Please Login or Register to post a reply
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

Re: STPR Club Rally?
June 02, 2014 10:46AM
The first rule of Club Rally is: You do not talk about Club Rally. The second rule of Club Rally is: You do not talk about Club Rally
imnotcrazy
Don Kennedy
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Impreza

June 02, 2014 10:56AM
Use this to see all the entrants, irregardless (I know it's not a word) of national or regional.

http://www.daronhume.com/rally/combine.php5

Don Kennedy
imnotcrazy
Don Kennedy
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Impreza

June 02, 2014 10:57AM
BTW, what happened to the Bug, John?

Don Kennedy
markhuebbe
Mark Huebbe
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle (Historic)

June 02, 2014 11:06AM
Transaxle looks to be failing. Loud clunky, thunky, bangy noises when there should be none. It was rebuilt over the winter to fix a couple of minor issues, so I'm suspecting there was something wrong with the rebuild.

http://www.huebberally.com
imnotcrazy
Don Kennedy
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Impreza

June 02, 2014 12:07PM
Sorry to hear about that. Alot of spectators at my location asking "where's the bug"?

Don Kennedy
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

June 02, 2014 12:37PM
imnotcrazy
BTW, what happened to the Bug, John?

As Mark said, the DNF is due to the transaxle.

On Stage 1 we had a belt failure. The head temps skyrocketed to 400deg. and the alternator light came on. So we pulled over about 3 miles from the finish, got out a belt and the tools for the repair.

My guess is that the idler pulley bearing was over heating and seizing up (or spinning slower), so the belt was being destroyed. There was melted rubber everywhere. Luckily we keep 2 spare belts up front by the spare wheel (have never needed them before) Took about 4 to 5 minutes total. In the future I'm going to keep a spare belt & 6mm hex wrench with my gear, so a replacement will go quicker. It just took too long to get the tools out and find the 6mm.

Also on stage 1 we had a flat right rear tire (2 large dents in the steel wheel) and the #1 exhaust pipe had a missing bolt from the flange. So on the transit to stage 2 we pulled over, I changed the wheel with the spare and Mark stole a bolt & nut from one of the mud flaps and used it on the exhaust.

On Stages 2 & 3 we decided to drive a bit conservative and keep the revs lower, in the hopes that the idler would spin slower and help save the belt. After stage 2 we noticed a bit more missing rubber. So before stage 3 Mark changed the belt with the other spare (which looked to be a better quality belt anyhow)

On stage 3 about 1 mile in we got stuck on the outside of a left 2- turn in a bunch of loose gravel. As we decided before to keep the revs down, we came into the turn and the car bogged with the lower revs, couldn't get it rotated in time and the rear wheels got sucked into the loose stuff. Instant wheelspin and we were going nowhere. We were in a bad spot too (very tight corner) I got out and ran up the road to warn the next car. After that car came by, I ran back to see if Mark made any progress with getting the car un-stuck. He wanted me to try and push, but by that time another car was due in maybe 20 seconds. So, I ran back up the road, waited for that car to go by, then ran back to the car and successfully got it un-stuck.

As for the trans, we decided to park it after both super special stages. No sense trying to continue the next day and destroy the transmission.
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

June 02, 2014 12:37PM
imnotcrazy
Sorry to hear about that. Alot of spectators at my location asking "where's the bug"?

Yeah, we were disappointed with not running on Saturday. Great roads!
Brad M
Brad Morris
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2WD Mitsubishi Lancer

June 02, 2014 12:39PM
Thanks Don!

Brad
czwalga
steve czwalga
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

June 02, 2014 01:08PM
I posted this on SS.

Was excited to be involved in an actual battle and pushed harder than I normally would have because of it.

First Regional Alex edged Samir by 5 seconds, got him on the last stage. Torren had overheating issues. Mcnamara was also right in the mix, but he had an off.
Alex Kuklov / Chris Rosato 57:31.7
Samir Kaltak / Rachelle Kaltak 57:35.6
Steve Czwalga / Steven Czwalga 58:18.6

Second regional going into the final leg:

Alex Kuklov / Chris Rosato........... 31:54.8
Torren Carlson / Aris Mantopoulos..32:02.1
Samir Kaltak / Rachelle Kaltak........32:02.6
Steve Czwalga / Steven Czwalga...32:05.6

The times aren't complete, all 4 of us were within 11 seconds with the last leg, and I edged Alex by a few seconds and I think Torren and Samir just a few seconds behind him. One bad turn was all it took to go from 1st to 4th.
czwalga
steve czwalga
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

June 02, 2014 01:26PM
I also tried black rocket tires for the first time. BR22 hards. Wear was excellent, grip not so much. However i'm not throwing the towel in on them yet, stock STI rear suspension and a rear sway bar... rear end was all over the place. I'm told get rid of the rear sway bar on the subarus. That was the setup I ran on my celica and I liked it. Got used to it by the end of the rally though and picked up the speed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2014 01:28PM by czwalga.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 02, 2014 01:52PM
czwalga
I also tried black rocket tires for the first time. BR22 hards. Wear was excellent, grip not so much. However i'm not throwing the towel in on them yet, stock STI rear suspension and a rear sway bar... rear end was all over the place. I'm told get rid of the rear sway bar on the subarus. That was the setup I ran on my celica and I liked it. Got used to it by the end of the rally though and picked up the speed.

Steve what inflation were you using?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
czwalga
steve czwalga
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

June 02, 2014 02:04PM
john vanlandingham
czwalga

Steve what inflation were you using?

I started with 30 and ended up with 25/26. Did seem to get a little better with the lower pressures, but its hard to tell because it was a brand new car and more miles I just felt more comfortable with it.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 02, 2014 02:07PM
czwalga
I started with 30 and ended up with 25/26. Did seem to get a little better with the lower pressures, but its hard to tell because it was a brand new car and more miles I just felt more comfortable with it.

I've always ran 21-23 on Michelin tires. 30 is certainly way too much.

Grant Hughes
markhuebbe
Mark Huebbe
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle (Historic)

June 02, 2014 02:11PM
I've talked with Buffum and he recommends 27-28 hot on the French rubber. I've had luck with 24-26 hot.

Try forgetting to air them down after mounting them and it gets super scary on pavement. 60psi is twitchy.

http://www.huebberally.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login