Posted by RallyTaco 
RallyTaco
Chris Lanctot
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
just a wannabe

Question for Admin.
November 12, 2011 08:16PM
Would it be possible to add this module to the forum/phorum software? No biggee if not but I thought I would ask. I have no idea if this is a pain in the ass or not so if it is never mind. Thanks.

link
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Question for Admin.
November 12, 2011 08:53PM
RallyTaco
Would it be possible to add this module to the forum/phorum software? No biggee if not but I thought I would ask. I have no idea if this is a pain in the ass or not so if it is never mind. Thanks.

link

You think there's an admin around these parts?

Hasn't been for more than 5-6 years.

You'll have to manually do it by either not clicking or averting your eyes.
Here's some help on how to do that:

Glad I could help.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
RallyTaco
Chris Lanctot
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
just a wannabe

November 12, 2011 10:18PM
Well I know there's not moderators but someone (maybe Autoshrine, Skye, I dunno?) set up the software.

I fully believe in the pasta based deity and unless this thread is a figment of my imagination (link) that person asked if anyone wanted any more modules added. I guess I could have posted in that thread but I thought it might be better here.

Administrator
Alright, the deed is done.
Upgraded to Phorum v5.2 the latest and greatest.

Stuff may be broken.... but it looks ok from here. Tweaks will no doubt be required...*snip*

Also added the poll module.
If you want more modules from http://www.phorum.org/phorum5/list.php?62 let me know.

Rally on,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Webmaster

So I asked.

But thanks for the tip!
SeanP
Sean Lane
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 Dodge Neon G2, bruised

November 13, 2011 05:33PM
Ironic reply to this thread is ironic.
Ian S
Ian Seppanen
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Nissan 240SX

November 13, 2011 08:23PM
I smell a juicy story.
heymagic
Banned
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

November 13, 2011 10:23PM
The problem with the ignore user thing is we have so much fun quoting the other guy you'll still see the posts.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Super Moderator

November 14, 2011 01:48AM
We have an ignore here now???
RallyTaco
Chris Lanctot
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
just a wannabe

November 14, 2011 03:07PM
heymagic
The problem with the ignore user thing is we have so much fun quoting the other guy you'll still see the posts.

Yeah but then you get quotes of bullet points and cogent thoughts kindly pre-filtered by other people saving me the trouble and mental what-in-the-fuck? of wading through to find them myself.

SeanP

winking smiley

Dazed_Driver

No but we could if we added the module in the link I posted to the forum software. Which is the whole point of the thread Columbo.

Ian S
I smell a juicy story.

Nope. Not involving me anyways.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2011 03:13PM by RallyTaco.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 14, 2011 03:34PM
I kinda dislike the ignore feature from a 'we're all adults standpoint.'
There are plenty of people I disagree with. Even a few I flat out don't like. But as an adult I have learned to deal with those differences.

Now if we could make a "hide posts rule system" that could be useful but it's also pretty easy to just scroll right past those. No one makes you read stuff. There's quite a few people on the other site that I pretty much ignore because their past contributions have led me to realize that most of what they say is not worth reading. However, occasionally they might say something that warrants a logical response.

It's like politics. The Tea Party has everyone else on their ignore list and jack shit gets done because there is no dialog. There are people on facebook that post conservative right wing propaganda frequently. I don't agree with most of what they post and don't bother replying as I know it's a waste of time, but they are still my friends and occasionally they'll say something so outlandish it warrants a response. Of course, they then usually ignore my logical arguments and such but that's too be expected. At least some of their other friends might read it.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Super Moderator

November 14, 2011 04:22PM
Ok, I confess to being a lazy bum for this one, haha. I didn't look at the link. I thought John's post was meaning the wanted module was one of those image hider things where you click it to revel something (sometimes used as a spoiler button).

Some sites have those to make image heavy threads load faster. (or at least, thats why I think they have them? maybe they are there to not make the thread page suuuuuper long?)
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 14, 2011 04:54PM
RallyTaco
heymagic

Yeah but then you get quotes of bullet points and cogent thoughts kindly pre-filtered by other people saving me the trouble and mental what-in-the-fuck? of wading through to find them myself.

SeanP

winking smiley

Dazed_Driver

No but we could if we added the module in the link I posted to the forum software. Which is the whole point of the thread Columbo.

Ian S
I smell a juicy story.

Nope. Not involving me anyways.

So you find averting your eyes too much of a mental strain?

