ACP
Andrew Comrie-Picard
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Ford Fiesta, Dodge Colt

ACP
Re: Looking for Colt engine
May 22, 2014 11:32PM
Want 100% (or as close to 100%) reliable motor. So tidy runner is about perfect (junkyard maybe OK). Not planning to build. Haven't the time or $.

I've been lucky to run on the sharp end with the fancy stuff, and even now get to drive someone else's brand new car full of M-Sport and sequential Sadev.

The Colt won't take the kind of beating that the Reiger/Sadev/OZ stuff will take. So I don't see the point having a big engine that will outperform the rest of the car.

Just want it to be reliable. No mechanical DNFs ever. If we get into a battle at some rally, well, I'll make it go as fast as it'll take. It's all just for fun. No sponsors, no driving for points, just driving like Bo Duke as legally as possible. Then putting more gas in it.

Good question though.

ACP
Please Login or Register to post a reply
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

May 23, 2014 01:47AM
Well, the two MM's and two D50s in the yards nearest me have already been stripped of their engines. I think I'll have time to check another yard up near Santa Rosa this weekend, but even if they have engines I'm not sure when I could pull one. Maybe Alex S. could do it, but he's sort of busy these days.

Another option might be to check the make-specific salvage yards in Rancho Cordova near Sacramento. I just bought a known-good Subaru engine from there and it was $45 to have it delivered to me here in San Jose. You could either have it shipped directly to you or get it to me and we can work out some way to get it up the coast. Or get it to Lee S. who's right there in Sac and who makes semi-regular trips up north. Lots of possibilities - it just may not be right away.

Just out of curiosity, what's different about the block for the automatics?

Self-righteous douche canoe
heymagic
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

May 23, 2014 10:07AM
Mitsu messed around with two different blocks. Narrow bell housing and wide bell housing. Many of the early 2.0s (any) and 2.6 ATs used the narrow block. The 2.6 5 speed used the wide block. There was a 2.4 in the mix that fits somewhere. I used to race the 2.0 twin carb import motors and they were reliable..not powerfull but reliable. The 2.6 had timing chain issues and head gasket issues and most of them are just worn out junk by now. I'm digging on the Mitsu forums to get more info.

The carbs they used were very shitty, constant choke sticking issues, expensive to fix. Oil was always diluted with gas and I imagine that ruined more than a few of them.
ACP
Andrew Comrie-Picard
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Ford Fiesta, Dodge Colt

ACP
May 23, 2014 11:03AM
This is becoming SO helpful; thanks guys! I know also that the 4x4 has a different engine bolt pattern. I was advised I need to look for manual trans RWD.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 23, 2014 07:31PM
heymagic
The 2.6 had timing chain issues and head gasket issues and most of them are just worn out junk by now. I'm digging on the Mitsu forums!!!!! to get more info.eye popping smiley

That‘s odd,considering that here are all the parts different between each version 2.0 and 2, whatever: (the G54B or 4G54 was 2555cc. First in pick ups and Firearrows they call it 2.6 and the same enine in Starions they call it 2.5, but its the same thing..91.1 x 98mm)

Crank--for different stroke
Piston diameter mentioned earlier, and rings of course.
Block to match the pistons

Everything else is the same: rods, rod small end size, rod bearings, main bearings, oil pump, chains, guides, skids, tensioner, covers sprockets, balance shafts and drive, rockers, springs, retainers etc , everything..

The interesting thing is that we have learned--well some of us who build engines that smaller bore sizes up to about 86mm, burn the charge better than large more motors---things about 86mm...
So while the hybrid worked great and ran like a clock for god know how many seasons (until tired valve springs let valve smack a piston)---and 92mm allowed room for bigger valves...........

The 2,0 with smaller bore could be fun--if there was some easy cheap way to up the compression.

Screw it get one of these up in BC:

4D55
2.3 კუბატურის დიზელი
Displacement - 2.3 L (2,346 cc)
Bore - 91.1 mm
Stroke - 90.0 mm
Fuel Type - Diesel
Valves per cylinder - 2

Looks like they went ahead and did what was my big plan...it does suggest itself and is so easy.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2014 07:35PM by john vanlandingham.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

May 29, 2014 02:32AM
Well, I didn't get a chance to check out the Santa Rosa Pick'n'Pull last weekend after all, but those are all listed as automatics anyway. There're still a couple listed as manuals at the Fairfield one but that's an hour and some change from here so please let me know if you still need me to go look.

Self-righteous douche canoe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login