Posted by deaner 
deaner
Dane Aura
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

Anyone from Idaho?
December 30, 2013 10:42AM
We visited some of my wife's family in Caldwell for Christmas and absolutely fell in love with Idaho. Since being home now for 3-4 days our heads are still out there and I can't seem to stop researching jobs/homes/mx trails/car events/ duck hunting, etc. We're seriously working out a plan to get moved out there in the next couple of years, sooner should opportunity arise. Anyhow, just checking to see if anyone on here is from the area!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

Re: Anyone from Idaho?
December 30, 2013 11:29AM
i lived in boise and mountain home for about 4.5 years. Loved it! Would go back AND there is a rally right in town! (Idaho Rally)

boise is a clean city. cold in the winter, hot in the summer. wonderful scenery to the south and north.

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

December 30, 2013 12:19PM
I work for a company based out of boise. I really like the area. Two hillclimbs in your backyard, monthly rallycrosses on a short stage road...
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

December 30, 2013 02:19PM
i used to make fun of Idaho (like i do all the middle states), but ended up out there for work in Idaho Falls. I flat out fell in love with the area of the Idaho/Wyoming border. I would love to live there.
deaner
Dane Aura
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

December 30, 2013 02:49PM
Same here Tim. Never really even thought about Idaho until this last trip out. I lived in MT for a few years and then Wyoming for another few. Idaho felt kind of like a blend of the two. Jobs and the people of WY mixed with the lifestyle and scenery of MT.

I keep watching YouTube videos of riding(mx) the ridge trails outside of Boise and it has me thinking of expediting the move lol.
BlackWidow
Michael Golden
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1972 Datsun 510

December 30, 2013 02:52PM
My ex mother & father inlaw just went out there looking at homes. They said i would love it there. So now i have been looking at homes out there and just doing a bunch of internet searches. They looked near the Boise area. Sounds lilke a nice place and i even read that the energy bills are some of the loweset in the country. I would love t hear more aobut what you find out about moving there.

Mike
deaner
Dane Aura
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

December 30, 2013 03:33PM
BlackWidow
My ex mother & father inlaw just went out there looking at homes. They said i would love it there. So now i have been looking at homes out there and just doing a bunch of internet searches. They looked near the Boise area. Sounds lilke a nice place and i even read that the energy bills are some of the loweset in the country. I would love t hear more aobut what you find out about moving there.

Mike

Just from the bit I've been looking around at, homes and the cost of living look really nice. I've found numerous nice homes(less than 10yo, 4-5 bed, 2-2500sqft, garage space,etc) at less than $170k. At least coming from my neck of the woods, the same homes go for at least $100k more. We've got things to take care of here in MN before we can pull the trigger. I'm having a harder time finding what jobs are paying out there and if I want to get back into spinning wrenches(not really lol.) The company I work for has a plant in Lewiston and could probably transfer, but I think we'd be better off down by Boise.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

December 30, 2013 03:54PM
Jobs are the hard part.
Now that there is a kiddo around the pull back to Wyoming where my family and cousins and all the kids are is strong. Luckily (or sadly) there are zero jobs for me there outside of academia in most states and my wife's company here in Denver is doing awesome and can't easily relocate.

Grant Hughes
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

December 30, 2013 04:45PM
Boise area is about the only place I'd seriously consider living in ID. (Idaho Falls born and raised...)

Although, after visiting my sister in law near McCall (~2hrs straight north of Boise), I'd consider that too - beautiful country up there. Probably not a lot of need for Software Injur-neers like myself up there. (yeah, yeah, telecommute, I know. problem is, I kind of like having cow-irkers. Weird, I know.)

If anybody's in the computer hardware world, I'm pretty sure Micron is still in Boise, although I think they've downsized quite a bit from what they used to be (one of the largest single employers there IIRC).

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
deaner
Dane Aura
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

December 31, 2013 05:19PM
Exactly Grant. I've got a few trade skills and my wife wouldnt have trouble finding work, but my wife and I are fiiiiiiiiinally on the upswing financially in our jobs. Not to mention we both enjoy our employment now lol. Our plan now is to clean up some obligations here in MN, rathole as much money as we can and just do it lol. Race cars going to take back seat for now but will be well worth it!
fliz
Chad Eixenberger
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 VW Golf #687

December 31, 2013 05:30PM
Aaron Luptak
Boise area is about the only place I'd seriously consider living in ID. (Idaho Falls born and raised...)

Although, after visiting my sister in law near McCall (~2hrs straight north of Boise), I'd consider that too - beautiful country up there. Probably not a lot of need for Software Injur-neers like myself up there. (yeah, yeah, telecommute, I know. problem is, I kind of like having cow-irkers. Weird, I know.)

If anybody's in the computer hardware world, I'm pretty sure Micron is still in Boise, although I think they've downsized quite a bit from what they used to be (one of the largest single employers there IIRC).

I grew up in N. Idaho (Coeur d'Alene area). I always thought it was more beautiful than Boise. There's a bit of industry in Spokane, although not exactly a "hotbed" My dad was EE turned Software Engineer working in Spokane for 30 years until he was laid off this past summer.

I would love to get back there eventually, although not until the kids are through school.
biggreen96
Chris Caylor
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Old Legacy- not very stock.

January 11, 2014 02:45PM
Up here in Moscow Idaho(just south of Spokane and CDA) it's great. I grew up in Boise, it is clean and pleasant but I've decided N. Idaho is the way to go. More trees up here and I have stage roads right out the backdoorsmiling smiley

Brap Brap.
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

January 13, 2014 01:30PM
biggreen96
Up here in Moscow Idaho(just south of Spokane and CDA) it's great. I grew up in Boise, it is clean and pleasant but I've decided N. Idaho is the way to go. More trees up here and I have stage roads right out the backdoorsmiling smiley

You coming back to rally idaho this year?
biggreen96
Chris Caylor
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Old Legacy- not very stock.

January 13, 2014 02:00PM
Can't say for sure if I'll drive but I want to attend or codrive at least. I'm painting the interior of the car at the moment so progress IS being made. smiling smiley

Brap Brap.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 13, 2014 06:15PM
biggreen96
Can't say for sure if I'll drive but I want to attend or codrive at least. I'm painting the interior of the car at the moment so progress IS being made. smiling smiley

Dammit Chris, what do we need to do to repair of rebuild your suspenders?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login