Off Topic
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

When not wrenching on your car, posting here, etc... how do you like to spend time ?

Posted by Morten2 
Morten2
Morten
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt

What a weekend !

What started off as a weekend of potential yard work, qickly morphed into a GREAT weekend. Leaving the garden impliments behind my girlfriend, I went 4X4'ing.

There's a rustic hot Spring in the mountains about 300KM from Vancouver, called Sloquat Hotsprings. 100% non commercial and wilderness built into terracing pools by rock / tarp dams. It's a pretty amazing spot with a small river that rushes right past the pools (great for cooling off in) and in a beautiful mountaneous forest setting.

Setting off on West Harrison Road from Harrison Mills we proceeded on the forest access road (originally made by the forestry companies) in her 2.4L (4G64) 5 speed Jeep Liberty. I've never cared much for the liberty, but since we got this one for $5800 CAD it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Determined to keep it in RWD for as long as possible so I could drift the turns and remenice (sp?) about racing the Colt - off we went. Making great time and feeling like a champion of the forest and comfortable that I wouldn't see any headlights in my rearview... When suddenly came 1 headlight, then 2, 3, 4... WTF ???

I pulled over and a shit load of quads passed me, and some "side by side" ones too. Driving behind them and seeing the gradually pull away from me, fully drifting all the turns, made my adventure in the Liberty about as exciting as a limp dick. Envious I let off on the throttle and decided to enjoy the serenity of nature (much to me deflated and defeated ego) lol.

The hot springs were great (always are), but made for a long day by the time we saw the lights of the city upon returning.

Naturally on Sunday morning I had to read reviews on the internet on 4x4 quads (my friend has a 2WD Honda 450 that's piped, cammed, and carbed which is fun a blast to ride). After a little research I "accidentaly" stumbled onto the website of my local powersports dealer.

The were having DUCATI DEMO DAYS - WOW !

So I grabbed my motorcycle gear, hopped on my BMW X-Country and headed off to the dealership. Once there, having signed my life away on a rather long liability discalimer and paying $10 (to be donated to the muscular dystrophy association), I was ready.

The 1198 S (170 HP) was completely booked for the day (too bad), there wasn't a 1098 (180 HP) (too bad again).

They were taking prople on group rides with a poit rider and a sweep. The ride was 25 minutes long and included 2 sections of freeway, some rural roads, a few fun high speed turns. It was definately a spirited test ride, hitting speeds of 140 - 160 KM/H in short spurts.

I demo'd 4 Ducati's

GT 1000
696 Monster
Hypermotard

The GT 1000 looks like a retro from the 70's with dual rear spring suspension but rides beautifully, and was fun. (I was surprised, pleasantly)

All Ducati's had braided lines and Brembo brakes and were V-Twins.

The Monster was fun, but I found the mirrors to be useless.

The 848 with (135 HP) was a blast and quite fittingly classified as a "Superbike". Great power through the grears (didn't get past 3rd), perfectly balanced through high speed corners. What a joy to ride.

Lastly the Hypermotard with 1100cc - What a Total BLAST ! This is a FUN bike !!! The riding position was upright, aggressive, and well balanced. On hard acceleration @ 120 KM/h the front end lifts easily, and if you're not careful it will keep lifting...

My favorite hands down was the Hypermotard !!!

Jumping back on my BMW... it sounded and felt like a sewing machine in comparison.

What a great weekend !

Please Login or Register to post a reply
Attachments:
open | download - hypermotard-ddg08.gif (174.5 KB)
hypermotard-ddg08.gif
slidewaysrally
Kevin Aartsen
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Integra

Those are beautiful hotsprings. Have you been up the East side of the lake to Clear Creek. They are very nice as well and not quite as far.

My dream bike is the Hypermotard. Here is a photo of my bike that is just about finished. Sprockets and chain should be here in a few days.
Attachments:
open | download - cb 002.JPG (95.9 KB)
cb 002.JPG
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt, under construction

Since I'm a wimp and hardly ever wrench on my car (although that may have more to do with my living in an apartment and not having a garage than truly being a wimp) I spend a lot of time reading.

But, this Saturday I supervised the moving of a car from one location to another and then on Sunday I borrowed my brother's 91 Sentra SER and did a little autocrossing.
Morten2
Morten
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt

Hi Kevin,

No I've never been up the East side of Harrison Lake to Clear Creek. How far from Harrison is it ?

What year is your Honda ?

I've never riden a "cafe racer", but your bike looks pretty cool !

