Off Topic
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

I had a one-night stand with a homeless dude…What was I thinking?

Posted by Wannabe 
Wannabe
Anne Francis
Mod Moderator

I had a one-night stand with a homeless dude…What was I thinking?
April 30, 2012 03:14AM
A true story of Luck and Hope.

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing smiling smiley

It was a 24-hour fling. I picked him up at his shelter we had plans for a picnic; a blanket, some warm sun , fresh air and if we hit it off a week of some playtime and a bit of R&R before a big charity event next week he is obliged to attend.

I knew the minute he strutted around the corner I was in for more than I bargained for but I didn’t want to cancel on him knowing he was excited to see me. I’m partial to the younger ones and I knew immediately I was in for trouble as the girls around me said he tells us to call him "Lucky", a people magnet... real ladies “man”, protector, loyal, a big heart with a gentle personality. Never being afraid of a challenge, I said “sold…give me that leash, I’ll train him”…he almost instantly swept me off my feet (literally)! And our whirlwind 24-hours began.

We got kicked out of a public park on our first stop, apparently his “type” wasn’t welcome. The view of the mountains was what we wanted. I told him I knew a little spot in the city, not quite as intimate but somewhere we could hang out for a while. He agreed, drooling at the thought.

Back in the city we went directly to my place first. I knew I wanted to invite him in but what would the neighbors think? He was in desperate need of some personal –grooming . I didn’t want to offend him, so I suggested we just head for the park first. We grabbed our essentials from the car (snacks, blanket, water, a couple of good books and I tucked a hair brush in my bag, just in case).

We were stopped on the walk to the waterfront no less than a dozen times and the compliments were plenty…“Wow, you're big”, “How old are you?”. Being a bit of a wallflower all of the attention was surprising and while I was answering the questions he was really turning it on… friendly, charming, even offered kisses to the children. Ladies man was true, but everyone seemed to love him. We made our way to a quiet spot and lounged for the afternoon, and this is where things really went “down-hill”. I wanted to read, he wanted to eat. I wanted to snuggle, he was mesmerized by the trains. We stayed until it was nearly dark , I could tell he was getting comfortable with me as some of the charm wore off and he pulled me behind a bush on the way home.

Once back at my place, we walked through the door and right away I could tell he was less than impressed. He made himself at home and walked from room to room and then looked at me and although he didn’t speak a word I could read his mind…”Really? You’ve got to be kidding me? Is this it?, I think my place at the shelter was bigger than this place”. I knew right that moment we probably wouldn’t get along for long. I thought, “OK, if you’re going to be that way you can stay the night but you are not sleeping in my bed and I’m driving you back first thing tomorrow. What was I thinking”? As if to try and make me really mad he became “intimate” with the large cushion he brought with him from the shelter, snored through the night and then decided he wanted to play first thing in the morning! Grrr

We parted ways almost exactly 24-hours after we first met. He broke the storage console in the back seat of my car, left behind a bit of his handsome hair, and got the neighbors talking…so I'll feel Lucky for a while. smiling smiley

A bit about this story: I’ve been a volunteer and foster parent for the Seattle Humane Society for several years. I’ve shared pictures of puppies I’ve taken care of but there have been others. Wounded animals who need help healing after surgery, Old-Timers who have been waiting for adoption and just need a little time away from the others. The Seattle Humane Society is unique and since there are so many here from the area I thought I’d share. The shelter doesn’t euthanize animals if they can’t get adopted quickly. They will keep them as comfortable as possible until they find just the right family to match them with no matter how long it takes. If an animal needs surgery that will help it live a little longer they will provide surgery and medical attention and care until they can be adopted. If there are animals from other states who will be euthanized they will bring them to Seattle to save them. It’s a truly wonderful organization that I feel lucky to be involved with.

Thanks for letting me share my story here. Many of you have become my adopted family.

Here’s to Luck and Hope for all of us!

Meet Lucky: An 8 month old, neutered, 84-lb, pure bread, Great Pyrenees. I hope (know) he will find a caring home who will appreciate all of his pure and loving qualities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 03:17AM by Wannabe.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Attachments:
open | download - IMG00406-20120428-1647[1]2.jpg (84.1 KB)
IMG00406-20120428-1647[1]2.jpg
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

Re: I had a one-night stand with a homeless dude…What was I thinking?
April 30, 2012 09:37AM
Thanks for the story, It's been over 5 years since i've had a dog, I'm picking up our new puppy tomorrow.

I also saw these this morning, thought you might enjoy them.

NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

April 30, 2012 11:06AM
I can't believe that an 8 month old pure bred Pyrenees would remain in a shelter for any extended amount of time. Cool dogs.
When I first started reading this I thought of this music video.

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 30, 2012 11:25AM
I like doggies.
Good stories .
Good piccies.
Good doggies.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

April 30, 2012 03:40PM
If you were in Fargo my wife would love to take him in, thus forcing me to be the bad guy. One big shedding dog is enough. I too am surprised he doesn't have a home yet.
Wannabe
Anne Francis
Mod Moderator

May 01, 2012 01:16AM
aj_johnson
Thanks for the story, It's been over 5 years since i've had a dog, I'm picking up our new puppy tomorrow.

I also saw these this morning, thought you might enjoy them.

Cool pics, I heard about this guy.

My favorite would be for #2 (with the orange ball), a close second would be the last one but they're all really neat. I'd like to see what else he has planned with that camera. Awwwesome news on the puppy!!! You'll have to share more.

Lucky and a bunch of others are being held for a fundraising event this Saturday, after that he will be up for adoption. I agree he should find a home quick, hopefully one that has a big back yard. If you change your mind in Fargo you'll have to let me know there are plenty of other furry friends winking smiley

Have a great week !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2012 01:30AM by Wannabe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login