Vista

Posted by hudson 
hudson
Andrew McNally
Mod Moderator

Vista
July 23, 2008 09:50PM
Ok..

So Vista is actually really really really terrible.

I thought I would give it the benefit of the doubt (ok I was forced as I couldn't buy this computer with anything else), that being said I will be formatting my new computer after PAYING BILL AGAIN to buy XP and put on a less than perfect operating system, but one I can handle tomorrow.

I guess all I want to say is that the rumour are true.

Andrew M
Onterrible
30ish
Please Login or Register to post a reply
danh
Dan Hammerling
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Soon Very Soon - 95 Civic In Process

Re: Vista
July 23, 2008 11:05PM
That is nice of you to pay Bill again. I heard that he is starving and his wife was considering leaving him. (But, half of nothing is still nothing) smiling smiley

/posted from OS X -- Keeping Steve out of the poor house tongue sticking out smiley
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

July 23, 2008 11:07PM
That's why Kara and I were looking at Macs online a few minutes ago. But damn, they're pricey.

Can you even buy XP now? I thought they were shutting off the tap on that to force everybody into the Oldsmobile Diesel of operating systems.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 23, 2008 11:16PM
Ford the non-drenched -in-fuckin-compurter-arcana sorts around here what the fuck are you guys prattling on about?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

July 23, 2008 11:35PM
Those folks over in Redmond who are bazillionaires for making computer software for us to go clicky-clacky on the internet and do other things with computers released this operating system called Vista a while back to replace Windows XP. Everybody says Vista is total garbage.

From what I've heard, the best way to get Vista to run reliably is to uninstall it and put in XP. Microsoft's response is to phase out support for XP.

Or buy an Apple Macintosh computer. Unfortunately, Macs seem to cost about as much as having Vermont Sportscar install a roll cage.

Does that explain it?

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
hudson
Andrew McNally
Mod Moderator

July 24, 2008 07:11AM
fiasco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those folks over in Redmond who are bazillionaires
> for making computer software for us to go
> clicky-clacky on the internet and do other things
> with computers released this operating system
> called Vista a while back to replace Windows XP.
> Everybody says Vista is total garbage.
>
> From what I've heard, the best way to get Vista to
> run reliably is to uninstall it and put in XP.
> Microsoft's response is to phase out support for
> XP.
>
> Or buy an Apple Macintosh computer. Unfortunately,
> Macs seem to cost about as much as having Vermont
> Sportscar install a roll cage.
>
> Does that explain it?

Andrew, that's pretty much it man.

Vista is so bad, you can't plug something into the line in and expect something to come out of the line out. For "stability" all sound is handled via software so you have to have the right drivers & programs to handle any and all inputs and outputs.. So you can plug something into the line in and record it with a recording program.. but you can't easily get the sound to come out of the speakers. If you DO it likely has a delay!

Like that's pretty fucking basic stuff here.

It sure does look pretty though!

Also I've been told that if Vista doesn't detect an "anti piracy" chip/routine while playing video, it downgrades the quality!

All these new "features" and it only needs what 1 gig of ram to sit at idle?

As for buying XP you can still get it at some places, but they told me MS is trying hard to turn off the tap. If you buy a prebuilt machine now you're almost guaranteed to have Vista on it. That's something else that ticks me off. Why is it so difficult for MS to let people PURCHASE XP. Is their pride hurt? Does MS know what's better for me?

I'd run Linux if I wanted to be a nerd and time was no object.

I'd buy a Mac if I wanted to be a hipster and money was no object winking smiley

Talk about being between a rock and a hard place!

Andrew M
Onterrible
30ish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2008 07:19AM by hudson.
Francois
Francois Poirier
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Open class Laser RS (RIP), 242 GT on the way!

July 24, 2008 07:58AM
You don't need to pay again for XP if you still have the CD (or if you don't that can be fixed too).

You just need to call Microsoft, talk to someone there and ask the right to downgrade from Vista to XP. Find a reason like "software x is not working anymore and I need it".

They should then give you a valid XP key to install it instead of Vista.

I did it twice so far. Sometimes they will not want to do it but if you tell them it's in the license (and the downgrade right is) they will.

Francois
derek
Derek Bottles
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

July 24, 2008 11:57PM
SO I bought this MAC laptop about 4 years ago. PC laptops typically last me 1 to two years this one is now well over twice that age and doing fine.

Sure it is not perfect and windows does something a lot better but over all I see the value in this thing even if it cost more.

