Posted by NoCoast 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Opening a new rally shop
June 08, 2014 01:49PM
We also have vinyl cutter for decals and such!

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

June 11, 2014 08:07AM
Grant, you need to get the word out.

In the last week I've had three Colorado guys (2 with E36, one with an E30) call our shop looking for assistance. Neither one knew of you. And at least one of the E36 guys had been to a rallycross out there. While maybe niave, none of them seemed like total dreamers and they were mostly well into a build of some sort.

Are you attending the local rallycross events?

FWIW, you are the fifth person I know that has started a new shop this year, even though in your case it may just be evolutionary. Seems like every one of them is prospering. smileys with beer

Jason McDaniel
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 11, 2014 05:48PM
modernbeat
Grant, you need to get the word out.

In the last week I've had three Colorado guys (2 with E36, one with an E30) call our shop looking for assistance. Neither one knew of you. And at least one of the E36 guys had been to a rallycross out there. While maybe niave, none of them seemed like total dreamers and they were mostly well into a build of some sort.

Are you attending the local rallycross events?

FWIW, you are the fifth person I know that has started a new shop this year, even though in your case it may just be evolutionary. Seems like every one of them is prospering. smileys with beer

That's the hardest part. I haven't made many rallycrosses in past few years, one or two a year. We will have at least one person at each CORX event in the coming future. Same with autocross, Chump/WRL endurance races, NASA events, etc.

Feel free to give my contact info and/or website to any Colorado people contacting you. smiling smiley

Grant Hughes
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 11, 2014 05:53PM
It's tough to prioritize how to get the word out.
Grassroots Motorsports ad
Rally America rulebook ad
Forum sponsorship, specialstage, dirtyimpreza, 318ti.org, bimmerforums, bmwrallying, nasioc, awdpirates.net, and more and more and more.
Facebook ad campaigns
Adwords campaign
All cost money and take quite a bit of effort. Right now we have a mild cash flow issue in that all our cash is tied up in inventory so we're going with slow growth. We have one customer rally car build that I just pulled into the shop today and one shop rally rental car to build and Merkur and Acura personal rally cars to finish building/rebuilding and a little reprep to the Chumpcar. Add Idaho, Utah, two hill climbs, Ojibwe, two Chumpcar events, one WRL event, and a handful of rallycrosses and the rest of year is crazy! Oh yeah, not to forget regular employment, wife's medical testing lab, two year old daughter and another due in September!

Grant Hughes
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

June 11, 2014 11:38PM
I'll tell you what worked for us:

GRM, the ad is a waste of money. But, being part of the GRM family helped us make some business alliances. We currently do not have ads in GRM.

Forums, worth it IF, and only if you are going to post tech and help people with their issues. If you are just there to sling parts, it's not worth it. Also, don't spread yourself too thin on forums. Choose which one or two you support and do it.

Facebook sort of sucks for businesses. If you are going to post stuff as a business, know that you will then have to share it from your personal account to get any real views. Facebook has been good for events, but not day to day interest.

Adwords are a waste for service industry. Might be worth it if you are a big box retailer.

The number one thing that gets us customers is to compete in our own cars, and to support other competitors at the races. Numero uno!

NoCoast
It's tough to prioritize how to get the word out.
Grassroots Motorsports ad
Rally America rulebook ad
Forum sponsorship, specialstage, dirtyimpreza, 318ti.org, bimmerforums, bmwrallying, nasioc, awdpirates.net, and more and more and more.
Facebook ad campaigns
Adwords campaign
All cost money and take quite a bit of effort. Right now we have a mild cash flow issue in that all our cash is tied up in inventory so we're going with slow growth. We have one customer rally car build that I just pulled into the shop today and one shop rally rental car to build and Merkur and Acura personal rally cars to finish building/rebuilding and a little reprep to the Chumpcar. Add Idaho, Utah, two hill climbs, Ojibwe, two Chumpcar events, one WRL event, and a handful of rallycrosses and the rest of year is crazy! Oh yeah, not to forget regular employment, wife's medical testing lab, two year old daughter and another due in September!

Jason McDaniel
si
John Farnsworth
Godlike Moderator

si
June 12, 2014 08:56AM
Is there really enough consistent volume in rally anything to maintain inventory? As someone new and building for the first time, my frustration is just more even finding a shop who can source and get me the parts eventually. I don't even look for in stock, just wouldn't expect stuff to ever be stocked. I would really appreciate a place that just has good supply lines though, even if it takes a long but predictable amount of time.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 12, 2014 10:04AM
si
Is there really enough consistent volume in rally anything to maintain inventory? As someone new and building for the first time, my frustration is just more even finding a shop who can source and get me the parts eventually. I don't even look for in stock, just wouldn't expect stuff to ever be stocked. I would really appreciate a place that just has good supply lines though, even if it takes a long but predictable amount of time.

Convenience is everything. You decide you want something, everybody expects to click a few clicks and be done with the arduous job of shopping. It's a Constitutional Right!...so inventory to you sink, man..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
si
John Farnsworth
Godlike Moderator

si
June 12, 2014 10:17AM
john vanlandingham
Convenience is everything. You decide you want something, everybody expects to click a few clicks and be done with the arduous job of shopping. It's a Constitutional Right!...so inventory to you sink, man..

Well, I like the ability to click a few things and be done with shopping - but it's not so bad if I do that and it says "We get these from Europe in small quantities, after receiving your order it will take 15-20 days to get the items to you."

To me that's a better option than having what I seem to see more often here in the US - which is a really poor selection of 2-3 items that I don't actually want anyhow.
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

June 12, 2014 11:24PM
called the shop left message. 541-701-7983
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 13, 2014 08:27AM
Hey Aj! Got your message last night. Out in Baltimore til tomorrow. Will call back this evening.

Grant Hughes
sidewaez
Blake Lind
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
orange AE86

June 13, 2014 10:36AM
I referred a guy to you to get some lights installed.
irishfire
Alex Dahlman
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Rabbit 16V

June 15, 2014 02:38AM
I just moved from Idaho to the Denver area. I will be seeing you guys Monday...if the shop is open that is!
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 15, 2014 09:16AM
Monday we're closed. Tuesday evenings are good nights! Few others usually come over.

Grant Hughes
irishfire
Alex Dahlman
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Rabbit 16V

June 15, 2014 12:21PM
Perfect. What time Tuesday evening?
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 15, 2014 01:57PM
I'm there around 3. Most others not til 7ish.

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login