Off Topic
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Car stolen, how do I deal with my Insurance?

Posted by Robert Culbertson 
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Godlike Moderator

Car stolen, how do I deal with my Insurance?
May 29, 2013 11:14PM
So while out camping this weekend my car was stolen. Any advice for dealing with my insurance company? I have Farmers, and apparently I have a $100 deductable for auto theft.
I'm just sad that the old Ford Focus went out so... uneventful. I hope they give it a proper viking funeral like it deserves.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
heymagic
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

Re: Car stolen, how do I deal with my Insurance?
May 29, 2013 11:28PM
They will pretty much give you fair market value, less the 100. If you have done anything to increase the value (new engine etc) then usually that will be adjusted providing you have receipts. Not much negotiating to be done.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 29, 2013 11:47PM
Remember they are playing a game. The have no morals at all and will try and screw you and not even use any ream-cream just for fun*. You are not obliged to take their first offer. They low ball you like every penny is coming out of their pocket cause they are good drones.
Document yourself what fine, clean, well mantained, low miles treasures like your old favorite was..

Never lie when half the truth will do!
But don't say anything bad about your rare, desirable model..Note those words Rare and DESIRABLE..
If it was manual box and I stink you said it was, say those are RARE.

* if you mention they aren't using any, they'll charge extra for that...

Poor ol car.
Poor you [sotto voce on] who would steal a Fuck-us?? [/close sotto voce]

Looking ahead: Whaddya gonna get with all the loot you're gonna get?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
RWD4ME
Morten
Mod Moderator

May 30, 2013 12:56AM
JVL is right!

My 1982 RX7 with lots a fun Racing Beat parts was stolen in 1996. I played the "game" with the insurance company. They hire third party companies that scour classifieds listing in order to establish "average regional market values".

The downer of this process is that if you had a cherry car, it gets valued as an average car unless you have receipts for things like engine rebuild, new tires, etc...

Performance upgrades or specialty items add zero value in the eyes of insurance companies because they are considered "preferential personal upgrades". That is unless you are in possession of a thrid party vehicle appraisal.

Collect receipts, and present your case.

Your insurance company likely has a statute of time (ie. 30 days) in which they must settle your claim. As John says, always turn down the first offer.

The adjusters job is to make you accept as little as possible and make you sign. He/she is not your friend and only acts in the interest your insurance company.
heymagic
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

May 30, 2013 01:21AM
They bank on most people not arguing much. A Focus is so common the values will be pretty easy to average out. We just sold a very decent '01 for 3k. 150k miles, average condition, new struts, undocumented mileage replacement engine. Sold in a few hours of being listed, so probably was worth a tad more.
Robert Culbertson
Godlike Moderator

May 30, 2013 01:32AM
If they offered me 3k, I would be pretty happy. Especially if I can have it in non-sequential quarters.

John, to answer your question. I wouldn't get another vehicle. I plan on paying off my credit card. I have too many cars as it is. Two trucks (one on the market), and two cars (one with a cage and one with a turbo) If there's anything left over, it's going toward the everlasting Volvo project in the garage. Maybe even a plane ticket to Germany, we'll see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2013 01:40AM by Robert Culbertson.
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

May 30, 2013 11:54AM
They stole a ....Focus???

Oh-wait... I love Foci-that sucks!

Kinda rare to see one stolen-even nicely modded ones-I'm on the Focus Forums quite a bit and the Pats system works pretty good..but of course they are ways around that I suppose(like a tow truck)!

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
Robert Culbertson
Godlike Moderator

May 30, 2013 12:22PM
RALLYRS
Pats system works pretty good..but of course they are ways around that I suppose(like a tow truck)!
Or if you dropped the keys when you got out of the car.....
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

June 02, 2013 10:26AM
Yep,

Prep to negotiate. When the old Volvo got hit the first offer was $700, I took them all the way to $1600. I didn't feel at all bad, as trying to replace what it was locally for $700 was a friggin joke (rust belt). At $1600 I at least felt better. But all in all, not bad for a car I paid $300 for...
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

June 02, 2013 10:50AM
There is a bit of mis-information here. Upgrades are covered per your policy, most policies I've ever written cover roughly $1000 of upgrades to the car. Check your policy. They like receipts for the upgrades, but will happilly pay up to the limit.

Remember that you are expected to replace your car with the cash they give you. If you do or don't thats your prerogative. Take a few minutes to find comparable models on sales lots in town. Most people have to go buy a car the next day as it's their only source of transport.

Not all adjusters are absolute asshats. I hope your lucky and get one that's reasonable right out of the gate.

(I will never work in insurance agian. It's miserable)
heymagic
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

June 02, 2013 10:50AM
A guy shouldn't have to take a beating from an insurance company because he got a deal on the purchase originally. The rates you pay are based on the overall value of that type of car. You don't get to negotiate the premium for a given coverage.

We just paid a ton for a '08Trailblazer SS for the wifey. It had one adult female owner and 13,000 miles. I'd guess I'll have a fight with the insurance company if we ever lost it.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 02, 2013 11:02AM
Mad Matt F
Yep,

Prep to negotiate. When the old Volvo got hit the first offer was $700, I took them all the way to $1600. I didn't feel at all bad, as trying to replace what it was locally for $700 was a friggin joke (rust belt). At $1600 I at least felt better. But all in all, not bad for a car I paid $300 for...

But but but! is the Volvo gone? (sniffle---sob, sniff)

And speaking of things the should be totaled, hows the mighty Justly coming along?
Did you find room for the 1700 lbs of ballast you have to bolt into the car to even the competition?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

June 02, 2013 03:48PM
RIP poor swedish iron...

Yes John, the mighty copper fridge went to the big junkyard in the sky. It wasn't running well, then got t-boned while parked on the side of the road. Crumpled the A piller pretty good, and wrinkled up the firewall, totaled a Virgo wheel,

There was some debate about keeping it as a shell to replace mighty Justy... but I was short space, money, time... I pulled all the fun bits, still have the billies, and the IDP bars, sold the lights, and sent the shell off to wherever the Insurance company wanted.

We now have some modern Ford produced Volvo product... but it does have a T5 and when provoked the back axel seems to produce forward thrust, so all is well winking smiley particularily with street parking and a 30 cm snowfall!

As for Justy, I pretty much have to put the motor together. Finally found all the bits, just want to balance pistons/rods/etc, and I'll bolt it up. A shipment of lead arrived yesterday, should make a dandy sump guard (We actually got an exemption from CARS)

I should call...

Robert, sorry 'bout the thread jack.
Robert Culbertson
Godlike Moderator

June 02, 2013 10:29PM
Matt, thread jacking around here is a way of life. I usually enjoy the side conversations, when they're conversations.
Morison
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

June 02, 2013 11:04PM
Robert Culbertson
Matt, thread jacking around here is a way of life.
Yah... it 'aint an oaf-issul anarchy thread till it gets Jacked.

Mad Matt F
(We actually got an exemption from CARS)
wot da foque?
Was nobody thinking about the children?

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login