Posted by Gravity Fed 
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

Good places to live?
October 29, 2011 09:16AM
Well the end of my ,military might be sooner than i thought, so im looking at places to go after. Job wise im all over the place, since its likely i wont be able to continue in air traffic due to medical reasons. So I suppose i would continue with school. I love colorado springs, but all my family and most of my friends are in Ohio and its a hell of a drive cross country. But Cleveland is a shit hole. Anyone in the Northeast areas have some places i should check out?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

Re: Good places to live?
October 29, 2011 09:51AM
Dunno bud, I had a really hard time leaving colorado. I lived in boulder and up in the breckenridge area and I miss it terribly. (breck not boulder)

Coeur d alene isn't bad, mountains, trees lakes, lots of summer sunshine, Decent skiing close by. Cost of living is reasonable.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

October 29, 2011 10:26AM
colorado is my fall back, plus i know some people and the area. We were thinking PA but nothing seems worthwhile...
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 29, 2011 11:53AM
Alex, Portland or Seattle. By and large decent people, above average literacy, less of whatever is ruining the country (religious maniacs, greedy parasites, right wing authoritarians, general idiots).
And there is the sound, the ocean..
Portland itself has grown a LOT and is all spread out and kinda corn-fusing, but "Natecher" is close by...
Seattle is OK---big enough but not too big. Good educational opportunities, good vibes..not TOOOOOOO expensive. Like Portland the obverall feeling is "mellow"....

Forget the whole NE Quarter, Great Lakes, South and South West. Too expensive, too crowded, "the establishment" is too established. Old money rules.
Can't remember if you're married. But If you hain't, let's just say I have had more than half dozen long term relationships with Portland area wimminz and 1 only EVAR of a Seattle woman (They're so used to the mellow thing that anything with a pulse scares 'em: "EEEeeeewwwwww you wanna put what where?!!!!"winking smiley

Let's talk.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 29, 2011 12:00PM
Denver, Portland or Seattle.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Ultra Moderator

October 29, 2011 02:48PM
Portland, Seattle, or Bellingham. Not necessarily in that order. Or Hood River. I love Hood River. If you could pump your own gas down there, I would move to Hood River.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

October 29, 2011 11:33PM
im not sure if the wife wants to be that far from our family. (her dad has some medical issues so we might have to travel a few times a year, which isnt cheap anymore). I personally loved Washington and Oregon (well oregon after it stops liking like Idaho's Valley). Well see what i can muster. Thankfully i have some tmie and i plan on bringing the wife to see the rest of the west.

Ive looked in PA all week, and nothing seems to appeal to me. Really only Vermont area did. Because it reminds of the West but i dont care to be settle for a version of what i want.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

October 30, 2011 08:37AM
whats the rallying potential? Thats another factor. I know colorado has a lot of alternative dirt racing forms (hillclimbs and CORE), but its far from any stage action...
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 30, 2011 11:19AM
Gravity Fed
im not sure if the wife wants to be that far from our family. (her dad has some medical issues so we might have to travel a few times a year, which isnt cheap anymore). I personally loved Washington and Oregon (well oregon after it stops liking like Idaho's Valley). Well see what i can muster. Thankfully i have some tmie and i plan on bringing the wife to see the rest of the west.

Ive looked in PA all week, and nothing seems to appeal to me. Really only Vermont area did. Because it reminds of the West but i dont care to be settle for a version of what i want.

Bear in mind that adjusted for cost of living, the rural parts of all the New England states are the poorest areas in the Nation.

Sure Mississippi and Lousy-anna are poorer, but the cost of living is less (no heat costs less than heat).
When I was out in fawkin Bawstin, I made numerous trips thru Nude Hampster, Vermont, Maine and took different routes. I picked up local papers, read. Either you have LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG commutes or you wallow in poverty. Long commutes like 2-4 hours one way.

Now being close to rally action in Ontario and Quebec would be a plus. Good events, friendly people, "interesting' roads.

But unless you have a gig nailed down for certain BEFORE you arrive, poverty...

There is solid reasons that people pour OUT of the NE down I-90 in a steady stream.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 30, 2011 11:22AM
Gravity Fed
whats the rallying potential? Thats another factor. I know colorado has a lot of alternative dirt racing forms (hillclimbs and CORE), but its far from any stage action...

Currently it is. We're hoping to revive some. Most current events are 750-1000 miles away. But CHCA has four or five events a year (in some ways I like these better than stage rallies) and CORE is open year round and annual memberships are like $200 or daily fee is like $20. There's also the Bridgestone Winter Driving School in Steamboat, staffed by the likes of Dave Kern, Mitch Williams, Chrissie Beavis and Matthew Johnson so lots of fun rally people!
Pete
Pete Remner
Godlike Moderator

October 30, 2011 04:41PM
I've been thinking of relocating to Seattle area myself, Alex. We'll see if things keeping me tied down here get untied in the next few years.

Relocating always worries me though because you never know what BS legal crap you are going to run into. I like $50/year car registration, I like the pro-gun atmosphere (and most of my friends have their concealed carry permits, too), I like being close to damn near everything. (50% of the US population is within 500mi of Columbus)

So I guess a good set of questions to ask is, what are the local laws and tax structures with regards to your life priorities? Being taxed out the ass for every little thing sucks, so does living where everything is hyperegulated and you need to file an water usage justification form in triplicate every time you have to flush the toilet or something.

I will say this, as a single guy: I saw more attractive girls in Missouri and Oklahoma in one long-ass weekend than I see in a month in Cleveland. Missouri also looks like it has no shortage of fun roads.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2011 04:55PM by Pete.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Ultra Moderator

October 30, 2011 05:02PM
On girls, I don't know WHAT is in the water, but there are some HOT girls down in Oregon. Seems more so than in Seattle? Or maybe I just haven't been the right places haha (sheltered eastside life sad smiley lol)
Carl S
Carl Seidel
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 honderp

October 30, 2011 08:03PM
I like the UP, michigan's upper peninsula. I've traveled to many other places, lived a few other places, but this is where I want to be. Things are simple and laid back here. Its a little bit bigger than Maryland with 19 times fewer people. Its not close to anything. There is space to play and the cost of living is low. A days tow from more rallies than most people can afford to do in a year. The hard part is finding a good job.

And you have to love snow.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

October 31, 2011 12:03AM
my concern is work really. Cant quite live without money. So as much as i would love to live in the middle of nowhere, i cant quite swing that

Im still seriously considering colorado again because i loved living there before. Im sure that hasnt changed for me.
MikeColangelo
Michael Colangelo
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Spec Miata

October 31, 2011 06:28PM
Pittsburgh. But only because America's Team, the Steelers, reside there. winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login