Advanced

Run like the wind

Posted by Wannabe 
Wannabe
Anne Francis
Elite Moderator

Re: Run like the wind
December 24, 2013 02:10AM
I've learned one thing about long distance running and that is there really are so many things that contribute to having a good run. It really seems like if its not one thing its another!

I do constantly battle hydration too much or not enough seem to be my common problem. I haven't tried calcium but I do take iron pills to help with blood volume. Over the summer I dehydrated to the point of not being able to get out of bed a couple of times. A lot of overheating and a diet with no red meats while my body was going through a blood volume expansion. I've kept with the iron pills for the past 7 months. Probably more of a problem with women but something that was a real challenge.

Something I haven't told anyone (mostly because I know it's really bad). I did run the entire race with an injured right leg hamstring I've had for about 4 months now (My quads are stronger also). It wasn't horrible pain just the dull ache...I took a couple of Ibuprofen before the race sad smiley It doesn't hurt more since the race but it's pesky.

I am in complete awe of long distance runners and any athlete who can make their body do things the rest of us dream of!

Derek-the Seattle Rock and Roll Marathon is just 6 months away. Do it! smiling smiley

Please Login or Register to post a reply
frumby
Jason Hynd
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4TI a slow build!

December 24, 2013 03:11AM
OK, I considered whether or not to weigh in here. I'm probably the biggest runner on the forum, and I don't want to come off wrong/cocky/dick.. that's not me. I've run lots of marathons, and 18 ultras including four mountain trail 100's. A few wins, and a lot of top tens.

First off... everyone is different, and we're doing this for fun and personal accomplishment. We're not making money (well, I made $100 for third place at my first 100 miler, so a dollar a mile!). No ones goal is less worthy for being shorter longer flatter steeper etc.

That difference carries over to cramping and what works for footwear, as well as every other problem.

So, my experience is worth about a dime! I run in Hokas mostly. They're great shoes. They're not high heels. The Bondi's have somewhere around 5mm drop, so I find a very neutral gait. The cushion is nice, but the neutral style of running they promote naturally reduces impact on the knees. I found the biggest difference between them and minimal footwear is that my actual feet hurt much less! I just got a pair of Hoka Rapanui. Great trail shoe that runs well on the road, and is quite light.

Cramps. Some people just get them more than others. Kenyans aren't popping Gatorade and salt pills, and they're not freaking about eating bananas. Chances are very high you have tons of salt in your system. There can be different reasons for cramping, but they're almost all related to how hard and or how long you're going. If you're pushing too hard for the conditions some peoples bodies just cramp. Train more. Take conditions into account. The effort may not feel very hard, but if you're not used to hills you may cramp. If it's hotter than you're used to you may cramp. A recent study showed that taking a salt pill at the onset of cramping reduced the duration from an average of 120 seconds to 60. The problem is that isn't enough time for the salt to be absorbed at all. So something is telling the brain to release the cramp. So it's a brain thing, not a physiological thing. Some people call it the internal governer... it's a flawed theory, but the idea goes that your brain will go to lengths to make sure you don't push so hard you hurt yourself. Make the brain happy, and it will let you go a bit further. Brains like cool (soak your hat in water), they like sugar, they like a bit of fat, and they love salt! Train yourself to run hard without these crutches, but use them in moderation when needed (super long training runs or races).
Wannabe
Anne Francis
Elite Moderator

December 24, 2013 03:34AM
No offense on the Hokas; I wear heels and that's how they felt to me smiling smiley

It wasn't so much cramping that I had experienced it was the lock up which for me was a completely different feeling vs. cramping. It's not even a painful thing.

I understand cramps and can typically run through them. The lock up is a feeling I only get when slowing down drastically or stopping (for even a few seconds) during a long run.

And you're totally right that everyone is different but asking and hearing other suggestions is fun too. Thanks for your thoughts (especially training without crutches....something that's so true but hard).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2013 03:40AM by Wannabe.
frumby
Jason Hynd
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4TI a slow build!

December 24, 2013 03:45AM
No offense on Hokas.. They're goofy looking too, so you're saving yourself embarrassment by not running in them!

I get the same locked up feeling. It's one reason I don't stop for more than moments even on runs that take all day. If I stop for more than a few seconds my legs lock up and it's hard to get going again. Not cramps.. You're right there.
Wannabe
Anne Francis
Elite Moderator

December 24, 2013 01:59PM
I've asked others many have experienced it but no one knows what the exact biology is behind it. Metabolism like others said is always a factor but I sort of think the heart of the answer must be with neurophysiology. I don't really know. Maybe the nerves get fatigued from firing? A body in motion stays in motion etc...

And sometimes the brain says...It's just better not to think about it and just do what feels good. smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2013 02:06PM by Wannabe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login