JB Marti
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1985 Trabant

JB
BMW525i versus VWGOLF
April 09, 2006 02:55PM
ok, i've been looking for some time now, here's the dilema:

found a 1990 BMW 525i with 199Kmi, stick shift, MD inspected (tough inspection), needs a paint job (i can do that at my work), the whole thing for $2850.

also found a VW Golf, 4dr, 97Kmi, stick shift of course, NOT MD inspected and would need about $400 worth of work to pass, the thing for $2900.

the bimmer can be had for less with some cashmoneyhoney, the vw, there are a bunch of peeps looking at it. both the owners seem to be real straightshooters and nice blokes. the bimmer owner has a kid on the way and his wife (a canadian beauty) cant drive stick so they bought 2 new automatic cars. the vw owner is a young guy who has all the maintenance records and all that typical "i dont want to screw people over so i'll tell them too much" attitude. it's the first time he is selling a car.

what would you pick?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: BMW525i versus VWGOLF
April 09, 2006 04:57PM
JB, pick for what? a daily driver?

VW.

Cost of running it?
VW

All weather cababilty?
VW

Penis extension?
BMW.

Value for dollar spent?
VW

But I would never think of paying 2900 bucks for a car.

Out here where there is no salt I find $ZERO to 800 buck rust free Xratties with 125,00 miles.

And those are more fun than either the VW or the BMW and waaayaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper for parts.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
JB
JB Marti
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1985 Trabant

JB
April 09, 2006 08:09PM
yep, it would be for a daily. i am leaning (sp?) towards the veedub more cause of the way it rides. it's lighter, and quicker, but not more powerful. the thing is i worry that i would take the bimmer cause i got a buddy who has one and gots no problems with it. never has. it's an 89 with over 200Kmi. plus it's already inspected, which means an hour spent at the mva gets me on the road. if it was a 3 series i dont think i would have a dilema though, speaking of which i just got a call about a 92 325i..... maybe that will do. what about a 325 john?

by the way, thanks for your help, you're the man!
Parry
Dave Maxwell
Godlike Moderator

April 09, 2006 10:37PM
Honda, Toyota.

Accord, Civic, Camry, Corolla.

Buy something that will cost you NOTHING other then routine maintnence, so you can spend your money having fun.

Otherwise, buy the golf if you must choose between those 2.
Pete
Pete Remner
Ultra Moderator

April 10, 2006 01:15AM
For a daily driver, I'd sit my old ass in the BMW over the VW. They are both German cars so they will both be electrical nightmares, plus the BMW is cheaper once you get the all-important license plates. My customers with E34-chassis Bimmers never seem to have to spend much money on their cars. (A BIG deciding factor is to ask if the timing belt and most importantly the water pump have been replaced, and if they were replaced with actual BMW parts. For some reason the water pumps are *finicky* and they give trouble if you buy generics)

I usedta think the old 2.5s were slow as hell, too. The trick is there is a huuuuge dead spot in the torque curve, unfortunately right where most cruising is done. Rev the wotsis off of it and it (over 4500 anyway) and it should wake right up. But if you prefer the VW, hell, it's *your* money and *your* butt in the seat...

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Scott Manley
Scott Manley
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4Ti

April 10, 2006 01:22PM
Camry= dent magnet. People you don't know, and will never know will be lining up to run into it.

Scott Manley
Spokane, WA
86' XR4Ti
JB
JB Marti
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1985 Trabant

JB
April 10, 2006 01:43PM
yeah, i know that the bimmer has had its water pump replaced at the dealership and the timing belt about 50Kmi ago. it's right about that time for the belt.

the golf has all the records, i mean all of them. it's the typical kid who wants to do good syndrome.

i would go for a honda or toyota but they are pretty rare here with stick shift and they go quickly or they're rust buckets. my brother has a 97 civic and both the rear fenders are so rusted that the bumper is borderline falling off. plus, i mean i like to drive, and i'm single, so i gotta pimp! and no one pimps a camry!
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

April 10, 2006 02:07PM
The only daily driver I'd consider having would be either a street version of the rally car, or a Subaru Impreza or Legacy. But then again, I live in Colorado, aka Subaru capital of the US, where under $1000 Imprezas occur kind of often.

Grant Hughes
Pete
Pete Remner
Ultra Moderator

April 10, 2006 07:31PM
plus, i
> mean i like to drive, and i'm single, so i gotta
> pimp! and no one pimps a camry!

Such a shame he's not onea them "online" types, or I'd introduce you to a local club member's friend and his 3S-GTE equipped Camry...

Apparently the manifold and such are a very close bolt-up to the stock 5S-FE head, as I've seen that done on a couple Celicas as well.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
JB
JB Marti
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1985 Trabant

JB
April 12, 2006 12:15PM
you guys have to realize that i was driving a black 6cyl nissan maxima where you couldnt hear the engine run when it was on. there was no wind noise. the bumps were virtually unfelt. and there was a sunroof for her to look at the stars when i was on top.

it's going to be tough adjusting to my new purchase....... the fucking golf! but at least it's small and cheap on gas. there is this place called EIP in Westminster MD where they have a turbo kit for that 2.0 engine. but i think i'd rather spend my money somewhere else. like out with chicks!
Parry
Dave Maxwell
Godlike Moderator

April 12, 2006 08:10PM
I would spend my money on probably anything other then a turbo 8v. Like putting a 16v head on the 8v block and boosting that winking smiley

I think it was a better buy then that BMW. At least you will get some gas milage out of it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login