Advanced

My new(to me) ride for 2013..

Posted by b00sted 
b00sted
David Barrett
Super Moderator

My new(to me) ride for 2013..
May 12, 2013 01:09PM
I'm doing a car for next season(hopefully), but I needed something cheap and fun for this summer. After some research, I decided to go grab a used 250cc 2-stroke dirtbike...I was going to go with a 4-stroke 450, but they're about double the price to buy, and cost FAR more when it comes to repairs. The 2-stroke is good, cheap fun.

So, I bought a 2001 Kawasaki kx250. It's mainly stock with first and second gear ratios changed(not sure if they swapped to the mid-90s kx250 ratios, or went aftermarket), a graphics kit, and some basics like levers and what not.

I've got an FMF silencer on order, the TurbineCore 2 with spark arrestor. I don't expect any performance gains, but I needed something with a spark arrestor for riding the woods around me. I also ordered the tools to swap the fork seals, as they're leaky.

I'm going to run it a few times as is, but I plan on ordering an FMF Gnarly pipe(increased bottom-end power), a new top-end kit, and a jet kit since the Gnarly pipe tends to like leaner jetting from what I've read.

I may change the final gearing around too. I'm 265 lbs and ride woods/trails only, so I want something with lots of grunt down low.

I've ridden the bike a few times on the street and it's a blast. I've been on 4-strokes since I could ride without training-wheels, but this is my first time on a bigger CC 2-stroke. What a difference. I've ridden big and small 4-stroke dirtbikes, all sorts of Harleys, crotch rockets(including track racing a Honda CBR1000RR), and nothing has gotten the blood pumping as quickly as this bike coming on the pipe.

tl;dr: Go buy yourself a 2-stroke dirtbike and thank me later. winking smiley
Please Login or Register to post a reply
mke723
Mike Lindenfelser
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1995 Impreza L

Re: My new(to me) ride for 2013..
May 12, 2013 02:25PM
4stroke 450s are a completely different animal than a 2stroke... i ride a '10 kx 450F... its stupid scary fast, and lifts the tire in every gear.

Nice find none the less. enjoy it.

I be sorry as a muthafucka I did, still sorry I did n' hustled ta peep what tha fuck I holla'd a lil' bit better, or at least try to.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 12, 2013 02:32PM
1968 thru 1989 nothing but motors that fire EVERY TIME they go to the top, like a motor should.. No crutches or patches to cover up faulty design like "camshafts" not one, much less 2, no valves, valve springs, retainers, guides tensioners, no fawkin turbos and already by 1973 everything had at least 1000 hp/l or 25hp for a 250, on a mild motor.

Nice color! Nice bike..

I'd be careful on the gearing thing---one tooth on the counter is a fairly big step.. (7-8%) I used to gear up when I was "like old and stuff" in my 30s and really setting the bike of for woods---I was after range...and if we went to Oregon for desert playtime, top speed.. 100 mph on a bike was like eye popping smiley
so from 12/52 ---4.4 to 13/52 or 4.0:1

Damn I miss bikes..fawkin cars are such shit compared to even 30 year old bikes..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
b00sted
David Barrett
Super Moderator

May 12, 2013 03:18PM
We'll see how it acts with the new pipe and jetting...From what I've read, that pipe along with a set of good reeds makes a HUGE difference for woods riding. But if I end up needing more, I'll bump up the rear sprocket a tooth or two.

Mike, the 4-stroke bikes are definitely monsters...I'm sure I'll buy one eventually. But for now, the 2-stroke was a no brainer for me. With a new top end costing $160 or so, and a completely rotating-assembly costing ~$500, I can't go wrong. Those 4-strokes get pricey when something goes wrong.

When I do buy a big 4-stroke, I'll probably go the KTM route. They've got some nice stuff out there.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 12, 2013 04:30PM
b00sted
We'll see how it acts with the new pipe and jetting...From what I've read, that pipe along with a set of good reeds makes a HUGE difference for woods riding. But if I end up needing more, I'll bump up the rear sprocket a tooth or two.

Mike, the 4-stroke bikes are definitely monsters...I'm sure I'll buy one eventually. But for now, the 2-stroke was a no brainer for me. With a new top end costing $160 or so, and a completely rotating-assembly costing ~$500, I can't go wrong. Those 4-strokes get pricey when something goes wrong.

When I do buy a big 4-stroke, I'll probably go the KTM route. They've got some nice stuff out there.

From discusssions I've had those 4 strokes are stupid expensive IN NORMAL service..
A friend was saying his 4 stroke thing is supposed to get an oil change every 35 miles..
Grteat 3 oil changes a day for uus with the miles we used to do..WTF..
Also thay ALL need a valve grind after a certain time of running---like 1000 miles from new,, cause that's just how it goes, things settle in, then you have to freshen it up.
Fawk 4 strokes. Lame things---

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
b00sted
David Barrett
Super Moderator

May 12, 2013 04:41PM
I'm totally fine with doing the trans oil here and there, and doing the top end once a season at most. grinning smiley
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 12, 2013 05:23PM
b00sted
I'm totally fine with doing the trans oil here and there, and doing the top end once a season at most. grinning smiley

My last bike, a Kawasaki KDX200 we did THOUSANDS of miles (we did average about 2 dank loads a day or, round 140 miles...10-15 rides a year) after about a year I was doing long neglected oil change, really cleaning the cables,. brakes and I pulled the plug.. Looked fine, gap a bit large..tapped it on the bars to exactly .028' shoved it back in!

Never used the ring, base gasket or head gasket we had just in case...
Ran like a clock, did wheelies when I wanted, and it was a gas outbraking more modern cross bikes into corners and holding the insidest inside line---corners are often drastically shorter round the inside... too bad those boys would just hang 2 fingers on the front brake lever, shorty lever at that...brakes work better when you pull on them..
Mine was the last year air-cooled---on purpose cause we got way deep in the mountains and didn't want to be sitting more than 2 days walk from home with some twig stuck thru the rad and the lights worked...we often arrived at the van half an hour or more after dark--- so can you imagine some guy with a nice new watercooled Honja CR250 getting outbraked and then I scoot underneath on the inside and PASS them? Oh too much fun..slow down to go fast...

Make haste slowly.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login