Posted by NoCoast 
alosix
Jason Powers
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
02 WRX, still to quiet, but it finished a rally

Re: NPR on Nascar
March 23, 2012 12:08PM
Yeah.. we don't have a particularly low barrier to entry.

Hmm, we do our rallyx @ an offroad park where there are tons of kids, and tons of side by sides.. Need to bug Brent and check with SCCA to see if the insurance would work for allowing them in the fun. I know the side by side guys that ran @ idaho had a good time.

I don't know that 'full stage rally' would always work for some sort of smaller lower entry point vehicle, but rallyx and some rally sprints might.

This isn't floor mat anarchy
Please Login or Register to post a reply
heymagic
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

March 23, 2012 02:46PM
Being out on stage wouldn't be the best...but a feeder/beginner program in an ORV park or closed course facility could maybe work. Apply our principals, co-driver (no Rally Solo) , route book , timing, controls and working, small transit maybe. Outta be doable. Not rally but rallyesque to teach and harvest tomorrows competitors. Currently our sport has nothing to get the young segment, so they go dirt biking, drag racing etc. If we can hook the kids they'll hook the parents.

Even a double seater yerf dawg suspended go-cart would work for this.
alosix
Jason Powers
Super Moderator

Rally Car:

March 23, 2012 02:49PM
'spec' class based on something like this:

http://www.ubuilditplans.com/SII.html

wonder how cheap something like that could be turned out/shipped so the running gear could be scrounged up.

fiasco
Andrew Steere
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

March 23, 2012 03:03PM
alosix
'spec' class based on something like this:

http://www.ubuilditplans.com/SII.html

wonder how cheap something like that could be turned out/shipped so the running gear could be scrounged up.

That could be a hoot with a SkiDoo 550 fan sled engine!

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
alosix
Jason Powers
Super Moderator

Rally Car:

March 23, 2012 03:11PM
Ya know.. the 185/70/13 dmack's would be just about the right size for that thing.. would probably last for ages as well.

Dazed_Driver
Banned
Elite Moderator

March 23, 2012 05:14PM
You could probably just use a fleet of a few "yerf dog" style two seater off road go karts. They're not super fast, but they're reasonably ok handling. My buddy and I used to tear up his back yard in one. I don't even know if they're around anymore, though. That was in about 6th grade, hahahaha (I'm almost 23 now haha)

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
heymagic
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

March 25, 2012 08:27PM
Dazed_Driver
You could probably just use a fleet of a few "yerf dog" style two seater off road go karts. They're not super fast, but they're reasonably ok handling. My buddy and I used to tear up his back yard in one. I don't even know if they're around anymore, though. That was in about 6th grade, hahahaha (I'm almost 23 now haha)

Brent had one about that same time period. It scooted pretty good (single seater tho). He did manage to break it in two, literally. The kit cart above looks pretty stout.
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

April 03, 2012 12:43PM
alosix
Yeah.. we don't have a particularly low barrier to entry.

Hmm, we do our rallyx @ an offroad park where there are tons of kids, and tons of side by sides.. Need to bug Brent and check with SCCA to see if the insurance would work for allowing them in the fun. I know the side by side guys that ran @ idaho had a good time.

I don't know that 'full stage rally' would always work for some sort of smaller lower entry point vehicle, but rallyx and some rally sprints might.

SCCA autocross has a class for kids in Karts (think 12 is the minimum age) then 15 (with permit and parent) for cars.

I would think that rally cross could run Karts as well. (with kids in them) they can drive solo, no need for a navigator at that level. the point of putting 12 year olds in dirt karts would be to get them hooked on "racing in the dirt is FUN!" and basic driving skills, being able to 'see the line' drive what you see, etc.

you could also do it with side-by-sides too (each could have a class) but ya it would need some sorta sponsorship and like a "try it for free day" encourange parents to bring out their kids. get the kids hooked and they will come back. parents will only take so much "i want to go again" before caving in..

hmmmmm
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

April 03, 2012 02:48PM
My last cart was one of the old honda 250 class entries (imagine a full suspended fl350 and you are close). I never raced it, but cranking about the forest service fire roads was amazing. Kind of a cross between the pilot and the odyssey, trailing arm suspension front and rear, 10" or so of travel, top speed of about 55. Really really fun with a 65hp liquid cooled 2 stroke.

Would be perfect for the rally solo idea, especially since Rally Idaho now allows UTV's. Plus I can go out to the desert, the beach, forest trails with it, a new set of tires is cheap. An out of the box youth rally solo car for under $1500. or an absolute screamer with a 600cc sport bike motor for not much more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 02:48PM by aj_johnson.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login