manual trans likely the correct engine, but not sure that AT engine won't bolt in also. Can you check and see size, runners or cores please?
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

May 21, 2014 07:42PM
Ok, I think I can stop by and visit the Ram 50 and MM in Newark tomorrow, and possibly the D50 up in Windsor on Sunday. The rest will have to wait for another weekend.

Almost all of these are automatics.

I'll need to know what I should be looking for - any specific markings on the block, etc. I also might be able to do a comp check, but it'll be on a cold engine of course.

Self-righteous douche canoe
heymagic
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

May 21, 2014 08:26PM
Blocks will either be 4g52 - 2.0 or 4g54 -2.6 . Beyond that same as any other old POS smiling smiley
Bdacres
Brent Dacres
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
90 Eagle Talon AWD

May 22, 2014 07:16AM
Look up George Beckerman. known as Gravelgeezer on here. He has our old 79 Dodge Colt still in his barn. I wish I could buy it but just can't. We raced it at RWV in 2006. Motor has dual Mikuni carbs last I saw it and don't think it has changed, 5 speed trans and posi 4.63 rearend. He is down in SE Ill. Was a solid car with a good driveline under it.

I know that the Mighty Max engine is a straight swap over except for maybe intake. When I bought our car it came with a new engine in it. Was bought out in California where the car was built.
Brent Dacres

Brent Dacres
Cincinnati,Oh

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2014 07:24AM by Bdacres.
ACP
Andrew Comrie-Picard
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Ford Fiesta, Dodge Colt

ACP
May 22, 2014 06:50PM
Great advice everyone! And thanks for all the help!

Hoche - has to be manual trans - the block is different for autos. Thanks in particular for your help!

Kind of looking for something on the west coast, but I'll look up George too. We haven't talked for a decade!

ACP
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 22, 2014 07:20PM
i still dun't unnersta what you are intending/wanting. You just want some old junkyard motor?
Where's the fun in that?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login