Maybe you're right. If we had an ignore feature we wouldn't have to read about people complaining about grueling mental torture...
Ever read this?

http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?8,41104

WELCOME TO RALLY ANARCHY!

This site has been created with the goal of creating a proper rally BBS for the North American scene, for the people who love the sport and hobby. It's based on the idea of Sailing Anarchy, check it out if you want a sample.

And by proper, I mean highly improper. Most things that will get censored on other Forums is fair game here. Proceed at your own risk. Note that the webmaster is not responsible for the views or opinions posted on this Forum, in a very real and legally binding sense.

That's not to say there aren't any rules here. On the contrary, one sure fire way to get booted is to act consistently stupid or take personal attacks too far. Another is to whine or bullshit incessantly without contributing either knowledge or humour to the discussion. Any malicious quoting out of context to seriously deceive (rather than just poke some fun and obviously josh around) is grounds for ass kicking. Ditto on posts complaining about spelling or grammatical errors. If you are convicted by a jury of your peers, you may be sent to the Sin Bin for detention.

Here's an example of rules you won't see here:

"I figure that hosting a forum is a lot like inviting a diverse group of adults to your living room for a discussion that can edify anyone who cares to listen and respectfully participate. Were it my living room and a handful of guests insisted on ignoring common sense rules of decorum by interrupting discussions with personal attacks, derailing trains of thought to further some unrelated agenda, consistently abused their participation privilege by carrying on one's business on the premises or uttered anything that might make a libel attorney salivate then I'd certainly never invite them back."

That's fine and dandy, but we need a place to talk openly, especially if it's in a yakking-around-the-garage after dropping-in-an-engine kind of friendly banter. Think of Rally Anarchy as the local clubhouse you probably have never had. Swearing is OK, but don't go overboard.

One of the things you won't find here is 834,234 different forums for every different country, region, state, province, city, neighborhood, gender, shoe size, sexual preference or hair colour. If you've got something to say, why don't you say it to the whole class, hmmmm?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
RallyTaco
Chris Lanctot
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
just a wannabe

November 14, 2011 05:13PM
NoCoast
I kinda dislike the ignore feature from a 'we're all adults standpoint.'
There are plenty of people I disagree with. Even a few I flat out don't like. But as an adult I have learned to deal with those differences.

Honestly hiding posts would work pretty good too. My want isn't ideologicaly based it's just sheer pollution/repetition/hypocrisy removal. Agree or disagree isn't the issue as I actually agree with a lot I want to block.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2011 06:14PM by RallyTaco.
RallyTaco
Chris Lanctot
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
just a wannabe

November 14, 2011 06:05PM
john vanlandingham

Maybe you're right. If we had an ignore feature we wouldn't have to read about people complaining about grueling mental torture...
Ever read this?

one sure fire way to get booted is to act consistently stupid or take personal attacks too far. Another is to whine or bullshit incessantly without contributing either knowledge or humor to the discussion

I was trying to be nice.

Hey JVL buddy, go fuck yourself. I put this in off topic because unlike you I care if I clutter up the main rally section with extraneous bullshit.

Did you have a problem averting your eyes and ignoring my post you painfully hypocritical fuck?

That section of the rules you posted is great because you think it's a legalese excuse to do what you do. You post one sentence of salient info then 10,000 words of bullshit, whining, and attacking because you think it's funny. You're not that funny. Even if everyone thought you posting the same shit all the time is hilarious guess what? YOU ARE THE BIGGEST WHINY BITCH ON THIS FORUM! How can you not realize how ridiculous it is for you to complain about whining and bitching when you absolutely do both all the time? Pro tip: Contributing knowledge works better when not buried under mountains of unfunny bullshit and random essays on unrelated topics.

Yet you come on to this little thread in off topic to attack and belittle me and post your spammy reaction image as if I'm the problem mucking up the whole site.

Again, go fuck yourself.

I like everyone else that posts here. People I like here know and like you in real life. You have a lot of great thoughts and ideas to share. I try to get over the negative and focus on the positive.

It's all lost though because of your pathological need to be smug dickhead.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 14, 2011 06:48PM
john vanlandingham

Ever read this?

one sure fire way to get booted is to act consistently stupid or take personal attacks too far. Another is to whine or bullshit incessantly without contributing either knowledge or humor to the discussion

I was trying to be nice.

Hey JVL buddy, go fuck yourself. I put this in off topic because unlike you I care if I clutter up the main rally section with extraneous bullshit.