The tank looks enormous, what's it's capacity ?
slidewaysrally
Kevin Aartsen
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Integra

Id say it is about an hour and fifteen. They are pretty sweet and are basically just old wooden hot tubs with the springs running into them. Every time I have been there it was completely empty and no one around. Good for just you and the old lady. Bow chicka wow wow....... I have been up there on dirt bikes quite a few times and also in an old landcruiser.

My Honda is a 77 CB550. The tank is Huge.... I cut it in half and added about 7" into the middle. I was going more for the look rather then capacity although I can probably make it half way across Canada now. haha.. I am waiting on some tank sealer and it should be good to go. It was a pain in the ass welding it back together. I dont think Honda could use thinner metal for there tanks.
Racinkid13
Max
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 MKI GTI

Morten2
Morten
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt

Funny... I thought 4x4'ing was synonymous with beer drinking, and I don't see that in any of your links -> Poser ! (smile)

How do you like your taco ?

I used to have an 02 TRD double cab. It sucked because the double cab was only available in Auto, but the push button electronic locking diff was nice.

The 3.4L with only 190 HP sure was thirsty, and kind of gutless with the auto.

Still I miss it and enjoyed it more than my current Speed3 !
Racinkid13
Max
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 MKI GTI

Morten2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Funny... I thought 4x4'ing was synonymous with
> beer drinking, and I don't see that in any of your
> links -> Poser ! (smile)
>
> How do you like your taco ?
>
> I used to have an 02 TRD double cab. It sucked
> because the double cab was only available in Auto,
> but the push button electronic locking diff was
> nice.
>
> The 3.4L with only 190 HP sure was thirsty, and
> kind of gutless with the auto.
>
> Still I miss it and enjoyed it more than my
> current Speed3 !

Im part of a national orginization, TTORA. We are a non-alcoholic club. Ive wheeled with people that drink and wheel, I just cant see doin the wheelin we do while drinkin.

I love my taco. That 3.4 is real nice. Auto isnt bad, I kinda prefer it when wheelin. tho i have some exhaust work and intake modding. the taco is now a trail toy. 33x13.5 Open country Mt, 4.88 gears, armor rear sides and under.
Morten2
Morten
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt

My taco was bone stock except for the Pirelli Scorpions I put on it after the stock tires kept get punctured.

It was pretty incredible off road !

Have you found noticable increase in power with the exhaust and intake work or is in negligable ?
Racinkid13
Max
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 MKI GTI

Morten2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My taco was bone stock except for the Pirelli
> Scorpions I put on it after the stock tires kept
> get punctured.
>
> It was pretty incredible off road !
>
> Have you found noticable increase in power with
> the exhaust and intake work or is in negligable ?

noticed it in throttle response and torque really.
Morten2
Morten
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt

Not that exciting of a Friday...

BUT got the yard ready for some late night summer bonfires by making this fire pit. I've always enjoyed sitting around a bonfire listening to someone playing an acoustic guitar.

Probably has something to do with growing up in Denamrk and going to the mid-summer Sankt Hans celebrations where bonfires on the beaches burn from the eve of June 23 to the early morning of June 24 with people congregating and playing music. A celebration that is more than 500 years old.

Attachments:
open | download - Today 004.jpg (137.6 KB)
Today 004.jpg
DirkaDirkaJack
Jack Russell
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
phil's GTI

ah dude, i am like soooo close to picking up a 848. if i wasn't spending all this damn money on rally i would already have one. maybe i will have to back off on the rally spending and pick one up....
Morten2
Morten
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt

Jack I know what you mean.

Since the test ride when I really enjoyed the Hypermotard, I've been thinking alot about the 848.

I'm not a fan of white cars or bikes but the Ducati Pearl white one that I test rode was beautiful. I was such a sexy motorcycle and a dream to ride.

The torque of the V Twin with the acceleration and top end of an inline 4 all in 1.

I'm definately going back to the dealership to ride it again, and this time... not with a group and definately for more than a 25 minute test ride !!!

We have 3 ski hills in Vancouver within 30 minutes of Downtown Vancouver, 2 of them have roads to the mountain and the third has a gondola up. The other two have wide roads, big hairpin turns, straights, with a decent vertical... great summer motorcycle riding. That's where I'm going on my next 848 test ride.
DirkaDirkaJack
Jack Russell
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
phil's GTI

yeah that road up Seymour Mtn. is pretty rad used to drive it all the time when i mountain biked up there.

i think the 848 in white is just awesome, the color looks so good in person...never ridden one myself, just sat on one at MotoGP last year. i will have one eventually for sure...just after i spend all these cubic dollars on the Mazduh....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login