Advanced

Posted by cpeehler7 
cpeehler7
Christian Peehler
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Acura Integra GSR 98

October 26, 2013 10:21PM
Hello everyone. I'm Christian and stumbled across this site through a link somewhere on the internet, saw you had a great classified section, so here I am. Just a little information about who I am, I'm 20, live in Western NY, currently finishing up college, and want to get into rally racing (obviously). I'm pretty much here to learn about the sport so when I have enough money to buy a rally car and get into some races I'm not completely clueless. I currently have a 1998 Acura Integra GSR as my daily driver, I know the "read me" thread said you don't care about street cars, but sadly that's all I have so far.

Anyway, it looks like there is quite a bit of information for me to read up on. Hopefully I don't get too much trashing for being such a beginner! Look forward to getting to know you guys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2013 10:23PM by cpeehler7.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
alkun
Albert Kun
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

Re: New Member
October 27, 2013 10:18PM
right on, welcome. 20 is a great time to get into rally, and rallying is a great thing to organize your life around.

Today's helpful hint: only date girls from Finland, with family into motorsports, that own machine shops.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 28, 2013 01:08AM
Yeah welcome earthling, resistance is futile.
As you can see from Alperti Kunkanen's excellent adice and all the really just outstanding advice you received over on that Fan Site, where really serious here. Serious, son, got that.?

And since Al brought up Finland, take this and keep it in mind, adopt it and life will be better"
Everything you see us say is never 100% serious, and everything we say is never 100% joking...

And we don't get paid enough to act serious...

I hope you realise that everything over there was with tongue planted firmly in cheek..

So do you have any lightly penciled in plans and rough time-line...?
Planning is good, but I say use a pencil when writing plans cause pencils come with erasers....

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
cpeehler7
Christian Peehler
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Acura Integra GSR 98

October 29, 2013 08:09AM
Thanks for the welcome guys. I've been doing a bit of googling and there are quite a few Rallycross races over the winter that don't require a roll cage or anything, since they're lower speed races. There are quite a few ice races up in the mountains in Upstate NY. I'm going to head out to some of those races and get my Integra dirty and get the feel of racing.

At this point I'm just looking to learn how to drive on the different surfaces and hopefully meet some other racers with more experience.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 29, 2013 09:59AM
Do you have an open diff in that car?

Then you go have some fun but inside wheel peel is what you're going to learn about mostly.
Can you afford a LSD?---clutch plate diff of course.

It is a world of difference in the snow, that and good tires...

With those, then you begin learning...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
cpeehler7
Christian Peehler
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Acura Integra GSR 98

October 29, 2013 11:31AM
The car should still have the stock differential, which I believe is an open diff. I've noticed when I hit the gas hard on a turn the inside wheel peels out a lot. It isn't ideal, but I'd rather save the money and put it toward an actual rally car. I'm not looking to go out and win races in my Integra, I just want to get the feel for it and learn something. I'm really hoping for some snow this year so I can find some empty parking lots to slide around in. From the looks of it a LSD for a GSR is about $500, which isn't too bad, but I think I would rather put that toward an actual rally car.

One of the requirements for the ice races in Upstate NY this winter is to use Blizzak snow tires. So I'll just get a new set of those so I can race up there over the winter. They're supposed to be good street snow tires, but I guess you can't go too fast on a frozen lake with them, which is why roll cages aren't required.

Right now though the plan is to save my money, pay off my loans, and then probably start off by buying a used rally car. I know that's the cheapest way to go for starters, as long as there aren't too many mechanical problems.

Thanks again for all the info guys.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 29, 2013 11:42AM
Upstate NY used to have a super active TSD community. Find that and start entering ASAP!

Grant Hughes
cpeehler7
Christian Peehler
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Acura Integra GSR 98

October 29, 2013 04:14PM
I'll look into TSD in upstate NY, thanks for that info. I have a lot of googling to do now, can't wait to get out to an actual rally. Should be heading out to one mid next month.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login