Advanced

Power to Weight Ratio Question

Posted by Wannabe 
Wannabe
Anne Francis
Senior Moderator

Power to Weight Ratio Question
April 19, 2012 11:15PM
I've been interested in Hybrid vehicles for a long time but told myself I'll park my car for a couple of months to offset the additional fuel consumption with a real car. Then I started thinking why not and considered bying a hybrid. Drove a Prius for about a month as a rental and beyond impressing my 8 year old nephew with the cool dash I hated the car (mostly the acceleration felt dangerous on the highway). I recently met with a friend in SanFrancisco who was telling me about Wrightspeed. I'm an intuitive physicist not a practicing one, can anyone help explain if this video makes sense?

I haven't researched it enough to know if the technology has made it to production vehicles yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2012 11:16PM by Wannabe.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

Re: Power to Weight Ratio Question
April 20, 2012 08:23AM
I don't doubt that it's fast. Communter cars in Spokane Wa sells a vehicle called the tango. A goofy tall two seat (fighter style) car that does 0-60 in less than 4 seconds and quarter mile in just under 12sec IIRC.

The torque curve for a DC motor starts out at it's peak at 0 RPM and gradually goes down as rpms go up. So all of your power is available instantly, unlike a standard car where torque generally increases with rpms.

http://www.commutercars.com/
Jay
Jay Woodward
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege

Jay
April 20, 2012 09:15AM
When a cuz of mine was at Western he was on a team that built an electric firstgen rx7 that ran high 9's, well, one run. Per charge. So keep the weight down and a batterycar will go real good for a real short time. I went to wrihtspeeds site and they are doing some different stuff. made for a good read. Wright used to work for Tesla and quit cuz he thought they were doing it all wrong...

Jay Woodward
Snohomish, WA
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege
Chronologically, 46...
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

April 20, 2012 09:37AM
The wrightspeed stuff is really interesting. I can't wait till batteries come down to a reasonable price. I think that a DIY ariel atom replica with an electric drivetrain would be awesome. On top of which think of how easy it would be to convert some of these nice looking but fwd cars to right wheel drive.

Buddy of mine put together a couple of DIY electric Integras. Utilized the factory gearbox and drive train. It was quicker than snot but he could never get more than 40-50 miles to a charge.
Anders Green
Anders Green
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

April 22, 2012 07:17AM
aj_johnson
It was quicker than snot but he could never get more than 40-50 miles to a charge.

I remember hearing a quote from some auto exec "You know, they're right, with the range of electric cars, they aren't good for all Americans. Just 95% of them."

This was a production electric car, and I think 80+ miles is expected out of them.

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Pete
Pete Remner
Godlike Moderator

April 22, 2012 09:47PM
What's the range of an electric when it is 15 degrees out?

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Wannabe
Anne Francis
Senior Moderator

April 24, 2012 12:33AM
Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts. My neighbor just got a new Audi Q5 and BMW sent me an invitation to test drive their new Active Hybrid the same week so I've had Hybrids on my mind. I think I need to brush up on my physics!

As for the range at 15 degrees...probably as far as a human at 15 degrees without a jacket. I think most have built in battery warmers smiling smiley
Wannabe
Anne Francis
Senior Moderator

June 22, 2012 10:34PM
Jay
When a cuz of mine was at Western he was on a team that built an electric firstgen rx7 that ran high 9's, well, one run. Per charge. So keep the weight down and a batterycar will go real good for a real short time. I went to wrihtspeeds site and they are doing some different stuff. made for a good read. Wright used to work for Tesla and quit cuz he thought they were doing it all wrong...

Stuck in San Francisco on a flight delay, thought I'd share this.

Telsa launched their Model S yesterday from Freemont. A bit pricey for mainstream but it's a great looking car with some interesting stats. I think the X has even greater potential.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models
ChrisKobi
Chris Kobayashi
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 ford focus zx3

June 23, 2012 08:26AM
Tesla is right across the street from where I work, they bring their Roadsters in often for alignments and tires. Haven't got to drive one yet but I look forward to it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login