Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Arrgghhh lack of motivation

Posted by buerckner 
buerckner
Andrew Buerckner
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Daihatsu Charade GTti DOHC Turbo, and Mazda MX-5(miata) Turbo(bent)

Arrgghhh lack of motivation
September 17, 2014 06:39PM
I've got until the 18th oct to prep the Charade GTti rallycar for it's next event.

1st one in about three years for this car and it's been sitting since it finished the last event.

Heaps of jobs to do, mostly lots of small stuff, but it does need a dynotune, new radiator and intercooler, wire in boost controller, clutch switch, finish fuel lines, water tank and IC spray.

It seems ever time I get a little progress done something else delays it. eg yestersday at lunch I pulled out some brakelines that needed bulkhead unions put in to need current regs. Local brake place(in in the trade) will take about 3 days to make 1 line and flare another 3.

Throttle cable is stuffed... Rare NLA new genuine, raid the wreaking yards for something similar.. nope... try online community... nothing in Australia. So had to send the sample to be custom made. Hopefully only a day or two... if it doesn't get lost.

Seized toe adjuster on the rear..... 2-3 weeks ex japan for new ones, Lucky we have a spare car to steal one off, but that means crawling under the car in the grass with all our deadly wildlife wanting a piece of me.

Had to redrill the rims to clear our rear spacers.... 10 strip and fits on rally tyres, plus about 10min per wheel on the drill press, paint check straight etc.

And the fuel tank has started to leak, after 20 years as a rallycar and 3 or 4 shells, that's not too bad. But..... I need to make 1 tank out of 2. There wasn't ever a 3 door EFI Charade sold here, so I need to get a 5 door EFI tank and move the filler or a 3 door carby model and put a fuel pump mount in the top. Then lay up a new fibreglass and kevlar skid guard.

ARGHHHHHSSS I'm so whingey sad smiley

There you go that's my cool story.

Sooooooo, what helps you guys get motivated, or MOTORvated as our team tends to call it.
Currently I can only manage about an hour or so afterwork before I just go.... fuck it and head home.
I've even spoilt by access to a full workshop hoist, wheel aligners, full tools, etc. I even get to work on it during work hours if it's quiet.

If you want more, just wind me up about maybe adding some more barwork to the cage and rewiring the whole car including new dash etc etc.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

Re: Arrgghhh lack of motivation
September 17, 2014 06:44PM
seems like too much work. just drink beer instead. smiling smiley
buerckner
Andrew Buerckner
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

September 17, 2014 07:21PM
I'm trying to find the beer drinking sweetspot, enough to want to work, but not sooo much that the work is sloppy or I have to get a cab ride home.

Did I forget to mention, it's not even my car(I can use it whenever I want) and the bastard owner just finished the navigating in the WRC at Coffs Harbour and now is in Western Australia for the Australian OffRoad Championship in a pretty wild Chev powered D-max truck.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 17, 2014 07:53PM
buerckner
I'm trying to find the beer drinking sweetspot, enough to want to work, but not sooo much that the work is sloppy or I have to get a cab ride home.

Did I forget to mention, it's not even my car(I can use it whenever I want) and the bastard owner just finished the navigating in the WRC at Coffs Harbour and now is in Western Australia for the Australian OffRoad Championship in a pretty wild Chev powered D-max truck.

Ah that bastid. That's Raybak you're spikkin of, eh?
Just how much fun can one guy have anyway?
They did pretty good it seems..Got a link to the national series results? All I saw was the Dubya Arsey times..
(bloody thin entry what was it 27 cars? How many in the National? You guys have to have a restrictor in the mighty Charade?)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
buerckner
Andrew Buerckner
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

September 17, 2014 09:09PM
john vanlandingham
Ah that bastid. That's Raybak you're spikkin of, eh?
Just how much fun can one guy have anyway?
They did pretty good it seems..Got a link to the national series results? All I saw was the Dubya Arsey times..
(bloody thin entry what was it 27 cars? How many in the National? You guys have to have a restrictor in the mighty Charade?)

