Posted by phlat65 
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

Quick intro
February 12, 2009 11:31PM
Hey all, I know a few people here from the Merkur circles, this looks to be a good place to be, as I am starting a Rally car build. I have wanted a rally car since I was 12, and figured it is not going to build itself, so better get cracking before I get too old. I was pretty heavy into Motorcycle Enduros until the kids were born, now the car stuff has taken over.

The goal is to build the car for Drifting and rallycross this year, more stuff next year, then go stage rallying in 3 to 4 years. The cage will be started next week, and is being constructed to Rally specs from the get go. Other stuff like suspension and such will come in time. Going to keep the power pretty light, and not really worry too much about being the fast guy, just out to have some fun.

Personally, i am into most things mechanical, I fix cars for a living, and enjoy goofing with them in my sparetime. I have a 1985 XR4Ti that is my primary driver/Drift/Autocross car that has been pretty extensively modified. I have a 1976 Volvo 245 with a Ford 2.3 out of a turbo coupe, backed with a 4spd auto, that I built for my wife's daily driver, nice patina on the original Shenandoah green, with a white roof, lowered on 16 inch Mile Miglia's. A corvair, that is the wifes summer daily, and a few old motorcycles.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Rich Smith
Rich Smith
Ultra Moderator

Re: Quick intro
February 13, 2009 11:04AM
Sean,

Nice group of projects you have there.
Good to see you on board!

Rich Smith

PS: The 1960 Corvair I drove from '65-'68 was a reliable and fun car. No matter what Ralph Nader wrote (grin). It was the '63 VW we rolled!
heymagic
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

February 13, 2009 09:17PM
Welcome to the group ! You'll soon find out to only believe Rich or myself, some of these other guys are really multiple personalities of a guy in a mental hospital.

What year Corvair?

Gene
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

February 13, 2009 09:43PM
Thanks, I am very familiar with John V. been to his place a few times, bought some goodies.

The Corvair is a 65, I modified and installed the sliding rag top from a 63 Beetle. Looks Factory. Thats the kind of stuff I like to do.
alkun
Albert Kun
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

February 16, 2009 10:50AM
I will try to grab some pics of my buddy's old fiberglass buggy with the corvair engine in it.
DJackson
Dawud Jackson
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Watching from the sidelines

February 22, 2009 09:13PM
Hey Sean good to see you over here.

Name: Dawud Jackson (DJ)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login