Obviously I ain't your buddy, buddy.

Did you have a problem averting your eyes and ignoring my post you painfully hypocritical fuck?

You're too transparent. I didn't want to just come out and ask what you wanted to cry about.
Have you ever heard of a concept called parody? Sarcasm?
Are you an uptight Republican't engineer?

That section of the rules you posted is great because you think it's a legalese excuse to do what you do. You post one sentence of salient info then 10,000 words of bullshit, whining, and attacking because you think it's funny. You're not that funny. Even if everyone thought you posting the same shit all the time is hilarious guess what? YOU ARE THE BIGGEST WHINY BITCH ON THIS FORUM! How can you not realize how ridiculous it is for you to complain about whining and bitching when you absolutely do both all the time? Pro tip: Contributing knowledge works better when not buried under mountains of unfunny bullshit and random essays on unrelated topics.

Hey I see you're the expert on posting knowledge. Great! Take over.
(Naw you're just a frustrated guy who has made a lot of bad decisions in life and hates everybody and covers it with a thin veneer of what you think is "pleasantness".....we can smell the rage though, dud.

Yet you come on to this little thread in off topic to attack and belittle me and post your spammy reaction image as if I'm the problem mucking up the whole site.

Cause you're a whiney shit., and"spammy" What the fuck? Spammy?
You gots problems dude.

Again, go fuck yourself.

Oh I'm sorry, you have that all wrong. Fuck YoooooOOOOOOU!eye rolling smiley

I like everyone else that posts here.

Ahhh that's good. I'm somebody. And I'm here. So everything is fine. Whew.

People I like here know and like you in real life. You have a lot of great thoughts and ideas to share. I try to get over the negative and focus on the positive.

That's good. You'll maybe live longer and have less age related illness.

It's all lost though because of your pathological need to be smug dickhead.

Hey you know what, I know i can't keep everybody happy all the time. I don't try.
Some people are thickheaded. I am. Some are plain stupid. I ain't.

Some like to joke about some things and I like to joke a lot.
You read it as smug.
You're wrong; it isn't smug. And its not being a dickhead.
It's probably some inadequacy inside your head. Some "need" to imagine yourself as smarter, or better, or different.

And some compulsion to lash out and hate anybody who doesn't stroke your imaginings and feelings of uniqueness.

Whatever.

(Did you ever consider the fact that YOU could be misperceiving a fundamental thing and that all that flows from that initial misunderstanding or preconception is thus tainted?

See some people are LOOKING for fights and looking for offense. In fact cynical fucks like Karl Rove have figured out that a certain minority of males in this country are all about "feeling offended" all the time. Maybe you are.
Maybe that's why you want to drive a truck since for some segments of males its a symbol of potency and status...
See over the years, seeing this diametrical opposite reaction where most people maybe 82-85% are OK with me (North American respondents, it's higher elsewhere) a small core group reacts exactly EXACTLY like you do, right down to same phrases..
That means it ain't ME, it's them, and that same phrase thing indicates it's not really their thoughts but somebody has articulated a general hate into some words for them. Do you listen to AM radio a lot?

In fact a good "marker' for those that will hate me is, aside from their need status, is a acceptance of manufactured cultural values, and symbols.

Maybe you just need to mellow the fuck out.

Oh, one thing.
You snivel about repetition.
Guess what, Einstein?
Not everybody has been here forever, there's piles new guys all the time. People randomly stumble onto things but people ask questions. Newbs ask the same questions about their brilliant ideas, and since I have seen 3 times as many project trickle out into the sand or get parked after 2 events cause some (self imagined) genius just like YOU built something basically FUCKED UP, than cars finished..

Now you're a all self centered schmuck who thinks he's smart so you're going to build a POS whatever and you don't care.

But I actually work and have worked with a LOT, scores of guys, full of passion, who either build too mild and can't even get a chubby, or bite off tooo much or chose a car with BUILT IN DEAD ENDS, and never finish them.

And that bothers me to see passion dwindle and fade out..

So until YOU volunteer the time here and out in my and dozens of other people's driveway where this forum was founded, and help more people to not go astray,
maybe you should just go somewhere else where everybody will think you're soooooo cooool cause you're gonna build a fucking pick-up.

Or quit complaining.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2011 01:20AM by john vanlandingham.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Super Moderator

November 14, 2011 07:07PM
And now, a word from our sponsors,

and last but not least!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login