Posted by ChrisKobi 
ChrisKobi
Chris Kobayashi
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 ford focus zx3

Nitro RC car experience?
March 04, 2013 07:55PM
Anyone here have any experience with them?

Here's the deal...

I got the Kyosho DRX for Christmas and I still haven't got it running smooth or even got to rally it.

So I'm wondering how you may have tuned your engine for the break in or if you have any tips. I watched some you tube videos and I think I'm getting there but still no real luck. Its a pretty sweet rally RC rally car but would be sweeter if I wasn't just looking at it sitting on my shelf.

Here is the video of what I should be doing with it now. Mines a Citroen C4 Demon rally body.

Please Login or Register to post a reply
egdinger
Eric Dinger
Junior Moderator

Re: Nitro RC car experience?
March 04, 2013 11:03PM
Do you have an ir thermometer? I found one quite useful when I was into nitro. If you don't, just follow the settings in the manual and drive it gently for a few tanks.
What do yo mean by

still no real luck
is it not running well, stalling, hard starting? Whole bunch of things that could be bit out of whack causing problems. Was this RTR or did you build it?
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Ultra Moderator

March 04, 2013 11:12PM
You cut the circle in the front and rear windows so that the engine gets air? IT seems stupid, but a lot of people dont want to do it, lol

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
Creech
Scott Creech
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

March 05, 2013 01:34AM
Well, they SOUND just-about like the "Real Thing"....

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.
ChrisKobi
Chris Kobayashi
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 ford focus zx3

March 05, 2013 07:40AM
No Thermometer yet, I will get one soon. As far as the hole in the windshield none yet haven't even put the body on.

It is a RTR although the low and high needle need to be adjusted before it will run. So far I have been able to make it run for about a minute but cannot touch the throttle as it would kill the engine. I guess as it breaks in you need to keep adjusting the needles until you find that sweet spot.

So far during the adjustments I've had it idle slow then it kicks into high and took off as I grabbed it it jammed the wheels and stripped the main gear, I replaced that. I also have pulled the starter and it wouldn't retract. fixed that a couple times. Think I'm going to switch to a electric start. I figure by the time it get this thing running I will have a pretty good grasp as to how it works.

This is way different than when I was a kid and had RC cars. The fun part was to get to actually build them. Not so much any more. People are more into instant gratification so they come already built. psshhh!!
b00sted
David Barrett
Godlike Moderator

March 06, 2013 06:05AM
If it's dying when you touch the throttle, it's just loading up with fuel. Lean out the low speed.

When breaking it in, you want to run it rich, but it doesn't need to be crazy rich. Accelerate to 1/4 throttle and back to a stop multiple times...Repeat for two tanks. Then do the same thing for another tank or two, but go to 1/2 throttle and back. Then on the 5th tank, go full throttle and start tuning the high speed.

Nitro motors are finicky. You'll have to tune it a bit pretty much every time you run it.
ChrisKobi
Chris Kobayashi
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 ford focus zx3

March 06, 2013 08:43PM
b00sted
If it's dying when you touch the throttle, it's just loading up with fuel. Lean out the low speed.

When breaking it in, you want to run it rich, but it doesn't need to be crazy rich. Accelerate to 1/4 throttle and back to a stop multiple times...Repeat for two tanks. Then do the same thing for another tank or two, but go to 1/2 throttle and back. Then on the 5th tank, go full throttle and start tuning the high speed.

Nitro motors are finicky. You'll have to tune it a bit pretty much every time you run it.

Ok cool thanks for the tips! I'll see if I can get this thing running this weekend.
mke723
Mike Lindenfelser
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1995 Impreza L

March 07, 2013 12:01AM
You can still buy them in a build it yo-self-kit.. But ya gotta go to a hobby store.. Big box and online stores typically just have the RTRs.. On my old one I had to prime the tank/ fuel line or it would just run for a short bit and die.. One thing I would get is a signal cut off switch witch automatically kills the engine if your batteries die, or it goes out of signal range... Don't wanna loose signal at full throttle, and watch your toy drive off into the sunset at 60mph....

I be sorry as a muthafucka I did, still sorry I did n' hustled ta peep what tha fuck I holla'd a lil' bit better, or at least try to.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login