Posted by NoCoast 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Fiesta Group N
June 06, 2007 01:40PM
So, some discussions elsewhere led me to drooling on this again. As many know, the Fiesta ST is a mini JWRC program run by Ford. What you may not know, is that you can get a base car at a discounted price of around 11K GBP. The Group N fitting kit is another 9K but includes close ratio dog box, Reiger suspension, plated LSD, roll cage, and lots of other goodies.

The Fiesta top line comes with a Duratec 2.0L, which can be made to make an easy 210 hp for not too expensive, and up to 300 hp has been done before. The Fiesta weighs 2500 lbs stock, so in theory one could probably get pretty close to the minimum weight for US Group 2.

So for those keyboard builders who want a 'new' car, that want to theorize about a car that is available now that would be a top 2WD car, that's my choice. Of course, the Fiesta won't be here until I believe 2009, but that gives you time to start saving the $50K USD that it would take to build it into a potent gravel rally car. Or if you want some contingency money, I believe the Mazda 2 will be coming also and is of the same platform.

And now for some links.

UK base car info
http://www.ford.co.uk/fiesta

Fiesta Sporting Trophy
http://www.fiestasportingtrophy.co.uk/

US info
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/05/confirmed-ford-fiesta-coming-to-america-hope-for-mondeo/

And a few of them built and ready to go...
http://www.fiestasportingtrophy.co.uk/uploads/carsforsale/IL6BEList%20of%20UK%20Specification%20Cars%20for%20Sale.pdf

Or, for those who want a little more and with a little more budget
http://www.rallycarsforsale.net/clas/index.php?ct=fsrc&md=details&id=22521

http://www.rallycarsforsale.net/clas/index.php?ct=fsrc&md=details&id=22940

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

Re: Fiesta Group N
June 06, 2007 03:38PM
The group N car seems to be a little underpowered and out classed...

rally gods would turn in their graves if they ever knew Lada's were now part of EU rallying!!!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 06, 2007 09:19PM
Grant, in GpN gearbox and final drive ratios, even tooth counts must remain as per the Homologated road car versions---so how is it supposed to be a close ratio box for a GpN car?

I just don't understand the facination with little shitbox cars that cost millions to build----just to go play.

Lack of imagination on my part I guess.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
derek
Derek Bottles
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

June 08, 2007 10:27AM
I think they changed the GpN rules to allow alt gearing but there is no way I am going to spend time to see if a fuzzy memory is right or not...

In the long run reality always wins.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 08, 2007 10:53AM
john vanlandingham Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just don't understand the facination with little
> shitbox cars that cost millions to build----just
> to go play.
>
> Lack of imagination on my part I guess.

See John, I'm still only 26 years old (for another month anyhow) and still a bit of a dreamer. As I was explaining to my very soon to be wifey, Lauren, just yesterday as we were driving to dinner, I believe in rally. Jake Himes and his stokedness on rally rubs off. Max Attack has me truly stoked. I think and want to see it be the type of success that Jake, Eric, Bob, and the others want it to be. And I desperately want to cash in on it. I think rally in the USA is blowing up. I think we are on an upward slope and I want my piece. I know that I will never have the budget to compete at a top level in an Open class car. I see my friends building pretty nice Subarus, but the fact always remains that they will never be competitive cars with higher dollar Subarus. I'm fairly intelligent, have good intuition, and am mostly motivated. Part of my recent push to finish my car and get parts is that I need to get miles on it. Testing miles, hill climbs, and rallies. More experience, both as a driver, and with my car. I have this idea that someday there will be opportunities for people to have paid rides in 2WD cars. I don't think those people will be coming from the trustafarian Subaru pack. At least not at first. Now to figure out how to deal with the 17 year old kids on the stages. They're getting fast.
Now back to work.

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 08, 2007 01:16PM
derek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think they changed the GpN rules to allow alt
> gearing but there is no way I am going to spend
> time to see if a fuzzy memory is right or not...

Don't think so, they allowed dog change and alternate MFg of gearkits.
It's Subaru and Mitsubishi that changed the gearing in the base cars since they were making essentially GpN racers.
>
>
> See me go at:
> www.11tenths.com
> In the long run Reality always wins.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login