In the long run reality always wins.
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

July 25, 2008 09:28AM
The laptop I've been using since April, which completely replaced my old desktop computer, came with Vista. I have 2gig of RAM on this thing and, like was said above, just having the computer ON used HALF of that.

To give an idea, my old computer, a 5-yr old Compaq, ran all kinds of shit on XP. I was using Photoshop and Dreamweaver and building websites from scratch while I listened to streaming music with just 1/4 of the memory.

Laptop has had Ubuntu on it since April. I'm a convert now.

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
heymagic
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

July 25, 2008 10:26AM
I went shopping about 6 months ago for a new laptop. Found that Dell still sells XP on their Vostro line. Vostro is the small business 'puters. I bought one from the refurb dept. They have scratch and dent, warranty returns and some returned for no real reason. Anyhow they still have new products available with XP as well as refurbs. Vostro also does not have all the preloaded tiral software the regular consumer stuff does..even better.

Have had no issues with mine , but I'm a dinosaur and use it mostly for this BS....

Gene
Jon Burke
Jon Burke
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru w/<1000 crashes

July 26, 2008 07:44PM
I got this dell 1720 last fall from dell outlet. had the 'upgraded' MS vista 'home premium' on it. The Dell sales person said it was necessary if you're going to be running/editing vids, editing photos, etc.

can't say I have any complaints, but I don't do any hardcore computing on it or anything. I got this particular laptop cause of the 17" screen.

plays DVD's just fine, it runs adobe premier 1.5 just fine, and I recently discovered Richard Burns Rally which is pretty fun.

no complaints, but again, my computing needs are minimal, except when I editing video's I guess.

Jon Burke - KI6LSW
Blog: http://psgrallywrx.blogspot.com/
SgtRauksauff
Jorden
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
whichever one i happen to be driving at the time

August 11, 2008 12:46PM
I got my dell xps1210 laptop (12.1" screen, nice and small and easily portable) a year ago with XP, just to familiarize myself with it more. It was about as annoying as the changeover from win2k to winXP was, but otherwise it's not too bad. The second day I owned it, I wiped the system completely, and dual-boot vista and linux (Ubuntu this time around).

My favorite part of Vista is the built-in Mahjong game. Nice-looking tilesets. Lots of people say that they've got some serious issues with RAM use in vista, but I think a large part of it in laptops is the videocards using shared memory. One of the requirements for my laptop was NON-shared video memory. Even with only 1GB RAM, it ran fine. Then I upgraded to 4. Much nicer, but the chipset itself can only handle 3.85, boo hoo.

the mac laptops have 2 things which I think are nice. the magnetic power connector, and the gyroscope/accelerometer thing to park the hard drive heads if the computer's dropped.

--sarge

---** To be in compliance with the Anarchy **---
Jorden R. Kleier
Baraboo, Wisconsin, USA
1990 Mazdog Protege 4WD
hudson
Andrew McNally
Mod Moderator

August 11, 2008 05:13PM
SgtRauksauff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> the mac laptops have 2 things which I think are
> nice. the magnetic power connector, and the
> gyroscope/accelerometer thing to park the hard
> drive heads if the computer's dropped.

Now someone is thinking! How many times have hard drives been destroyed from a small drop!

Andrew M
Onterrible
30ish
david amor
david amor
Infallible Moderator

August 11, 2008 10:09PM
I dropped my old lap top awhile back and got this POS which came with Vista. I hadn't heard anything about Vista then and thought GREAT! a new, must be better, operating system. IT SUCKS. I guess I don't have enough juice for it to run properly so it's painfully slow and worst of all I can't control my engine management on the rally car with it cause it only recognizes XP. I always thought those Apple people were a bit strange but maybe they're on to something. smiling smiley

Gone fishing
SgtRauksauff
Jorden
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
whichever one i happen to be driving at the time

August 13, 2008 11:49AM
you should be able to call up microsoft and ask for an XP key instead. tell them that you have software which requires xp. As far as I know,an XP license is implied with the purchase of vista, so it's no charge to you other than the time on the phone, and the time for the reinstall afterwards. At least, this is what my friends who've done this exact thing have told me.

What sort of engine management do you run? Vista has the 'compatibility mode' for it to work with older versions of windows, just right-click on the actual .exe file of the program, go to the compatibility tab, and choose xp.

RAM is actually pretty cheap right now too, so you might want to try to upgrade to as much as your hardware will support.

--sarge

---** To be in compliance with the Anarchy **---
Jorden R. Kleier
Baraboo, Wisconsin, USA
1990 Mazdog Protege 4WD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login