Posted by NoCoast 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Long Way Round
August 14, 2006 09:45AM
Anyone seen this documentary? The basic idea is to ride motorcycles from London to NY the long way around. Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman do this on two BMW motorcycles. Talk about inspiration to travel. My old driver, Brian Moody, and his wife have sold off all of their stuff, rally cars, parts, furniture, etc. and bought a Nissan Pathfinder and Brian is modifying the truck to drive them around the world. They are going to start in Denver, drive all the way down south through S. America. Then boat trip to southern tip of Africa and up the western coast of Africa, trip through Dakar area and on some Dakar roads, up to Mediterranian, boat across to Europe (probably Spain or Portugal) and then across Europe, Russian, Mongolia, Siberia, up to Bering Strait, then over to Alaska and back down through Canada to Denver. They are planning for 15 months for the trip.
It should be pretty cool and exciting if they can pull it off.

Anyhow, if you haven't seen the show/movie, I suggest it. It's a good watch but may cause you to rethink this whole rally car crap we waste all our money on. For about a minute.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
MRWmotorsports
Martin Walter
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Nissan 240SX

Re: Long Way Round
August 17, 2006 12:25PM
Yeah, I saw that documentary.

Sounds like an awesome trip your friends have planned. I wish I'd done more crazy stuff like that before I had kids!

-Martin.
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

Re: Long Way Round
August 17, 2006 02:02PM
While it sounds like an advernture, for sure, I'd be sure to pack some heat just in case. An American in a nice SUV has "target" written all over it these days in much of the world.

Personally, I'd love to cash out and sail the world. Get a small group of friends together and go wherever the winds take you. You could be in Europe for WRC one year and Australia the next. See the world and live like Jimmy Buffett or whatever. tongue sticking out smiley

Too bad I like driving so much...

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login