Yep Mr Raybak, and he's really enjoying life
Between tarmac and gravel rallying, Off road racing and flying all over the world with Mahindra Formula E team there isn't many weekends at home.
Also he seems to have a harem of other navigators and rally groupies to keep warm with after the events! smiling smiley

http://www.rallyresults.com.au/arc/2014/ra/
There's all the results, they were running national 4WD
Gerald and Ray were 3rd, but way off the pace after some minor mechanical maladies.

We do require a restrictor, but only because we have changed from the original homologated turbo to one that's more realistically sized and much more common(same as we run on the MX5 turbo). IIRC the restrictor is larger than the compressor wheel inducer diameter.
If using factory turbo 2WD cars don't need a restrictor.

But on a plus, since having a rant my toe adjusters arrived, and the brake lines are ready to be picked up from the brakeshop.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

September 17, 2014 09:34PM
I WANNA SEE MORE 3 CYLINDER ACTION!!!!!

that help?
heymagic
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 17, 2014 10:00PM
I feel for ya, I've noticed the last few years the after hours war is being won by La-Z-Boy...poor boat has been sitting all year unloved and I stupidly have a rally car being slowly shipped my way. Idiot I am.
buerckner
Andrew Buerckner
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

September 17, 2014 11:11PM
Mad Matt F
I WANNA SEE MORE 3 CYLINDER ACTION!!!!!

that help?

Yeah strangely enough it does!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

September 18, 2014 11:41AM
heymagic
I stupidly have a rally car being slowly shipped my way.

Where's that 'like' button?
smileys with beer

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 18, 2014 07:01PM
We signed up for a 12 hour endurance track race only to have heater valve fail 30 minutes in. Head gasket is definitely gone and we spent like 8 hours trying to get it back on the track only to overheat within minutes.
Now to find a cheap engine or try to rebuild this one that's overheated like 10 times now.

Grant Hughes
buerckner
Andrew Buerckner
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

September 23, 2014 12:06AM
I got the car running a drivable to take to the panel shop to straighten out the RHF from where I put it ino a bank many many moons ago.

The drive there helped with the motivation, it was good to be reminded how much fun this car can be.

But it was hard to see where I was going with all the ladies, overcome by the sheer sound of the 3 cylinders of fury, throwing their underwear at the car as I drove by. grinning smiley
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 23, 2014 12:16AM
buerckner
I got the car running a drivable to take to the panel shop to straighten out the RHF from where I put it ino a bank many many moons ago.

The drive there helped with the motivation, it was good to be reminded how much fun this car can be.

But it was hard to see where I was going with all the ladies, overcome by the sheer sound of the 3 cylinders of fury, throwing their underwear at the car as I drove by. grinning smiley

You really call it "under-wear" down there? Not some quaint pseudo-pomie-ism like knickers, frillies,
from what I've seen from piccies of beaches, there must've been hundreds cause they seem to wear just 3-4 strands of yarn on the beach, so must be something similar as undies..
Also isn't that kinda objectifying you? You could have them all up on harassment charges. Where's Uncle Bob when ya need 'em?...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
buerckner
Andrew Buerckner
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

September 23, 2014 03:40AM
Nah normally call them knickers but was trying to be understood on this international forum.

And at least being an object is better than being a tool which is the normal state of affairs!
buerckner
Andrew Buerckner
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

September 30, 2014 11:23PM
Car is all ok now, heading to the dyno this afternoon for a few hours tuning.

Can't wait to see how it goes and give it a good flogging once I'm happy it's not going to rattle itself to death.
Clayto
Clayton McCrary
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
XRatty purchased. Now build it!!

October 01, 2014 12:28AM
heymagic
I feel for ya, I've noticed the last few years the after hours war is being won by La-Z-Boy...poor boat has been sitting all year unloved and I stupidly have a rally car being slowly shipped my way. Idiot I am.

Sweet!!! Whatcha gettin??drinking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login