Posted by WRCWRXSTI 
WRCWRXSTI
John Turner MacCallum
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 Mazda 323 GTX

makes me sick to my stomach
June 28, 2011 05:06PM
my grandma, who is one of the most amazing people i know, just called me today asking if i was back from san diego. apperantly, i was just in san diego, needed money, so i called my grandma and asked her to send me 4000 dollars over money gram. she said she had a feeling it might not be me, but sent the money anyway. i want to find out who it was and beat the shit out of them so badly, but literally all she has is a phone number... 8582777073. this whole thing is just fucked on so many levels.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

Re: makes me sick to my stomach
June 28, 2011 05:57PM
Nothing more to say than that sucks. Scammers who prey on the elderly should be dragged out into the street and run over repeatedly with a riding lawn mower, then doused in rubbing alcohol and tazed (spark!).

You and/or she should call the cops in San Diego, odds are slim they'll do anything, but maybe you'll get the world's stupidest scammer who really used a land line that can be traced successfully.
Brian Johnson
Brian Johnson
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Co-Driver - Old School Motorsports WRX

June 28, 2011 06:23PM
It is listed as a landline when google searched, though no nmae comes up in the basic searches. Definitely report it and see what turns up.

-Brian
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 28, 2011 06:44PM
At least you know your grandma is there for you if you need her.
Probably your homeboy from Mexico.
WRCWRXSTI
John Turner MacCallum
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 Mazda 323 GTX

June 28, 2011 06:46PM
thanks guys, ill definitely do that.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 28, 2011 10:25PM
NoCoast
At least you know your grandma is there for you if you need her.
Probably your homeboy from Mexico.

Hey weren't you just telling us all how you dug up all this info on some guy and his wife from seeing a coke can bottom in a craigslist ad or some feats of sleuthin"

Well?
Why haven't you got a name and a SSI number, address car reg etc from the whole number?

Come on Grant!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
singmehome27
Godlike Moderator

August 16, 2011 02:07AM
hey thanks for posting this. my grandpa got a call today from SD, too, from a guy pretending to be my brother and asked for $1800 to "bail him out of jail." seems like these guys have a thriving business scamming people. i think they are targeting the elderly, and getting info from facebook (my grandpa's is wide open). can't believe they haven't been caught yet, seeing how they're calling from the san diego public library. creeps me out because i am just a couple blocks away from where the call was made. anyway, i'm going to the police department tomorrow to bust these guys. thank god for google maps!! and block your facebooks! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2011 02:12AM by singmehome27.
noneya
Super Moderator

August 22, 2011 05:06PM
This just happened to my mother in Oregon.

She called me, worried about my son. The caller convinced her that he was my son. He said, "Hi grandma!", to which she replied, "Oh, is that you (and called him my son's name)?" He said, "Ya, it's me!" and told her that he was jail for a DUI. Then, "a lawyer" called her and wanted $1950.00 wired through Western Union, in two transactions, to some place in Quebec. Luckily, she figured out that it was a scam. She was given the same phone number: 858-277-7073.

While I was on the phone discussing this with my mom, the guy called her landline to confirm that the transaction was done. She told the guy, " I don't think you are who you say you are, I'm not going to send you any money, and I've reported you to the police." He promptly hung up.

She reported it to her local authorities, and hopefully they will catch these idiots before they succeed again.
frumby
Jason Hynd
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4TI a slow build!

August 23, 2011 03:43PM
It sucks that happened. Wouldn't it be nice if we lived in a place where trust was valued as an asset rather than a liability? I had someone hack my FB account a couple of years ago. Messaged a friend asking for a bunch of $$. They figured it was a scam and called me. Looks like these guys have fine tuned the scam a bit. Fking losers.
I got ripped off a few years ago buying a motor on line. Money out, no motor shipped. Ever. I was sent overseas and all leads dried up. These cretins are everywhere, trying to suck $$ out of everyone else so they can sit in their trailer watching HD tv and not having to work.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 23, 2011 04:21PM
It is a little odd that two of the three stories about this are from single posters with no rule following though isn't it?
What amazes me most is that they are able to convince the family members that they are their family members. At one point I tried to call a different family member each day. Didn't last too long, but I still try to talk to my parents every couple weeks at minimum. Reminds me, I was going to call and chat with one of my uncles one of these days... My parents would instantly recognize it was not me. Not too mention I'd hope they know that they are the LAST people I'd call when I was in any kind of trouble. Not that I put myself into troublesome situations. Too often.
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

August 23, 2011 04:27PM
BTW there is a new one here in Idaho, got a call myself at 4 this AM. A recording calls to tell you your wells fargo (my wifes bank) visa card has been deactivated for security purposes. Press one for more info.

guess what info they want next?
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 23, 2011 04:51PM
Too bad call forwarding is kinda a thing of the past. I wonder if you'd get in trouble for forwarding it to 911.
Jon Burke
Jon Burke
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru w/<1000 crashes

August 23, 2011 06:05PM
NoCoast
It is a little odd that two of the three stories about this are from single posters with no rule following though isn't it?

I was thinking the same thing.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 23, 2011 07:47PM
NoCoast

And the cutsie-name for one is noneya which we are informed by the webz is short for "none ya business".

And the other has two whole hits on the whole intra-webz, both here. One post and one getting quoted...

I smell a rat.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
fliz
Chad Eixenberger
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 VW Golf #687

August 24, 2011 09:39AM
A rat, or they entered the phone number into a search engine and were quickly directed to this thread.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login